• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] If you give an INFP a drink (or a few drinks)...

Onceajoan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
If you give an INFP a drink (or a few drinks).....will they confess?

their inner most feelings, their upmost desire, romantic sentiment and other secrets?

Last edited:

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Maybe if you ask me the right questions... who knows? :blush: I wasn't very often drunk, but it makes me talk a lot; however no one tried to ask for any of those things then. Though I do know that I can talk also a lot of nonsense in drunken state which is not that true.

Serenes

MBTI Type
INFP
This is why I don't drink much or at all :p .. I had a few drinks before but I always knew what I was doing and aware of what I was sharing, sooo it'd be the same really. I personally would never drink to the point where I lost control of myself & my thoughts. That's scary :shock: lol

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
its wrong to alter someones brains with alcohol to make them say something that they wouldnt normally say

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP

their inner most feelings, their upmost desire, romantic sentiment and other secrets?

No. Well, it has happened a couple of times, but usually that's not the case. Actually, considering how often I've got drunk enough to lose my memory it is surprising I have confessed so little. And even if I was drunk enough to confess, I won't if you don't ask. And if you ask, I would answer even when sober, so I really don't know how the alcohol will help you in this case. Well, maybe I won't remember that I confessed...

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
If you let them drink a beer mixed with Fanta, they will after the first 1/4th dance on the table making a huge party with everyone, be hard to tame at all and always shout for more more and more. Then approximatly 10 minutes later, when they have drunk another 1/4th, so a whole half of Fanta/Beer, they will be totally drunk and complain about they have to vomit any second.

Then by all means prevent them from drinking the 3rd 1/4th, even if they may intentionally hurt you for it and rip your eyebrows out of your skull, otherwise you may end up being vomitted from head to toe and having a sleeping infp in your arms you carry home :)

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
@entropie: :laugh: I liked that post, although I know it is not true for me!

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I'm definitely *more* open and silly than when sober, but that's mainly because it's easier for me to find the words. Alcohol lubricates my Ne. However, I'm far less likely to share any soul-level insights in that state. Lubricated Ne leads to repressed Fi.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm also sillier and less inhibited, but the deep thoughts are being killed off by the alcohol :p. You're not going to get any confession concerning profound feelings out of me then.

Onceajoan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I'm definitely *more* open and silly than when sober, but that's mainly because it's easier for me to find the words. Alcohol lubricates my Ne. However, I'm far less likely to share any soul-level insights in that state. Lubricated Ne leads to repressed Fi.

Hmmm. That's interesting - the idea that lubricated Ne leads to repressed Fi. It seems to be a general consensus that one would be no more successful obtaining a true confession from an INFP if he or she was drunk rather than sober. This suprises me a bit since I generally assume that people are less inhibited and more open to influence in a drunken state. It is also true, I believe, as someone mentioned in their post, that while drunk we often say things that we don't mean. No one takes a drunk seriously when they're being silly and/or obnoxious (if really gone).

I wasn't planning on using this as a strategy, I just wanted others to comment on what would be the most likely response by an INFP given this scenario. When is an INFP not defended? Under what conditions do they actually reveal their feelings? Those are the underlying questions. It's a bit disconcerting to learn that even in a drunken state an INFP is unlikely to reveal much of anything. It seems to demonstrate to me the depths to which they will guard their feelings.

If you were to take a poll, I don't think this would be true of other types. Using myself (a nonINFP) as an example, I remember getting drunk many years ago and confessing my true feelings for a guy to a friend. I really regreted it later. I had no attention of EVER telling anyone and yet I spilled my guts out to a friend. I was later embarrassed by my remarks - so personal. I think I did it though because I had carried the feelings so long, I felt I needed to be able to share with someone the depths of my feelings else I would explode. Why wouldn't an INFP be the same?

I'm also sillier and less inhibited, but the deep thoughts are being killed off by the alcohol :p. You're not going to get any confession concerning profound feelings out of me then.

Yeah, Orange. You seem to hold the majority view.

If you let them drink a beer mixed with Fanta, they will after the first 1/4th dance on the table making a huge party with everyone, be hard to tame at all and always shout for more more and more. Then approximatly 10 minutes later, when they have drunk another 1/4th, so a whole half of Fanta/Beer, they will be totally drunk and complain about they have to vomit any second.

Yeah, that kinda sounds like an ENTP response. Not too simple to implement in reality.

Then by all means prevent them from drinking the 3rd 1/4th, even if they may intentionally hurt you for it and rip your eyebrows out of your skull, otherwise you may end up being vomitted from head to toe and having a sleeping infp in your arms you carry home :)

Having a sleeping INFP in my arms to carry home was the intention (sans le barf) :newwink:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, if you noticed there were some posts that, paraphrased, come down to "I got drunk and spilled my guts a few times, but I don't generally open up when drunk." Make of that what you will. :laugh:

As far as opening up, it depends on the INFP. I can be pretty open with people I trust and who I know have good intentions towards me. However, I have a hard time finding the words sometimes, so it can still be tough for me to get into the really deep stuff.

My defenses start coming down when I feel like the other person is listening to me without negatively judging me. Usually, if they can do that for a little bit, my floodgates eventually open. Sometimes to my chagrin. :dry:

Onceajoan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
its wrong to alter someones brains with alcohol to make them say something that they wouldnt normally say

I agree. Actually, this post is really a joke - I have a dry sense of humor that others don't always appreciate or get. Under what conditions do you suggest that an INFP would actually open up? Would mind altering drugs work?

Well, if you noticed there were some posts that, paraphrased, come down to "I got drunk and spilled my guts a few times, but I don't generally open up when drunk." Make of that what you will. :laugh:

As far as opening up, it depends on the INFP. I can be pretty open with people I trust and who I know have good intentions towards me. However, I have a hard time finding the words sometimes, so it can still be tough for me to get into the really deep stuff.

My defenses start coming down when I feel like the other person is listening to me without negatively judging me. Usually, if they can do that for a little bit, my floodgates eventually open. Sometimes to my chagrin. :dry:

Thanks Udog. That's helpful. Your right that some did , in fact, admit to spilling their guts. I guess it just comes down to a matter of trust in terms of an INFP opening up.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Having a sleeping INFP in my arms to carry home was the intention (sans le barf) :newwink:

If the motive is to knock them out & take advantage of them, then it might work, but I'd advise you against it still :horor: :D

I tend to open up if the other person does also; there needs to be a shared vulnerability. So I'd suggest opening up yourself.

Also, watch for signs of the INFP testing you; at least, I do this with people. I might let a little something slip and see their response, if they can handle it or not.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Same here. I am more honest and open (and silly) but don't tend to engage in confessional discussions.

Besides, even when drunk, I'm still very conscious of the company and how I feel about them. If I don't feel an affinity for the person when I'm sober, I'm not going feel it when I'm drunk, and therefore, remain disinclined to share inner thoughts and feelings.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a well documented weakness for Marshmallow Peeps. Perhaps that'll work on your guy, too.

I tend to open up if the other person does also; there needs to be a shared vulnerability. So I'd suggest opening up yourself.

Good point. Some INFJs need the other person to open up a whole bunch before they'll offer a trickle in return, and that doesn't work with many INFPs.

Also, watch for signs of the INFP testing you; at least, I do this with people. I might let a little something slip and see their response, if they can handle it or not.

I sometimes do this as well, but less so now. I don't know... I think I'm getting to lazy too bother with such tactics in my old age. :D These days, I guess I do mini word floods, where I just open up everything to a certain level. If they respond positively, I may open up further. If they just sort of awkwardly back out of the room, then now I know.

Onceajoan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I have a well documented weakness for Marshmallow Peeps. Perhaps that'll work on your guy, too.

Well, Easter is coming up in a few months... I guess I'll just have to wait until April. It's already been 2 years - what's another 4 months. :wink:

Some INFJs need the other person to open up a whole bunch before they'll offer a trickle in return, and that doesn't work with many INFPs.

Yeah. Well. I just opened up a whole bunch (non inebriated semiconfessional) to an INFP after he confronted me about my feelings - and he was pretty insistent I give him an answer (I didn't know INFPs could be like that). He caught me off guard and I couldn't respond. He was pretty impatient with me and said, "you're not answering the question." I just couldn't answer him on the spot because the feelings run so deep. Later I emailed him a lengthy email revealing to him in great detail how I feel when I'm with him. I just wish he would return the favor. I hope I didn't scare him away with the intensity of the feelings I expressed. It will be interesting to see how he responds.

If the motive is to knock them out & take advantage of them, then it might work, but I'd advise you against it still :horor: :D

You know guys aren't so great at performing when they're drunk. However, tying him to bedposts might be a secondary means of procuring a confession.

I have opened myself up quite a bit. However, It seems like he's playing catch up with me much of the time. That's my concern. The increasing sense of vulnerability that has not been reciprocated. He has opened up in the last few months having become much more comfortable. He says it feels really good to be with me and he enjoys our time together because we have a lot of fun. But I'm not sure the feelings go any deeper. With INFP, they do, don't they? I don't know.

He tests me ALL of the time. It's only after the conversation that I figure out what he was actually saying. I'm constantly reading between the lines. It feels a bit intimidating to constantly feel like you're being scrutinized. However, I figure either he likes me or he doesn't. There's not much I can do but be myself.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah. Well. I just opened up a whole bunch (non inebriated semiconfessional) to an INFP after he confronted me about my feelings - and he was pretty insistent I give him an answer (I didn't know INFPs could be like that). He caught me off guard and I couldn't respond. He was pretty impatient with me and said, "you're not answering the question." I just couldn't answer him on the spot because the feelings run so deep. Later I emailed him a lengthy email revealing to him in great detail how I feel when I'm with him. I just wish he would return the favor. I hope I didn't scare him away with the intensity of the feelings I expressed. It will be interesting to see how he responds.

Since he started it, and demanded an answer, you have the right to demand reciprocation. I wouldn't hesitate to email/call/tell him it's his turn. Since you needed a bit of time, do be fair and give him some as well, though. It may take him a bit longer because if he does have some deeper feelings, he's probably going to struggle to get the words right.

Anyway, good luck. Hope he's just gotten really shy and will come around. :)

Onceajoan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Udog - Thanks for your support. I'll be seeing him soon. And we have planned to talk about my email. So, we'll see how it goes. In the meanwhile, I'm biting my nails.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Shape those nails into razor edge claws, and if he doesn't open back up (after pulling a stunt like he did), you may commence with the stabbing and slashing. :D