User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Hopefully this won't be offensive to anyone but this introversion/extroversion concept nags me.

If by defining introversion/extroversion by charging with or without other people, we have to question why the difference of recharging. Do introverts (and I still might be one myself since some people drain me badly and others charge) lean towards a tendency to want to control the interaction, that in anticipating how the interaction would go, feel drained when it doesn't go the expected way so more energy must be put into the interaction to reroute it to anticipated results?
    Fascinating.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Hopefully this won't be offensive to anyone but this introversion/extroversion concept nags me.

If by defining introversion/extroversion by charging with or without other people, we have to question why the difference of recharging. Do introverts (and I still might be one myself since some people drain me badly and others charge) lean towards a tendency to want to control the interaction, that in anticipating how the interaction would go, feel drained when it doesn't go the expected way so more energy must be put into the interaction to reroute it to anticipated results?
    For me just interacting with people and remembering my social skills takes energy. Some situations (being polite, controlling emotions, unpleasant people, awkward introverts, strangers) are more draining for me than others (pleasant extroverts who guide conversation without dominating, discussions of technical things, close friends).

I suppose it would be more stressful and therefore more draining if someone did completely bizarre things and I had to figure out how to react, and things like rude behaviour and criticism are stressful as well, but I don't have a need to control things like conversational topics - I'm actually happier not to control it, as long as I'm not forced into silence by a pushy extrovert.
    -end of thread-

Less topical although it might be, and more expected outcome where expected outcome might be a light, pleasant series of banter or anything else. When an introvert creates an anticipated outcome, perhaps it includes self-positioning or preconceived lines where when the interaction heads in another direction, there's a lot more gear shifting that goes on.

MBTI
    INFJ

Randomnity: Some situations (being polite, controlling emotions, unpleasant people, awkward introverts, strangers) are more draining for me than others (pleasant extroverts who guide conversation without dominating, discussions of technical things, close friends).
    Funny - I would define draining vs. easy/pleasant social interactions in exactly the same way as you did.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Less topical although it might be, and more expected outcome where expected outcome might be a light, pleasant series of banter or anything else. When an introvert creates an anticipated outcome, perhaps it includes self-positioning or preconceived lines where when the interaction heads in another direction, there's a lot more gear shifting that goes on.
    I guess I still don't understand what you're saying when you say "another direction". I think it's logical that introverts will react more strongly to stressful social situations than extroverts. I would suspect Ps will be more flexible than Js with unexpected changes in conversational flow, as will people with greater social skills (often but not exclusively extroverts). Still not sure what the control is of, and why introversion wants control.

Do you mean control from unwanted excessive stimuli? I think some definitions of introversion mention sensitivity to noises, etc. So someone yelling at us would probably be more stressful than to an extrovert, in general.
    -end of thread-

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I guess I still don't understand what you're saying when you say "another direction". I think it's logical that introverts will react more strongly to stressful social situations than extroverts. I would suspect Ps will be more flexible than Js with unexpected changes in conversational flow, as will people with greater social skills (often but not exclusively extroverts). Still not sure what the control is of, and why introversion wants control.

Do you mean control from unwanted excessive stimuli? I think some definitions of introversion mention sensitivity to noises, etc. So someone yelling at us would probably be more stressful than to an extrovert, in general.
    Elements of any kind might need to be controlled.

So you know, these are just thoughts without a complete and definitive concept. I'm throwing them out for interest or battering sake. And for certain, psych isn't my expertise but it is eternally fascinating.

Let's look at it from a different perspective. Introverts have internal worlds. Those internal worlds are controlled. So when an introvert seeks external input, they go into an uncontrolled environment, particularly when it encompasses people. Looking at people in general, many try to recreate comfortable environments. Apply this to introversion.

MBTI
    INTJ

Whoa...what are you asking here?

I don't want to control the interaction- I may have expectations of how it's going to go, based on my Si + Ne and that may make me want to shrivel up and disappear, but I'm not trying to control what happens during. My Si/Ne (not that's it's always negative, but the thought of being around people can frustrate me) might be wrong; I could have a great time, laughing and joking and all that, but when it's all said and done I need to chill out. Alone. No kind of stimulation. That usually means I need to sleep, since that's the only way I can be sure that I won't get into something that will drain me further.

MBTI
    INTJ

Elements of any kind might need to be controlled.

So you know, these are just thoughts without a complete and definitive concept. I'm throwing them out for interest or battering sake. And for certain, psych isn't my expertise but it is eternally fascinating.

Let's look at it from a different perspective. Introverts have internal worlds. Those internal worlds are controlled. So when an introvert seeks external input, they go into an uncontrolled environment, particularly when it encompasses people. Looking at people in general, many try to recreate comfortable environments. Apply this to introversion.
    The introvert who likes reading and other solitary stuff -external stimuli that they can control. Friends who they know will sit there and stare at the wall with them- controlled.

When I want to be around people, I want some stimulation LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    Whoa...what are you asking here?

I don't want to control the interaction- I may have expectations of how it's going to go, based on my Si + Ne and that may make me want to shrivel up and disappear, but I'm not trying to control what happens during. My Si/Ne (not that's it's always negative, but the thought of being around people can frustrate me) might be wrong; I could have a great time, laughing and joking and all that, but when it's all said and done I need to chill out. Alone. No kind of stimulation. That usually means I need to sleep, since that's the only way I can be sure that I won't get into something that will drain me further.
    Detachment or disengaging are forms of control.
    Last edited by bechimo; 12-02-2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: When adding content, the plural nature of addition should affect verbs,etc. It be very pain.

MBTI
    INTJ

Detachment or disengaging are forms of control.
    But isn't your question about control when you are around others- not when you're alone?