User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Or talking him into therapy wouldn't be a bad idea either.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

important note -

emotional eating and food addiction are not necessarily the same thing. it's true that addiction and emotion often overlap, because the brain chemistry involves overlapping processes, but one can be an emotional eater without being addicted and one can be addicted without eating in correspondence with emotional flux.

this is especially relevant in an FP, imo, because of the intense emotional swings we experience. if he IS an emotional eater then that will be very, very helpful for him to know, but if he is not, then the strategies geared towards emotional eaters are not going to help him.

i know because i have had eating issues, both at the not-eating-enough end and the eating-too-much end.

i wonder if the enneagram couldn't be a useful tool. 2, 7, 4, and 9 especially have food addiction connections.

A window to the soul

Lightbulb Addiction

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    important note -
    emotional eating and food addiction are not necessarily the same thing. it's true that addiction and emotion often overlap, because the brain chemistry involves overlapping processes, but one can be an emotional eater without being addicted and one can be addicted without eating in correspondence with emotional flux.
    If one is not addicted to the food, then perhaps one is addicted to the endorphins. It's a well known fact that "emotional eaters" are comforted by the release of endorphins their 'comfort foods' stimulate:
    http://codependentboundaries.blogspo...ependents.html

The psychological dependency of an emotional eater could also be compared to the psychological dependency of a drug user:

The emotional eater eats comfort foods, feels the short-term comforting effects of the endorphins, endorphins wear off, rich comfort foods are stored as fat, and the emotional eater feels worse. The cycle is repeated.

The substance abuser takes a drug, feels the short-term 'high' effects of the drug, the drug wears off, the drug user feels worse. The cycle is repeated.

Here are medical vs. psychology definitions of addiction:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addiction

A window to the soul

Lightbulb The Solution

Exercise also stimulates the production of endorphins, so simply replace emotional eating with an emotional workout.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

^ actually, it's not a bad point, though you have to be careful they don't get addicted to exercise either... lol...

though seriously there are non-addicted people who eat according to their emotions with no other pathology than adding caloric intake when they're upset, because of the happy/numbing effect. addiction easily follows, but is not always present... not until the emotional eater feels that they cannot cope without food, and until their body comes to rely on the food for the emotional upswing instead of creating its own. i just think it's important to not confuse all emotional eaters for food addicts.

anyway perfectgirl good point about endorphins

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Well, I'm not a nutrionist or excercise guru, but i am an INFP. I believe OP was looking for perspective of infps rather than answers from other intps or other types. That's why I replied in the first place, not for an argument about who's lifestyle is better. I was tired last night and not really prepared for what I was getting into . Please don't get me wrong, many good points were brought up but it depends on each individual to decide what is right for themselves and how to go about achieving the desired results. For real, all of these clinical arguments about how to "fix" what is wrong with him/me are more likely to scare me off rather than help. Just my thoughts.

A window to the soul

^ aw, no frownies allowed in this thread. it's all good.

I'm just trying to challenge everyone to think instead of giving up so easily. I understand we can't force anybody to do anything and that the will to change has to come from within. I'm a dreamer, I want to believe there's more we can do.

I do believe we can motivate and inspire others through our actions & words. I like what Randomnity said about setting a good example. I Also, think it doesn't hurt to offer some options.

I love tawanda's duck tape idea, when all else fails... awesome!!!
    Last edited by A window to the soul; 12-13-2010 at 07:14 PM.