Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default Let's talk about Fi

now that we've all seen post of whether Fi users are comfortable talking about Fi, let's actually talk about it =)

first I'd like to clear up what I feel to be a number of misconceptions about Fi

1) selfish: Fi users are not selfish, we just have a tendency to solve our own problems first before helping others. The analogy I use most of the time is like planting your seeds before you give away your harvest
    2) lazy: many FP types are hard workers, but we would rather work at a slower pace than more intense types like ENTJs and such.
    3) irrational: most FPs I know can be rational if they need to. people mistake Fi for making decisions based one's emotions, but it isn't that at all. the difference is, FPs don't feel the need to empirically prove things the way TPs and TJs do. I can't really speak for SFPs, but I know for NFPs, Fi is content to say "I get it, now let's do it" or "I don't get it, let's wait a little while and get a good understanding first"
    Likes Aurora James liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    now that we've all seen post of whether Fi users are comfortable talking about Fi, let's actually talk about it =)

first I'd like to clear up what I feel to be a number of misconceptions about Fi

1) selfish: Fi users are not selfish, we just have a tendency to solve our own problems first before helping others. The analogy I use most of the time is like planting your seeds before you give away your harvest
    2) lazy: many FP types are hard workers, but we would rather work at a slower pace than more intense types like ENTJs and such.
    3) irrational: most FPs I know can be rational if they need to. people mistake Fi for making decisions based one's emotions, but it isn't that at all. the difference is, FPs don't feel the need to empirically prove things the way TPs and TJs do. I can't really speak for SFPs, but I know for NFPs, Fi is content to say "I get it, now let's do it" or "I don't get it, let's wait a little while and get a good understanding first"
    Yeah, I agree with your topics.
    And now I want to add: 4) Being a Fi user doesn't mean you're a crying baby or something.
    Last edited by SilentNight; 11-27-2010 at 07:26 AM.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by SilentNight View Post
    Yeah, I agree with your topics.
    And now I want to add: 4) Being a Fi user doesn't mean you're a crying baby or something.
    Seriously, people think we're like these whiny little weaklings who constantly feels sorry for ourselves, which leads me to the next misconception
    5) weak: IFPs are not usually externally strong, healthy IFPs are strong internally and courageous and don't feel sorry for themselves

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    5) weak: IFPs are not usually externally strong, healthy IFPs are strong internally and courageous and don't feel sorry for themselves
    I'm strong! I might not look it but I'm scrappy and tenacious when I need to be.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Why are they not externally strong? You mean with Te judgements? Then I'd agree (although EFPs could get mistaken for Te doms). There's probably some physically strong ones though. Like John Coffee in the Green Mile. Also, Biaxident and Wolfy

I don't consider myself weak. Neither externally nor internally.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Why are they not externally strong? You mean with Te judgements? Then I'd agree (although EFPs could get mistaken for Te doms). There's probably some physically strong ones though. Like John Coffee in the Green Mile. Also, Biaxident and Wolfy
    I'm 6ft, and 12st 7 lbs (175lbs; 79kg). I can handle myself if need be. I just tend to deplore violence, that's all...

Fi is about internalising things to process them. That doesn't spell out "weakness"; it would be a mistake to think that. When I'm pushed, the things upon which I have been ruminating, using my Fi function, explode; they are unleashed. A bit like this:

That girls are raped, that two boys knife a third,
    Were axioms to him, who'd never heard
    Of any world where promises were kept,
    Or one could weep because another wept.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

some things I would say Fi is:
    1) creative, in fact, INFPs are so creative that much of the time it is actually a detriment because it's so hard to focus on anything that isn't creative (aka, anything dealing with administrative tasks or manual labor)
    2) imaginative, again, this is so prominent in INFPs that it can actually pose a problem when they can't focus on reality (which is most of the time), however, FPs that learn to communicate introverted feeling to other people can inspire awe in millions
    3) values: FPs will not be happy with themselves unless they live their lives according to their values and beliefs

Quote Originally Posted by Adasta View Post
    Fi is about internalising things to process them. That doesn't spell out "weakness"; it would be a mistake to think that. When I'm pushed, the things upon which I have been ruminating, using my Fi function, explode; they are unleashed. A bit like this:

I completely agree with you.

That's exactly what I do, LOL.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

most people I know mistake me for an extravert (in fact, most of the people in high school I knew who knew about MBTI thought I was ENTJ!) but those who really get to know me know that I am actually a very calm, relaxed and affectionate person, even if I am extremely strong and passionate on the outside.