• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What's the deal with this?

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I have to ask what causes this behavior/reaction to socializing -

I type as an introvert, but I actually really enjoy people. So every so often I decide that we should have a party and invite a bunch of people over. Or we will decide to go to a party at someone's house.

But then I get this huge energy thing, which I can only describe as a physical "buzzing" sensation all over my whole body. It is very unpleasant and ends up causing me to act very, I don't know, idiot-like. I start laughing too loud and uncontrollably at things that are only mildly funny, acting sort of dramatic and completely unlike myself. Then I chastize myself later for acting like an idiot. (I should mention that I do not drink or use drugs, this is unrelated to using substances, although the result sounds similar, doesn't it?)

So what is that "buzzing" energy thing? Is it overstimulation? Is there any way to avoid it? The only thing I have found that helps is to actually leave and go to a dark room and wait until it calms down a little bit, and that tends to help only a little bit.

Also, I find it completely impossible to sleep for hours after a social interaction like that.

I've read that extroverts get their energy from other people, but I'm supposed to be an introvert. Plus, I would describe that as too much energy and completely unhelpful!

Any thoughts?

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I was young and more introverted, that sort of happened to me. I would classify it as over-stimulation from other people. I used to get really crazy and hyper. But I never chastised myself for it.

I guess I wouldn't say you are an extrovert based off of that. Introverts can enjoy being around people too, obviously. Needing to go to a dark room, or needing to be alone, points even more towards introversion. I have an INFJ friend, and she is always socializing with people- even more so than me.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I have to ask what causes this behavior/reaction to socializing -

I type as an introvert, but I actually really enjoy people. So every so often I decide that we should have a party and invite a bunch of people over. Or we will decide to go to a party at someone's house.

But then I get this huge energy thing, which I can only describe as a physical "buzzing" sensation all over my whole body. It is very unpleasant and ends up causing me to act very, I don't know, idiot-like. I start laughing too loud and uncontrollably at things that are only mildly funny, acting sort of dramatic and completely unlike myself. Then I chastize myself later for acting like an idiot. (I should mention that I do not drink or use drugs, this is unrelated to using substances, although the result sounds similar, doesn't it?)

So what is that "buzzing" energy thing? Is it overstimulation? Is there any way to avoid it? The only thing I have found that helps is to actually leave and go to a dark room and wait until it calms down a little bit, and that tends to help only a little bit.

Also, I find it completely impossible to sleep for hours after a social interaction like that.

I've read that extroverts get their energy from other people, but I'm supposed to be an introvert. Plus, I would describe that as too much energy and completely unhelpful!

Any thoughts?

I would bet that it has something to with your inferior Se emerging for the party to hang out with its extroverted buddy Fe whose hosting the party. Your Se isn't used to being so stimulated, and so you don't know how to control it that well.

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
It sounds like being overstimulated. Ever hear of people say things like, "I'm too tired to sleep?"

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Your Se isn't used to being so stimulated, and so you don't know how to control it that well.

I don't know why, but that line sounded really funny to me :cheese:

When I read that, I thought, "I didn't even know I had an Se. No wonder I'm bad at it."

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I sometimes get that kind of feeling when doing something crazy. Like, a week ago we were shooting a short film and there was some weird stuff we filmed on the attic, and I got so excited with it, it took me whole night to calm down. My heart was racing the whole night, it was weird...

Lauren

MBTI Type
INFP
I sometimes get that kind of feeling when doing something crazy. Like, a week ago we were shooting a short film and there was some weird stuff we filmed on the attic, and I got so excited with it, it took me whole night to calm down. My heart was racing the whole night, it was weird...

Yes, the same thing happened to me years ago. In a college writing competition (we had to roam around a location for a day and find something to write about), I hit on an idea for a piece , wrote it up, realized (others told me) it had a shot at an award and I became so high from all of that as I was eating dinner with my then-boyfriend, I nearly hyperventilated. The physical reactions were over the top; my head was buzzing and I couldn't quiet myself. Generally, I'm quiet until I'm face to face with people or in a situation requiring me to be extraverted. Then I'm talking and buzzed until I suddenly shut down and have to go away to a quiet place.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I've never hyperventilated, instead I hear my heart in my ears and feel like it's too hot or too cold. I guess my blood pressure gets somehow freaky, because it's the only thing I can think of that would cause these effects.