User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 67

  1. #51
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    I think I can say with a fairly high degree of confidence that most won't even be interested in this thread.
    All but the narcissistic feel this way.

    Cannot relate. And I do not think this is INTP-typical. One of our distinguishing features is how little we are influenced by the opinions of others. Usually the endorsement of others is a reason for me to avoid something - I genuinely dislike the times when my tastes and those of the general public are in agreement - mostly because I think the tastes of the general public are pretty crass and vulgar, and I don't like to think that about myself (whether it's true or not).

    I have little interest in convincing anyone to do anything. I see that as respecting their autonomy. Where I differ is that I'm also immensely stubborn and resistant to the persuasive attempts of others - the harder someone tries, the more likely they are to fail completely - which again, is pretty characteristic of INTPs, I'd have said. We are frustratingly inpenetrable.

    I don't care about harmony other than in v. close relationships.

    Yes. In my case, part of that is respecting the other person's space, and part is about a hatred of obligation.

    Are you an INTP by any chance? I did not see a type specified in your profile.

    I am thinking that maybe I really am an Fe user. By Fe user I mean dominant or auxiliary Fe.

    The thing is I don't relate much to the FJ type profiles except for ISFJ. I relate to quite a bit of the ISFJ profile but seriously doubt I am one. For one thing, I feel like my Ne is strong. Also, I am less traditionally minded than typical ISFJs. There are other things too that I won't get into right now. That's for a whole new thread.

    I
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  2. #52
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Are you an INTP by any chance? I did not see a type specified in your profile.

    I am thinking that maybe I really am an Fe user. By Fe user I mean dominant or auxiliary Fe.

    The thing is I don't relate much to the FJ type profiles except for ISFJ. I relate to quite a bit of the ISFJ profile but seriously doubt I am one. For one thing, I feel like my Ne is strong. Also, I am less traditionally minded than typical ISFJs. There are other things too that I won't get into right now. That's for a whole new thread.
    I test as INTP, yes.

    I think preoccupation with type is a trap. MBTI is an interesting way of collecting traits and theorizing about personality constructs, but I've come to accept that the search for a type that fits one perfectly is a deeply flawed exercise.

    When I look at this thread I see a lot of people talking about issues which in psychology circles would be linked with low self-esteem and other disorders, and justifying it as an expression of "Fe". A function that actually has no meaning other than labeling a collection of behaviours. Affirming each other because "oooh, I'm like that too!" rather than considering whether certain behaviours are unhealthy and represent obstacles to growth.

    Not having a solid sense of your own identity and being overly-accommodating to others is not a feature of a mature, healthy personality, however one wants to label it.

    Just my 2c.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  3. #53
    can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    3,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post

    When I look at this thread I see a lot of people talking about issues which in psychology circles would be linked with low self-esteem and other disorders, and justifying it as an expression of "Fe". A function that actually has no meaning other than labeling a collection of behaviours. Affirming each other because "oooh, I'm like that too!" rather than considering whether certain behaviours are unhealthy and represent obstacles to growth.

    Not having a solid sense of your own identity and being overly-accommodating to others is not a feature of a mature, healthy personality, however one wants to label it.
    That’s^ true, it’s not particularly healthy- but they are too common tendencies amongst the Fe’ers I know. I’m not willing to go back and reread the thread, but I don’t remember most of the posts necessarily ‘justifying’ these behaviors/tendencies as expressions of Fe- it seems to me like most of us are pretty solidly of the opinion that they’re inconvenient and problematic.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

    5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

  4. #54
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    That’s^ true, it’s not particularly healthy- but they are too common tendencies amongst the Fe’ers I know. I’m not willing to go back and reread the thread, but I don’t remember most of the posts necessarily ‘justifying’ these behaviors/tendencies as expressions of Fe- it seems to me like most of us are pretty solidly of the opinion that they’re inconvenient and problematic.
    My criticism is not of this thread and its posters but of the whole MBTI approach: Does it sanction certain unhealthy behaviours as normal based on an assumption that function order is innate (and the accompanying assumption that everything that is natural is ok)? Despite there being no evidence that functions even exist... etc, etc, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  5. #55
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    http://www.personalitypage.com/html/personal.html

    This page has a nice summary^^ but a snip:

    Recognize Your Weaknesses Without Hiding Behind Them

    While improving our self-knowledge and realizing our true goals can be very liberating, we should not discard the rules of the society in which we live. We must recognize that other people's value systems are no less important than our own. And we must recognize and accept that we live in a society in which certain personality types and behaviors are more suited towards particular tasks. This is the second key that will open the door towards personal growth.

    For example, there are situations in which it is more appropriate and effective to show compassion and caring (Feeling), rather than impersonal logic (Thinking). Likewise, there are situations that call for using impersonal logic to make a decision, in which the more subjective viewpoint of the Feeling function is inappropriate and ineffective. Persons with a preference for Feeling will have a natural advantage over Thinkers in situations that require compassion and awareness of other's emotions. Conversely, persons with a preference for Thinking will have a natural advantage over Feelers in situations that require the ability to make a decision based on impersonal data.

    As we learn about our personality type and the types of others, we are empowered with an understanding of why people react differently in different situations. When put into the context of Psychological Type, we can better accept and understand people's behaviors that are different from ours. These insights are extremely useful and powerful to us as individuals. However, if we are concerned with growing as individuals, we must take care not to use personality type as an excuse for our inappropriate behavior. While it's powerful and useful to notice that another person's inappropriate behavior may be due to their personality type, we cannot use the same reasoning on ourselves. We should recognize that our personality type has weaknesses, but we must use that knowledge to conquer those weaknesses rather than to excuse poor behavior. We cannot be responsible for other people's behavior, but we can control our own. "

    The value of understanding type and functions-is that each type has a different set of weaknesses and requires a different set of tools to address those weaknesses. People are not the same, problems are not the same, solutions are not the same.

    The notion that one problem=one solution for everyone strikes me as Fe being presumptuous and projective and unwilling to note that half of the world is not motivated or seeing the world through the lens of Fe....

  6. #56
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    http://www.personalitypage.com/html/personal.html

    This page has a nice summary^^ but a snip:

    Recognize Your Weaknesses Without Hiding Behind Them

    While improving our self-knowledge and realizing our true goals can be very liberating, we should not discard the rules of the society in which we live. We must recognize that other people's value systems are no less important than our own. And we must recognize and accept that we live in a society in which certain personality types and behaviors are more suited towards particular tasks. This is the second key that will open the door towards personal growth.

    For example, there are situations in which it is more appropriate and effective to show compassion and caring (Feeling), rather than impersonal logic (Thinking). Likewise, there are situations that call for using impersonal logic to make a decision, in which the more subjective viewpoint of the Feeling function is inappropriate and ineffective. Persons with a preference for Feeling will have a natural advantage over Thinkers in situations that require compassion and awareness of other's emotions. Conversely, persons with a preference for Thinking will have a natural advantage over Feelers in situations that require the ability to make a decision based on impersonal data.

    As we learn about our personality type and the types of others, we are empowered with an understanding of why people react differently in different situations. When put into the context of Psychological Type, we can better accept and understand people's behaviors that are different from ours. These insights are extremely useful and powerful to us as individuals. However, if we are concerned with growing as individuals, we must take care not to use personality type as an excuse for our inappropriate behavior. While it's powerful and useful to notice that another person's inappropriate behavior may be due to their personality type, we cannot use the same reasoning on ourselves. We should recognize that our personality type has weaknesses, but we must use that knowledge to conquer those weaknesses rather than to excuse poor behavior. We cannot be responsible for other people's behavior, but we can control our own. "

    The value of understanding type and functions-is that each type has a different set of weaknesses and requires a different set of tools to address those weaknesses. People are not the same, problems are not the same, solutions are not the same.

    The notion that one problem=one solution for everyone strikes me as Fe being presumptuous and projective and unwilling to note that half of the world is not motivated or seeing the world through the lens of Fe....

    Great point to make here.

    It takes 2, point blank, and a middle ground has to be made. An educated Fe user is empowered to not let those feelings take control of them.

    My Fe using friend likes to shame me and call me cold hearted because my outlook on interpersonal matters isn't a one size fits all approach like his.

  7. #57
    Senior Member mochajava's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    478

    Default

    Salome When I look at this thread I see a lot of people talking about issues which in psychology circles would be linked with low self-esteem and other disorders, and justifying it as an expression of "Fe". A function that actually has no meaning other than labeling a collection of behaviours. Affirming each other because "oooh, I'm like that too!" rather than considering whether certain behaviours are unhealthy and represent obstacles to growth.

    Not having a solid sense of your own identity and being overly-accommodating to others is not a feature of a mature, healthy personality, however one wants to label it.

    Just my 2c.
    I agree with you, even though I'm definitely one of the people who is doing exactly what you say. All of this is reasonable. I think that realizing you're not alone, aren't a total freak of nature is the first step to realizing that something is an unhelpful tendency and changing it. It's really hard to look at yourself and see the effects of your behaviors sometimes.

    Your follow-up question is good:

    My criticism is not of this thread and its posters but of the whole MBTI approach: Does it sanction certain unhealthy behaviours as normal based on an assumption that function order is innate (and the accompanying assumption that everything that is natural is ok)? Despite there being no evidence that functions even exist... etc, etc, etc.
    Z Buck McFate: it seems to me like most of us are pretty solidly of the opinion that they’re inconvenient and problematic.
    Agreed.

  8. #58
    Senior Member Saslou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    4,915

    Default

    Wow .. I relate every much to the OP. Especially about pleasing the other person then resenting.

    Its not that i want to lose my identity, but i find myself becoming immersed with those i am close to. I don't see it as a sense of duty but simply that i care for my partners needs .. I do it out of respect and love.

    *subscribed*

  9. #59
    Symbolic Herald Vasilisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,128

    Default my reaction to some of the statements

    I Relate to the Following:

    Quote Originally Posted by Random Ness View Post
    can cause the non-Fe-user to always get their needs met, while the Fe-user never gets their needs met
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Ness View Post
    cautious about not being unwanted, yet we have a hard time telling others that they are unwanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Most people who only know me superficially are not going to see me risking a lot of unproductive conflict with them, so the people who get more facets of who I am displayed to them are those who have shown respect, reciprocation and receptivity to me, they are someone who I cannot work around without dealing with our differences, or they are in my very innermost circle. So I don't think it's all a matter of trying to please because I don't know who I am
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    My tendancy is also to need an invitation of some sort that says I am welcome to interact with a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I show parts of myself that I can sense the other person can connect with; and I don't typically bother to show parts of myself that other won't connect with. So none of what I am saying is a "lie," I'm expressing different facets of me, but it is definitely a selected group of facets.
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Sometimes we need to realize that some kinds of people will not get our subtleties (we feel we are being extremely clear, when we are in fact not!). Sometimes when people act rudely, we need to make them understand that they are crossing a line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unkindloving View Post
    In specific 'what do we do?' scenarios, I work with different questions. "What are the options?" Once we define our options- "Which are you opposed to?" I state what I am opposed to after that and we see if there is an agreement or compromise to be made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I've had these experiences of adjusting myself so the parts that show are the ones I think most likely to be harmonious or appreciated. I think of it as attuning myself to the other person. I do it because I really like it. I like to be attuned and I feel I'm gifted at attuning. That is very much a defining characteristic of mine, that I like harmony and to get along without friction. I am also always interested to see what my instrument (my self) feels like, tuned to different people, so it's fun for me, too.

    I also don't really care what the activity is. If I like a person, I'm about the person, and what we're doing is incidental. Even if I think I won't like something, if the other person really likes it a lot, I am totally up for them to show me how to like it, so I'll say I don't imagine myself liking that, but why don't you show me how, and that seems to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I will speak up when it comes to making decisions--I feel like I'm willing to compromise a lot, but I'm not willing to play the, "I don't know, what do YOU want to do" game when I'm starving. Have an opinion, or I'll decide. :-P I also hate it when I feel like I'm the only one doing the flexing. It's like an unspoken code--I accommodate you, and you accommodate me.

    I Do Not Relate to the Following:

    Quote Originally Posted by Random Ness View Post
    Always doing what the other person wants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Ness View Post
    "What do you want to do?" "What do YOU want to do?" "I don't care what we do. It's up to you." "No really, it's up to YOU." Either we randomly switch between activities, not really knowing what we ourselves want to do. Or, one of us actually does have an opinion and says: "Fuck it. I want this." without acknowledging what the other person wants at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Ness View Post
    what a Fe user thinks and does is all based on other people
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I sometimes can take something as truth if the other person sounds certain of it, when in fact it is not..... If they were trustworthy and kind in the past, it takes a long time to recognize immature or selfish behavior for what it is and draw appropriate lines to protect ourselves. It's easy for us to really believe the other person is right about us if they are someone we love.
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    the fact that they hate it spoils my own enjoyment of it and if the person is close to me, may even make me question my own taste or judgment in liking it.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project


    Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

  10. #60
    Member untypeable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    N/A
    Socionics
    N/A
    Posts
    38

    Red face Ahh, the glorious wonders of Fe!

    Quote Originally Posted by Random Ness View Post
    FJs want to be their own person. But let's face it, you have to start from somewhere. So here is how I think young and immature Fe puts too much emphasis on other people (especially secondary Fe).

    Always doing what the other person wants. We figure out what the other person wants first. Then, we usually go along with it, assuming the other person would be most happy doing what they said they want to do.

    Among two Fe-users, this can cause nothing to get done. Take me and my INFJ friend. When we are deciding what to do, it goes like this: "What do you want to do?" "What do YOU want to do?" "I don't care what we do. It's up to you." "No really, it's up to YOU." Either we randomly switch between activities, not really knowing what we ourselves want to do. Or, one of us actually does have an opinion and says: "Fuck it. I want this." without acknowledging what the other person wants at all. And, both of us being people pleasers, the other person submissively goes along with it.

    Among a Fe-user and non-Fe-user, this can cause the non-Fe-user to always get their needs met, while the Fe-user never gets their needs met. So, the we become resentful. Fed up, eventually we outwardly express our anger to you. Then you wonder why we are so pissy, because you know that if we had just said what we wanted, we wouldn't get resentful.

    Not reacting until someone else reacts, then matching their reaction. We don't know how to act around you or what to think about you until you react first. That way, we can be most pleasing to you. Or, if you react negatively, then we assume it would be most logical to you if we were negative back. Until you react to us, this can make you think we're indifferent and uncaring about you. It also prevents you from knowing what we truly think of you. If we can seperate ourselves from you enough to even have our own opinion about you.

    Communicating with you based on what we think you want to hear. We try to match your communication style so that you can think we're just like you and you'll like us. As said earlier, if you communicate to us first, then we can easily mirror how you communicate. If the circumstances change between us, and we haven't communicated since then, we freak out. Since we have no example or guide, us NFJs can get some pretty weird theories from our Ni of how we think you'll react. Then, every time you react, we automatically adjust our communication style again to match your own. To you, this switching in tone and wording can make us seem oddly scattered, rapidly bipolar, or passively opinionless. It makes it difficult for you to know what we really think, and as said earlier, if we can seperate ourselves from you enough to even have our own communication style.

    In conclusion, what a Fe user thinks and does is all based on other people, and changes in a Fe user's behavior and thoughts is based on other people's reactions, making it difficult for an immature Fe user to have their own opinions and identity.

    So, what do you think? Relate? Don't relate? Has to do with Fe? Doesn't have to do with Fe? Any differences between the four FJ types about this? Anything else to add?
    Ahhh...Feness.

    Me: What do you want to do?
    My friend: I don't know, what do you want to do? (I think she didn't even know what to do.)
    Me: I don't care. What do you want to do?
    My friend: Fiine...get an orange colored pencil.

    That's our BEAUTIFUL relationship as BEST FRIENDS!
    No, I'm serious.


    I'm so like that. Around my friend-that's-a-boy-but-not-a-boyfriend-because-I-can't-date-yet I'm ENFP, and he's ESFP so I won't lose my N-ness. Around my best friend (who I was having a conversation with above), I'm INFJ or INFP, and she's ENTx. Around my sister, I'll be ENFP, ENFJ, and INFJ. She's INFP. See? I have multiple personalities. :P

    Ahh, the glorious wonders of Fe!!!!!!
    My username, untypeable, is a pun of Untouchable by Taylor Swift. I punned it because of the relationship of my previous inabilities to be typed.
    I don't own my profile pic or avatar (I wish I did ), yada yada yada...

    Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain
    It often takes a lot of analyzing and introspective consideration to accurately discover what ones type truly is, but its all worth the journey of work required to do so, for you come out wiser about yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Algebra Teacher
    Don't steal any Harvard squirrels!

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] Do You Have a Strange Sense of Humor?
    By Chiharu in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 03:14 PM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-29-2011, 11:51 AM
  3. Fear as a driving force and mind made sense of Self
    By phobik in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-31-2009, 07:27 AM
  4. [INTJ] INTJs, how strong sense of self do you have?
    By Virtual ghost in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-16-2009, 01:55 AM
  5. [INFP] Heavy sense of self and other
    By jeeze in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-15-2008, 10:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO