• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Understanding NF friends (Questions)

Serenes

MBTI Type
INFP
Well I been posting these friendship questions on the other boards like the NT/SJ section.. and I really enjoyed reading the responses! So I've decided to post here for others who are interested in understanding their NF friends too :D

Any NFs feel free to answer any of the questions you would like to share to help others understand us better! :)

Do you ever Want to befriend someone, if so, do you ever put in the effort to hang out with them more often or find time to spend with them? Do you often try to invite them out or wait for the other person to ask instead?

Are you usually kind and say things out of politeness instead of what you really think? (like compliments and such)

If someone were annoying you, would you ever confront them about it? What would you do if you didn't like someone's company and yet they kept trying to talk to you?

Do you share personal thoughts often? Would you feel threatened/annoyed if it seemed like someone kept asking about your personal life?

Do you trust your friends easily, how do they gain your trust?

How long does it take for you to open up and feel comfortable around a friend? What kinds of people do you open up to easier or gravitate towards?

What do you enjoy most about your friends? What kind of qualities do you like in your friendship?

What qualities do you Not like in your friendships? Any deal-breakers?

How do you usually act when you're having a good time? How do you usually act when you're having a bad time?

If your friends had a totally different view on something that you believed to be important and right, would you think of them differently?

Do you ever feel like you have certain obligations to your friends and try to fulfill them? Or do you usually do it because you want to?

In turn, do you usually have any expectations of your friends? What if they don't fulfill them?

How do you usually make friends? How did you meet your best friend, and how long did it take before you acknowledged them as a 'best' friend?

What do friends do/say that make you feel closer to them?

Thank you!

Serenes

MBTI Type
INFP
Do you ever Want to befriend someone, if so, do you ever put in the effort to hang out with them more often or find time to spend with them? Do you often try to invite them out or wait for the other person to ask instead?

Yes, when I decide that I want to befriend someone.. I start to take the initiative as in being the first to approach and talk to them every chance I get. That is not my usual behavior as I am very passive/shy but if I really see the potential for a good friendship, I push myself to get to know them. With someone who seems more introverted than myself, I start to take on the extroverted role to keep the conversation going and being friendly. (so people tend to think I'm an extrovert at first - but in reality, I'm only talkative to people I feel comfortable with and Want to get to know more)

I do not invite people out often since I am very careful about being bothersome and an annoyance and I don't like putting people in a position to decline (it may make them feel bad and me too). However if I sense the person is hinting to me or gives me a vibe that they want to be in my company more than I may be more willing to ask if they want to go out and do something together. But I think I usually wait until they ask me first.

Are you usually kind and say things out of politeness instead of what you really think? (like compliments and such)

I am usually Always nice and friendly. I do tend to compliment my friends often, so sometimes I think they may not take me seriously and that would be sad.. But I DO mean what I say. Because if I didn't I wouldn't have complimented in the first place but kept quiet about it. I just like to make my friends feel good, so when I'm thinking good things about them I often just say it out loud.

If someone were annoying you, would you ever confront them about it? What would you do if you didn't like someone's company and yet they kept trying to talk to you?

Honestly, I don't think I'd ever confront them about it.. I don't like making others feel bad if it's not necessary. I would just try to avoid them and not talk as much, hoping they would get the hint. I would talk very little and give one word answers. But in general, avoiiiiddd -hides- they eventually get it so I've never had to resort to the aggressive route.

Do you share personal thoughts often? Would you feel threatened/annoyed if it seemed like someone kept asking about your personal life?

Sometimes, it depends if I'm comfortable with that certain friend. I'm somewhat selective of what I share though as it depends on the person I'm with. If I don't think they would take my ideas positively then I might be hesitant and change the subject or say 'I don't know'. With someone I feel like I can really trust and won't judge me negatively if I share, I'd be Very open.

Actually, if I Wanted to get closer to that friend, I would be happy if they asked me personal questions because it shows me that they want to know more about me. So I'm happy when friends genuinely ask me about myself, if I like them, I will share what's going on in my life and such. I'd only get annoyed if they stumbled on a sensitive topic and kept trying to pry when I didn't share much about it in the first place. I usually give one word or vague answers and change the subject right away if I'm feeling uncomfortable about certain topics.

But I do notice that I tend not to share personal information about my life much (I'm also very private).. even though I can be very open about my thoughts on ideas instead. I'm more interested in knowing more about other people than sharing about myself. I like to share about myself on my own terms instead of feeling like I'm being interrogated or interviewed. But I will try to answer if a friend really cared to know.

I've been told by certain friends that.. I trust too easily. I think maybe I do. I'm not sure how to explain but... sometimes I can just Tell if someone is a good person or not by the vibe they give off around me (sensing their genuineness and such). Plus from my constant observing, I kinda just know if I'll be safe with them or not even if I've known them for a short while. So I don't really have a set time on how long it takes for me to trust someone. Within a month or so I think I could feel close to someone if I sensed they were a really good friend somehow and I'd trust them with certain things that I know they could handle. -shrugs- Kinda weird that I trust people easily but it takes longer for me to really view someone as a 'close friend'. I view most as just friends/acquaintances that I enjoy.

To gain my trust.. you just have to be genuine and a good person.

How long does it take for you to open up and feel comfortable around a friend? What kinds of people do you open up to easier or gravitate towards?

Depends on each person. I find extroverts to be easiest to open up to though because they tend to verbalize more of their thoughts and such so I have a better understanding of where I stand with them and how they view me in a short time. Introverts take a bit of warming up and time at first but when they start opening up to me and talk more, it makes me feel more comfortable too.

I find that I gravitate towards people I view as accepting, genuine, nice, friendly and warm. People who seem opposite like domineering, unfriendly, arrogant, forceful, mean and cold are intimidating to me.

What do you enjoy most about your friends? What kind of qualities do you like in your friendship?

What I enjoy: Sharing deep, personal thoughts. Able to be random and talk about anything. Laughter! Support, helping you feel like you're not alone and doing the same for them. Having fun.
Qualities I like: Friendliness, Openness, Caring&Kind Nature, Accepting, tend to not be judgmental, Able to share feelings, Helpful, Humor(I love laughing!). Anyone with those qualities, I would like to be friends with.

Being mean for no good reason, Selfishness, Liars, Hypocrisy, breaking the laws and such, breaking promises, manipulation, never having thoughts about anything(boring)

deal-breakers: maybe if they constantly treat me bad or talk down on me... If I felt they were too much of a negative influence on me. Revealing very personal secrets.

How do you usually act when you're having a good time? How do you usually act when you're having a bad time?
If I'm having a good time, it's easy to tell because I completely light up, act all cheery & bouncy. I will start to joke and laugh a lot and always smiling. I will talk a lot.
If I'm having a bad time, I may look bored, not talk much and fidget a lot out of nervousness, stare off into the distance instead of focusing on the event/person.

If your friends had a totally different view on something that you believed to be important and right, would you think of them differently?
I love different viewpoints. I actually like you more if you have your own ideas and can support them well. I'd respect a friend if we agreed to disagree and still be okay with it. That's what makes it interesting!
The only thing that would change is that I might not talk about certain things with that friend anymore because they might not like what I have to say since I already know what they don't agree with. I don't really like making the atmosphere hostile.

Do you ever feel like you have certain obligations to your friends and try to fulfill them? Or do you usually do it because you want to?

Sometimes I do things out of obligation.. like I went to a friends birthday party even though I worried about what to expect socially. I forced myself because I Wanted to be a good friend. But in a way I still did it because I wanted to be a good friend... so I usually, if I like you enough, I do things because I want to.

In turn, do you usually have any expectations of your friends? What if they don't fulfill them?
Not really.. I try to accept people as they are. I know if I expect things out of friends all the time, I will end up disappointed. The only thing is what I said above (I may start to dislike a friend if they suddenly did things I did not think well of like.. hurting people, lying all the time, etc.) then I may drop the friendship because it's negative.

Genuinely give me compliments, doing thoughtful things like gifts even if I don't ask for it, remembering details about me or things I've shared, sharing/discussing deep and personal stuff, helping me when I need it, spending time alone with me and still able to have a good time, accept me.

crud that was long.. :doh: hope that helps though!

Last edited:

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???

Hm, I don't know if I actively befriend someone. I think it is more something which would develop naturally to me. But if I feel sympathy to the person, then obviously we could spend more time together for the next time. I usually don't invite others (anymore) but wait for the other person to ask instead, because first people made out of me a little bit paranoid guy in that regard (I need time to trust someone and feel comfortable enough to make such steps), and second I am usually not the guy who can organize some activities, because I either don't know what I could ask the other person to do or if we want to make something with more than two people, I wouldn't know whom to invite too :doh:

Well, usually I am being friendly to people. I will not always say what I really think when it is people which I don't trust really yet. With people who I trust more, I will be a bit more open in that regard, but I don't say everything I think, because apparently there is things you just don't say to people... like talking about own problems. Or you will not see them again the next time.

Depends on how much they annoy me. If I don't want to be with them, I will try to go away, and people never stalk me that much that I could talk about much experience here.

I don't share my most personal thoughts. Well, sometimes I feel threatened if people keep asking me out, so sometimes I will just talk myself out of it, because I feel when answering honestly it won't earn me more understanding but rather more distance.

I don't trust them easily. Which I blame to the fact that all my "friends" showed me quite clearly that it leads only to shit. Well, how do they gain my trust... well, it takes time at least. I have to feel comfortable around them, and feel that they are not too judging. That they can accept my quirks and my sometimes unusual behaviour. I know I became very demanding in that area in the last years... I had much issues with those things in the past. I try to give people more the favour of the moment now, but I don't always succeed.

It takes some time. And even then I won't open up about just everything. It develops slowly. I open up to people easier which are not judging me negatively constantly, who can give me the feel that they can accept me somehow how I am, which TRY to understand me at least and show honest interest, or which just have their same issues in that regard so they can relate somewhat :D

Well, you can have much fun with friends. They can really improve life quality. Some things which make the life worthful and amazing just can happen with friends and not alone, some stories you will remember all your life time.

Friends are not there to help you, from my life experience. When you are in trouble, you have no one to rely on besides your family. Every time I have to realize that again, I notice how I have more and more trouble calling people actually my friends, because in my own little idealist world friends should be there to help each other even in bad times. I try to live up to that ideal myself, but people don't consult me usually with their problems for some reason. But maybe because I seemed to have friends which seem to be not that open about their problems either always.

When I am having a good time, I have fun and can laugh about things, sometimes show my silly side which I have too :) I try to be more active in interaction. If I am having a bad time, I become very calm and don't talk much. I don't complain usually, but I think people notice still that I am not having too much fun.

I don't know. I am not very judging usually. I can accept if people are not thinking as me all the time. It gets a problem if it doesn't happen in the other way around. When I know I cannot speak openly about things, there will be every time it happens more and more distance between us.

An obligation that I feel is loyalty, and helping friends if I can and they really need my help. When I make a commitment and notice I got a better offer short after, I won't leave my friend alone for it easily. Maybe because my friends have disappointed me in that regard often, I feel the need to make it better. Other than that, I don't feel much obligations (at least none which I could think of spontaneously), I do what I want to do.

My expectations for being somewhat-friends (that is, we may talk together and do something sometimes) are not very high anymore because of negative experiences that no one could live up to that even nearly. For being called a true friend, I am rather demanding, and actually I wouldn't call anyone a real friend in my life so far when looking back at the past (although in that time I would have thought differently before); basically those things which I mentioned in the questions above already are my expectations for being a real friend. I can really forgive people if they don't constantly live up to that standards, hell, even if they don't fullfill some of those things at all, but I can not call someone a real friend if it gets too much. And it became with every friend too much so far, at least because they seem to take me for granted and let me drop if I am not useful anymore (because they have someone who they consider more fun to be with right now, or because I am having my issues and not all-happy without really being whiny) it seems.

How do you usually make friends? How did you meet your best friend, and how long did it take before you acknowledged them as a 'best' friend?

I don't know, it just happens somehow naturally.

I don't know if there is some formula... :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

If I really want to know someone better I will stalk them. However, in day to day life I find that I most often make friends by other people intiating and getting into my life, and I either accept or decline. There are a few people though, that if I take significant enough interest, I will pursue them.

I constantly say things out of politeness because I don't want to hurt people's feelings, and also because I prefer peace. I don't see any need to take my selfish moods out on others, or to cause unnecessary strife.

However, if I feel strongly about something I can be quite mean. That's not common though, not in real life. IRL that's pretty rare, unless I'm extremely tired or stressed out.

I usually placate people or give them what they want (nine times out of ten) or get away as politely as possible. If they're really bothering me I'll be forced to be abrupt, and if it's really bad, I will be like "look, give me space."

Depends on the person. I can be very, very open. I can even be too open at times. I can also feel very private at times, especially with some people, and tell them to stop asking so many questions.

Depends on the person. I usually go by intuition. I'm more trusting than some people, but less trusting than others.

UGH I don't open up and feel comfortable around people easily even if I like them. Especially if I like them I'm more afraid of messing up.

I'm sorry, I don't want to answer the rest of your questions, because I don't think I can answer them systematically. All of those things are too situation-specific for me to give a generalized answer, if that tells you anything.

Serenes

MBTI Type
INFP

Well, usually I am being friendly to people. I will not always say what I really think when it is people which I don't trust really yet. With people who I trust more, I will be a bit more open in that regard, but I don't say everything I think, because apparently there is things you just don't say to people... like talking about own problems. Or you will not see them again the next time.

Friends are not there to help you, from my life experience. When you are in trouble, you have no one to rely on besides your family. Every time I have to realize that again, I notice how I have more and more trouble calling people actually my friends, because in my own little idealist world friends should be there to help each other even in bad times. I try to live up to that ideal myself, but people don't consult me usually with their problems for some reason. But maybe because I seemed to have friends which seem to be not that open about their problems either always.

I also hold back a lot because of being afraid of scaring friends off with my problems & emo-ness lol. So I always try to act happy and pretend I'm fine even if I may not be. I feel bad if I destroy the mood because of sharing my problems and it may make them worry about me or think badly of me. When I catch myself getting moody sometimes, I rebound back right away to my cheery self because I don't want my friends having a crappy time with me. It can be kind of a bind because.... if I never share about my problems, they might not ever feel comfy sharing theirs with me and our friendship just stays on the superficial level. But when friends share problems, I am happy to help and sympathize with them. So I end up being there for others, but when I have troubles I usually find myself alone...

Did you specifically ask them for help? I notice that one of my friend doesn't seem bothered at all to constantly ask for help, and that's why I end up helping. Then I wonder to myself, how come I never really had friends that helped me like that?? But that's probably because I don't ask for help that often like he does so no one really knows what's going on with me to help even if they wanted to.

My expectations for being somewhat-friends (that is, we may talk together and do something sometimes) are not very high anymore because of negative experiences that no one could live up to that even nearly. For being called a true friend, I am rather demanding, and actually I wouldn't call anyone a real friend in my life so far when looking back at the past (although in that time I would have thought differently before); basically those things which I mentioned in the questions above already are my expectations for being a real friend. I can really forgive people if they don't constantly live up to that standards, hell, even if they don't fullfill some of those things at all, but I can not call someone a real friend if it gets too much. And it became with every friend too much so far, at least because they seem to take me for granted and let me drop if I am not useful anymore (because they have someone who they consider more fun to be with right now, or because I am having my issues and not all-happy without really being whiny) it seems.

I can relate.. I think that's why my expectations of friends are very low now. I don't really expect them to do anything for me. If they do nice things for me and be there for me when I need it, that'll make me happy and I'll appreciate them more. But if they don't, then that's fine, they have their own life and problems to deal with. But I'll do what I can because I enjoy making them happy and just being a friend. Maybe one day, we will move on and stop keeping in touch or make new friends, but I want the time we spend right now to be good & fun. The only time I may get fed up with friends if they were negatively affecting me somehow, like being selfish at my expense, hogging all my time (need time for myself too!) That's how I approach friendship in general... as for a 'close/real' friend, I don't think I have any at the moment.

I'm sorry, I don't want to answer the rest of your questions, because I don't think I can answer them systematically. All of those things are too situation-specific for me to give a generalized answer, if that tells you anything.

It's okay! You can answer any question in w/e way you want, and yeah there are a lot of questions so I'm not forcing anyone to answer All lol.

Thanks for the responses, I could relate to most of what was said. :)

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Did you specifically ask them for help? I notice that one of my friend doesn't seem bothered at all to constantly ask for help, and that's why I end up helping. Then I wonder to myself, how come I never really had friends that helped me like that?? But that's probably because I don't ask for help that often like he does so no one really knows what's going on with me to help even if they wanted to.

Actually I did not. I guess I would have inhibitions to ask someone for such kind of help anyway, but with the friends I had I know they wouldn't be of help anyway.

I can relate to the "no one really knows what's going on with me" most of the time. Rarely I spoke about current issues, but obviously no one would have come to the idea to even offer help.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I like marm's answer -

If I really want to know someone better I will stalk them. However, in day to day life I find that I most often make friends by other people intiating and getting into my life, and I either accept or decline. There are a few people though, that if I take significant enough interest, I will pursue them.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who stalks once in a while :laugh:

I don't give compliments that I don't mean, but I think there's something nice that can be said to everyone.

Depends on who they are and why I'm annoyed. If it's my fault (sick, tired, etc) I'll suck it up and/or explain and apologize. If I think they're being an asshole, I'll tell them.

Yeah, I share personal thoughts all the time. I don't usually feel threatened by personal questions. I feel like the other person is genuinely interested in me.

I trust superficially very quickly but deep trust takes a very long time. For my deep trust - show consistency, understanding, and caring.

A few minutes, given the right person. I generally gravitate towards intellectually-oriented people and outgoing (not necessarily socially) people.

Good sense of humor, compassion, stability, willingness to do crazy things with me.

Genocide? I dunno, I'm pretty tolerant. Though close friendships I'm very picky about.

Good time – bouncy, enthusiastic, bubbly, encouraging, attentive. Bad time – quiet and pouty.

Yeah. I disagree with a good friend of mine strongly on religion. It's occasionally a source of tension but has not been the biggest source of conflict. It probably is what stops us from being very close, though.

Not really. I do it because I want to. I don't feel beholden to anyone. I usually end up putting in as much as, if not more than, the other person, though.

I hope that they'll be willing to do as much as I'm willing to if push comes to shove. If they're not, we won't become close.

Usually because I'm stuck in similar circumstances with someone. I'm good friends with my best friend from high school because we had 7 classes together. We were probably best friends from the first month on. I'm friends with my current best friend because we lived near one another in college. I actually disliked her at first! I think it took us 2 years before we could really be called best friends.

That all said, I'm still very good friends with my college friend. My high school friend doesn't really talk to me despite me initiating conversations fairly often. She has not initiated anything with me in about a year. She bailed out of getting together with me recently and I admitted to her that I wasn't sure she really wanted to see me. She said she felt the same thing about me! I still want to be friends with her, but I'm very annoyed about that. Apparently her fulltime job makes it far too difficult for her to say hi on facebook every couple of months.

Close and consistent contact, and warmth.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I want to befriend people, but feel awkward about it. I'm admittedly very bad a initiating, but I respond positively to invites & say stuff like, "Let's hang out again soon" which is sincere from me, not just a line.

No, not at all. I verbalize compliments less than I think them actually. I admit I can be creative about keeping "feedback" positive if constructive criticism is not appropriate (ie. ugly babies - "precious!").

I might & I have...it just depends on the level of annoyance & if it is a real problem or one that would be solved by spending less time together or exercising more patience. I would avoid someone who kept trying to talk to me & would cut it short when they cornered me, & be a bit cool in demeanor. Generally, people catch the hint.

No, IRL, I don't share often because I avoid talking about myself; but I would not be annoyed or threatened if someone asked me personal questions. If they were too personal, then I'd let the person know. If I felt interrogated, then I might try and steer the conversation to focus on the other person a bit. In person, I can be a bit guarded and vague...

No. I don't necessarily mistrust them either. Generally, people get a generous level of the benefit of the doubt, and then it takes a lot of time & willingness on their part to be vulnerable themselves & to listen sincerely if I do attempt to express something vulnerable about myself. Then I may let my guard down a bit. Sort of test the water...

It really depends on how often I see the person & the nature of our contact (is it personal at all or in a group all the time?). Usually a year of semi-regular, personal contact is minimum though. I gravitate towards people who seem interesting, smart, warm, kind, and open to others themselves. People willing to dig beneath the surface a bit, explore new ideas & "things". People who are not too easily offended, but who are still principled.

I enjoy different things about different friends. My female friendships tend to be based on emotional connections, as well as humor and fun activities. Conversation is more personal than talking about interests. My male friendships tend to be based on common interests and more exploratory conversation, although it can be personal at times too. Right now, most of my friendships are more casual/shallow than I prefer.

I've gotten tired of friends who are emotional leeches, only talk about themselves, only call you when they're down to vent & get advice, show no interest in your life, etc. Also friends who aren't really friends, but insult you to others or even backhandedly to your face. Friends who forget about you until they need an extra body at their party (making you the "last resort" or "after thought"). Friends who are drama-magnets.... That's all I can think of atm.

If I'm having fun, then I may smile/laugh more than usual, and I may stay longer than usual (that can be an energy thing though). If I am having a bad time, then I am probably trying to shrink into a corner to not be noticed, escape asap, or retreat into my head until I can escape. I basically become extra withdrawn. However, not having a good time is not to be confused with a bad time; it can be sheer moodiness/lack of energy. Sometimes I am just conserving energy and will seem neutral & reserved due to that.

No; I'd probably know their view to begin with. It's rare that I am surprised by someone's belief when I've been associating with them. I'd probably avoid the topic though.

No. If I do anything it is because I want to. The closest thing that may come to an obligated feeling is giving gas money or paying parking if we go out & I don't drive. However, I want to do this because I think it is considerate.

I expect loyalty, effort to maintain some contact & respond to my attempts, & general kind treatment & mutual interest in one another. If they don't fulfill these, then we usually grow apart. I'm not usually one to axe a relationship directly.

Friends usually choose me. I've met many through my family's friends & mutual friends. In college, I met some people I was friends with for a bit (grew apart from many since). I've made some online (at least, I'd consider them friends). My best friend was a neighbor when I was a kid; our families were close, his mom babysat me, & we're around the same age. We started to acknowledge each other as best friends in our teens, when we realized we'd maintained a very strong bond despite living in different states.

Confiding in me and showing interest in my thoughts/feelings & verbal acknowledgment that we are close. As for doing: any kind of generosity in a time of need, or going out of their way for you, having your back, and general effort to spend time together/keep in touch.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

It depends if I want to befriend someone. I guess if we met a really great level of communication/connection then I'd definitely would try to contact them. Or suggest a general time to hang out.

I guess for the most part. Not in a bad way like omg that's a beautiful hat and really I think it's miserable kind of thing. More like it's there life, I can't cross certain lines if you will. They like what they like, I just accept people.

If someone was annoying me I'd say it would depend on how much I see them and how much they really are annoying me if it's worth saying something.

Same for company. Are we hanging out in groups? if so I can take breaks from them by talking to someone else. Individually I'll try to make plans with other people or events heh. But if it bothers me enough and I really felt like I couldn't be around someone individually I'd slowly start breaking away. Maybe not from group events but personal. It takes alot though to get me to not like "company".

Depends. I usually only share personal stuff with close friends/family. I don't like opening up to people that I only know on a surface level. My ESFJ mother is always telling me "why not share that part of yourself with others? It may actually help others but also yourself. Share the load."

The friends I've already established trust with I will trust easy. But not the people who haven't proved to me that I can trust them. I guess my friends gained my trust by at least accepting that it's my life and I make decisions regarding career/happiness that will work for me, not them. If they want to judge then I won't go to them when I need support. I need a friend that can be a friend. If they can't be supportive or understanding atleast of my dreams or ideas/values then they are not even a friend I guess. I mean who who wants a friend who critiques something very dear to you everytime you bring it up to them or around them? They don't have to agree but they can atleast respect my personal life and decisions. I'd do the same.

Depends. I'm pretty friendly but that's only to judge what kind of person they seem to be after getting to know them after a few meetings. Usually pretty quick as long as they don't violate a personal part of me or judge my life decisions/not truly supporting me.

I tend to gravitate towards the more quiet individualist people lol. The more contemplative, independent minded sort where we can just accept each other as we are. Even if there are differences.

I'd say for my ISTJ best friend. The solidness really. I know her, she knows me we just accept each other as we are. It took forever for me to get into her "circle" but I knew she was a honest and good person (I could "feel" it :p) so I just waited till she could see how trustworthy I was. For my ESFJ best friend I love that we can be silly and that she really values her friends. Taking out time for each individual friend because she knows it matters I suppose.

Qualities being open-minded, supportive, light hearted, able to take a joke XD. In all seriousness though someone who respects my individual space and the space that is there own. All my friends respect that "space". They are a good bunch. I let them in but they don't think they can judge my life and tell me how to live it. They just support me and I just support them.

heh... some i guess spilled into the previous question :blush:. Sorry. Simply put a deal breaker for me if people want to be my friend they have to prove to me via support and not opininated judgement. If I open up to someone about a goal or Idea I have I don't want to hear other negative suggestions or any harsh criticism. Maybe a gentle suggestion but they need to let it go after that. If I want to do it I will, if not I won't. My choice. They need to respect that space for me that allows to me make a choice that works for me.

I don't appreciate bossy/controlling/demanding/judgemental people in general. My life, just trying to figure it all out. Oh a biggie is manipulation, do not manipulate me.

When I'm having a good time I'd say smiling, happy, joking around. Bad time... probably smiling but not with the normal spark? Maybe alittle downcast expression or not really talking much.

I don't really mind if someone has a different viewpoint. It's when they think that they can cram their viewpoint down someone's throat that I see them differently. Like I can respect you don't like abortion, neither do I but who am I or this person to pretty much lecture them that they won't be there friend anymore if they do get one. That's there choice, not mine to make. Whatever they make I may let them know how big of a deal this is and if they do they may end up regretting it. Think first kind of thing. But after that, it's up to them.

Sometimes I feel I do. Sadly I do it sometimes because it's just easier then being manipulated by a certain persons tactics. But I prefer to do them from love :). I do things because I want to most the time because I do love my family.

All I ask I guess is that they respect my way of living and I will respect there's. I respect there's anyway but if they don't enough times trust is lost sort of . Sometimes I need alittle emotional support and sometimes it's nice to know that they aren't going to just ignore me when they don't "need" me. One of my expectations is really try to hang out with me once in awhile. Doesn't have to be every weekend but at least once a month or every other even if it's just for an hour without your significant other. It shows they still value "our" friendship and "our" time together just us to be girleh XD.

The usual chit chat first over something that interests us both I suppose.
Met my 2 best friend(s) in elementary/middle school. Developed over time via proving we could trust each other. Quite a few years before I could label them officially "best" friend. Some criteria had to intuitively be met I suppose.

I guess showing they appreciate our friendship enough to make time for just us/without their significant other even if it's every month or so. It shows they place a value on "our" friendship enough to set time aside still. :) I know I would still do that for my friends even if I had a S.O. Disclosing our personal worlds, having a solid and established trust of experiences where it has been tested and passed. I know I got there loyalty, they got my back and I got there's. Still having that space that says "this is our area" even when they have a S.O. Like we still have trust and a bond that is seperate of the S.O even though he's included most of the time, it's there. Support's a biggy. But I've already went through that.

:)

swift sylvan

MBTI Type
NiTi

I think it depends on the situation, it's probably about 50/50, but if I really want to hang out with someone I ask them....although ideally if I really want to hang out with someone hopefully they really want to hang out with me and might ask me

I compliment people a lot, but they're usually genuine. It depends on the person too and what I think they can handle. That being said, if I am direct it is almost always softened or expressed in a way that isn't offensive.

I think I always try to see things from that person's point of view and if nothing else try to gain empathy for them, otherwise my actions, tone, etc...usually get the point across.

I wouldn't feel threatened or annoyed, I am very open about most things, but sort of have layers of trust. I only have a few friends that I would dare share my deepest thoughts of insight and understandings of humans I get, but most factual things that happened to me even if deep I don't really care if I share. If nothing else it helps the other person understand my context of who I am.

I trust my friends to certain extents. I might trust everyone with what they say, but rarely trust anyone for some of my thoughts as mentioned above. Only a few friends do I ever let myself be really silly around.

I gravitate towards people with the desire to help others. Empathy and actions of caring for others is huge. Also people who like quotes, especially quotes from people like Gandhi.

My friends that I love the most are always learning and seeking to understand more. My friends also all care for others and try to challenge themselves.

I dislike people who always talk about themselves, also people who complain all the time concern me.

The deal breaker is how people treat others. People who act in ways that are selfish without any foresight of the emotional harm they cause in others can be extraordinarily hard for me.

A good time I get more energized and involved, a bad time I get harsher and drained. My bad times I think I mask pretty well.

It depends, quite possibly, but I would try to not have my opinion change. I have the opinion that I could be wrong about anything or everything, but that being said.

I only ever obligate myself to my friends because I love them and want to.

Sometimes I do, but it's rare for me to vocalize those expectations and sometimes I get hurt.

I usually make friends just by meeting people, i like just about everyone. My best friend became my best friend after sharing the same room for a year. He is also the person I am most likely to share any and every thought I have with.

Kind words or acts of service, when they show how much they love me.

When they really consider and value what I consider important and value: I once wrote 75 goodbye letters to my friends where I told them why I thought they were awesome and for the closest ones ways for them to improve as individuals and grow in their potential. One of my friends considered what I was doing and did the same for me and 40 of his other friends. I still have his letter in my wallet and it means a lot to me.

Serenes

MBTI Type
INFP
Actually I did not. I guess I would have inhibitions to ask someone for such kind of help anyway, but with the friends I had I know they wouldn't be of help anyway.

I can relate to the "no one really knows what's going on with me" most of the time. Rarely I spoke about current issues, but obviously no one would have come to the idea to even offer help.

I think that's kinda the problem we have though.. we always assume that others can't help us or don't want to so we are afraid to even ask. We always expect others to be able to read our minds when maybe they really are just oblivious. They can't really offer help if they don't know that you are having trouble. I wouldn't really ask people randomly if they needed help when I don't even know what they would need help with lol :huh:

Maybe we should really try asking for help more ;p and if then no one helps, then at least we will know for sure.

Try and see what happens! :) You may be surprised.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I think that's kinda the problem we have though.. we always assume that others can't help us or don't want to so we are afraid to even ask. We always expect others to be able to read our minds when maybe they really are just oblivious. They can't really offer help if they don't know that you are having trouble. I wouldn't really ask people randomly if they needed help when I don't even know what they would need help with lol :huh:

Maybe we should really try asking for help more ;p and if then no one helps, then at least we will know for sure.

Try and see what happens! :) You may be surprised.

Yes, I have thought about that too... it is not so easy obviously :) And well... maybe there would have been people where I felt they would be more of a help, but you know, I was not that close to them already. We get along well when talking, but we were not real friends already or so. Sadly I met those people late, and I don't know... it is awkward to talk with someone you don't feel that comfortable enough yet to speak about everything about very personal issues. But you are right... I guess one has to make the step to ask for help first :)

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sometimes. Very occasionally I feel a magnetic interest in a person; this is a rare and wonderful thing and it can make me make an effort. It totally depends on how conducive the social environment is to all this. If I feel uncertainty about the situation I will leave it to them.

I am very much disinclined to saying pleasant things out of politeness. I'm not a good liar and resent feeling forced to; in such cases I usually resort to vague positive statements to spare people's feelings. I'm also not an overly complimentary person because I only do so when I feel compelled by the strength of feeling. I don't want to bolster someone's vanity undeservingly - I want my compliments to mean something.

I have experienced this many times. I'm more forbearing than most people; I don't say anything to them and simply try my best to put up with it. However people irritate me very easily and I can struggle to disguise my annoyance. I once had to room with a girl that I found infuriatingly foolish and stupid. Despite my best efforts to hide this, she noticed my terse behaviour towards her and told a friend of mine, "I think SK doesn't like me". When I heard this I felt terrible and made an extra effort to be nicer.

Yes and no. I very open with superficial, surface emotions and don't mind others asking about that; this gives me the appearance of being quite emotionally open. When people prod me to divulge underlying feelings I clamp up and try to change the subject. I can sometimes talk about it if it comes up within the natural flow of the conversation but if I think someone is trying to work me out for whatever reason I go into shut down mode.

Trust is such a complicated word. I think of it as an umbrella term for a lot of different ideas. I give people the benefit of the doubt easily and assume they are decent and mean well. But this trust doesn't afford an obvious benefits other than fair treatment. The sort of trust that makes me feel extremely safe around them, enough to open me up, is different. I hardly ever trust people in this way because it takes a lot to achieve this. It takes time; you have to prove to be a supportive, non-judgmental, understanding person. I have never been 100% open with anyone.

It depends on the person. I met an ENFP once and after spending a lot of time with her felt like I could tell her things after knowing her less than a month. She was just so easy-going, open-minded, patient, sensitive to others, a good listener and understood emotional complexity so well. ENFPs seem to particularly have this effect on me and I imagine INFPs would if I met more.

The sorts of things I mentioned above. I like people than relax my guard and I can have fun being my own silly self with as well as have serious and deep conversations with.

I don't like being around people that are always negative and dumping their personal problems on me; it becomes so draining after a while and I begin to resent it. I dislike friends that make no effort to spend time with you and I have to always be the one to chase them down. I have a problem with friends that engage in behaviour I deem rather cruel or immoral. And a deal breaker is using my secrets or personal issues as gossip or entertainment. Those are the main things I guess.

Good time: bubbly, talkative, laughing, joking and making more eye contact
Bad time: quiet, withdrawn, distracted, fidgety, more interested in the environment around me than the people

Maybe if it was something really central to me but usually I don't form close friendships with anyone that clashes too much with my view of the world. Mostly I don't have a problem as long are they are accepting of my view. I need for us to be able to discuss the matter reasonably without tension or conflict.

Beyond basic respect and decency, I guess I feel an obligation to take an interest in things that really matter to them; ask them about it, listen to them and value their passion for it even if its dead boring to me. Often I don't want to do so and simply indulge them but I have discovered that it opens up my horizons and I can end up taking interest in it anyway.

I expect them to be respectful and considerate toward me otherwise what is the point of being friends. If there is trouble between us or if they behave badly I will distance myself from them.

Usually through common interests. Most of my friends I met at university or while travelling. My best friend I met doing post-grad film studies. She's an American and has gone back to NYC :( But she has married a NZer so I expect visits will be made. I don't know I have ever openly acknowledged her to be my best friend but I don't have many close friends and she seems the best candidate. It took years for us to get properly close and it took a project that required us to spend a lot of time with one another.

Wanting to spend a lot of time with me; talking openly with me and telling me things they don't normally share with others; going out of their way to help me out with something they know matters to me.