User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 50

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    because being an expert doesn't make you right.

    this is one of those posts - and no offense, arclight, you know i like you and i appreciate your ideas - but this is a post that makes me Feel like it's a problem to discuss Fi anywhere. the feeling is "why can't we just talk about Fi in this thread without someone coming in and telling us we're wrong and should stop?" right now it seems like what you're implying is pretty much "just stop talking because i don't like your ideas (because they don't agree with an authority [who i have personally decided is correct])."

    the way i see things, if you have a problem with what elfboy's saying (i do too, actually), then you should show why his ideas are creating a problem. right now it just seems like you're saying "listen to the experts and don't trust yourself." but that kind of defeats the purpose of psychology, doesn't it?

    as for talking about Fi... it's rather confusing; even the best definitions are kind of fuzzy. it's like Ni - you know what it is, and you know when you know something in a Ni way, but how to describe its functioning? it's interesting to talk about because it's somewhat mysterious even to those who use it all the time. i think we want to define and redefine it - really, i think the goal is just to discuss it - because it is so elusive, just like Ni, the other non-linear introverted function.




    - perhaps less creative and more associative. there is so much association that it can become very difficult to compartmentalize and wall off one feeling tone from the next.

    -perhaps less imaginative and more idealistic. Fi users don't attend to reality because they seek something better than reality. when an FP learns to communicate Fi to others, it can be inspiring, because it draws the other people to see a hope of something better as well.

    i'm still not sure if this is totally removed from Ne. but maybe a little closer.
    You do not have to qualify that you like me before you disagree with me, Sky..

    being an expert certainly qualifies you as an expert. Although I agree that being an expert doesn't always mean you are correct.. to downplay it is even more dangerous than to blindly accept it.
    If education is to have any value at all, than we have to assume and trust that the people who have dedicated their lives to studying something are indeed correct up to this point in what they are talking about.

    In regard to typology. Well this is a system that has existed for over half a century and countless hours of research and case study have gone into devising the system. In other words it is not a system based on opinion but rather hardcore data that has to be attributed to a system in order for it to be understood on a universal level.

    Fi is what it is..
    The problem people are having is not that Fi users wishing to discuss their Fi.. The problem Others and myself are having is the redefinition of an established system by people who do not have the authority or credentials to so.
    To me it seems that here are people who wish to learn about a subject , but only on their terms.
    Which is not really very responsible.

    All these .."let's redefine and change Fi" therads are doing is proving the descriptions of Fi as correct.
    You are taking a very subjective and personal approach to something that has already been proven and saying it is wrong because it hurts your feelings..
    Saying "but wait a minute, I have Fe qualities as well.." does not mean Fi is poorly described. It means you use Fe.

    Simple short version:

    Fi is so subjective that it can't even get past it's own subjectivity about itself.

  2. #22
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    You do not have to qualify that you like me before you disagree with me, Sky..

    being an expert certainly qualifies you as an expert. Although I agree that being an expert doesn't always mean you are correct.. to downplay it is even more dangerous than to blindly accept it.
    If education is to have any value at all, than we have to assume and trust that the people who have dedicated their lives to studying something are indeed correct up to this point in what they are talking about.

    In regard to typology. Well this is a system that has existed for over half a century and countless hours of research and case study have gone into devising the system. In other words it is not a system based on opinion but rather hardcore data that has to be attributed to a system in order for it to be understood on a universal level.

    Fi is what it is..
    The problem people are having is not that Fi users wishing to discuss their Fi.. The problem Others and myself are having is the redefinition of an established system by people who do not have the authority or credentials to so.
    To me it seems that here are people who wish to learn about a subject , but only on their terms.
    Which is not really very responsible.

    All these .."let's redefine and change Fi" therads are doing is proving the descriptions of Fi as correct.
    You are taking a very subjective and personal approach to something that has already been proven and saying it is wrong because it hurts your feelings..
    Saying "but wait a minute, I have Fe qualities as well.." does not mean Fi is poorly described. It means you use Fe.

    Simple short version:

    Fi is so subjective that it can't even get past it's own subjectivity about itself.
    1) yes, we are fully aware that we are agreeing with the standard MBTI definition of Fi. but as I said, the priority is to understand and share experiences of Fi, not to define it.
    2) yes, there are disagreements, but those same disagreements are being debated even among certified experts of the MBTI. after only 50 years of studying MBTI (when you take into account that most of these studies take years or even decades to conduct, that's not a very long time. the subject of cognitive functions and temperament is still a very young science and we have only reached the tip of the iceberg in MBTI research. we have not reached a point to which data is sufficient of accurate to suffice as unquestionable or clear cut, especially with a function such as Fi that is so subjective and close to the unconscious. the date we have currently can account for general trends and characteristics at best, but we still have a LOONG way to go. thankyou for your reply, but I don't feel as though you understand the purpose of this thread =)

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    1) yes, we are fully aware that we are agreeing with the standard MBTI definition of Fi. but as I said, the priority is to understand and share experiences of Fi, not to define it.
    2) yes, there are disagreements, but those same disagreements are being debated even among certified experts of the MBTI. after only 50 years of studying MBTI (when you take into account that most of these studies take years or even decades to conduct, that's not a very long time. the subject of cognitive functions and temperament is still a very young science and we have only reached the tip of the iceberg in MBTI research. we have not reached a point to which data is sufficient of accurate to suffice as unquestionable or clear cut, especially with a function such as Fi that is so subjective and close to the unconscious. the date we have currently can account for general trends and characteristics at best, but we still have a LOONG way to go. thankyou for your reply, but I don't feel as though you understand the purpose of this thread =)

    Oh I see.. You are going to take the system that I am using to explain something and use this same system to counter my point and then use it to substantiate yours by discrediting the science behind the system you are trying to prove your point with? Which is it please?

    I can assure that your feelings on the matter of me understanding the "purpose" of this thread are wrong.
    I know exactly what is going on.. after all .. I use Fi too.

    the priority is to understand and share experiences of Fi, not to define it
    By taking the attributes of other functions and applying them to Fi because you prefer to have those attributes associated with Fi??

  4. #24
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Oh I see.. You are going to take the system that I am using to explain something and use this same system to counter my point and then use it to substantiate yours by discrediting the science behind the system you are trying to prove your point with? Which is it please?

    I can assure that your feelings on the matter of me understanding the "purpose" of this thread are wrong.
    I know exactly what is going on.. after all .. I use Fi too.



    By taking the attributes of other functions and applying them to Fi because you prefer to have those attributes associated with Fi??
    I'm not discrediting the system, I'm just saying what the system is and where it is at in it's development. I can't say for certain, but I believe that most practitioners of the MBTI would agree with me that study of the MBTI is just beginning and that 50 years makes it only a very young science. that's part of the reason some people (self NOT included) refer to it as a pseudo science. they misconceive it as such because there is a low amount of accurate data that has been measured and collected thus far (as mentioned in my previous post, many experiments, especially those dealing with the development of personality throughout the lifetime of a person, take years or even decades). to be honest tho, I'm really having a hard time understanding what exactly what result you are wanting with this post or what actions you want taken.
    PS: if you have evidence to the contrary, please let me know. I appreciate your willingness to bring up counterpoints and data =)

  5. #25

    Default

    Quinlan had a good description of Fi the other day. Something I could really relate to. You guys should ask him about it.

  6. #26
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Fi is cuter than Ti. That's all I know.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I'm not discrediting the system, I'm just saying what the system is and where it is at in it's development. I can't say for certain, but I believe that most practitioners of the MBTI would agree with me that study of the MBTI is just beginning and that 50 years makes it only a very young science. that's part of the reason some people (self NOT included) refer to it as a pseudo science. they misconceive it as such because there is a low amount of accurate data that has been measured and collected thus far (as mentioned in my previous post, many experiments, especially those dealing with the development of personality throughout the lifetime of a person, take years or even decades). to be honest tho, I'm really having a hard time understanding what exactly what result you are wanting with this post or what actions you want taken.
    PS: if you have evidence to the contrary, please let me know. I appreciate your willingness to bring up counterpoints and data =)
    I do not believe for one second that you are so stupid that you are not getting my point.
    I am done explaining it.. I have expressed it in every post in this thread and you continue to ignore it and touch on everything else accept my point.
    You cannot take extroverted feelings and call them introverted because they look nicer.. That defeats the whole purpose of the system.
    I do not need to make this point anymore.

    I will leave you with this.
    It is not considered a pseudo science because of lack of data.. to the contrary, there is ample case studies and data on the subject to form a consensus.
    Its been studied for 3 generations. Much longer than global warming for example..
    MBTI is not considered science because Psychology as a whole is not considered science.. despite it having all the criteria to make it science.
    MBTI is not new.. It is simply becoming more mainstream.

  8. #28
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I'm not discrediting the system, I'm just saying what the system is and where it is at in it's development. I can't say for certain, but I believe that most practitioners of the MBTI would agree with me that study of the MBTI is just beginning and that 50 years makes it only a very young science. that's part of the reason some people (self NOT included) refer to it as a pseudo science. they misconceive it as such because there is a low amount of accurate data that has been measured and collected thus far (as mentioned in my previous post, many experiments, especially those dealing with the development of personality throughout the lifetime of a person, take years or even decades). to be honest tho, I'm really having a hard time understanding what exactly what result you are wanting with this post or what actions you want taken.
    PS: if you have evidence to the contrary, please let me know. I appreciate your willingness to bring up counterpoints and data =)
    If you think it's pseudo-science then do the reasonable thing and go by Keirsey/the four dichotomies instead. I've said this before, I'll say it again: maybe this definitions aren't working for people or get confusing because function theory isn't real and can't possibly be proven.

    On the other hand, I found the original descriptions of Fi quite fitting to my intellectual conception of it, and it even includes the Jungian definitions Jaguar added later on in the thread about Fi being "colder' and more dismissive to strangers. I think that's true.

    I rarely say this, but I think Arclight has been making the most sense aside from Jaguar in these threads, since he's pointing out that we use all 8 functions, and it's highly likely that if you have a very strong Feeler preference you're using Fi and Fe in tandem, only slightly prefering one over the other, and therefore attempting to attribute your Fe to Fi, and that's faulty.

  9. #29
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    If you think it's pseudo-science then do the reasonable thing and go by Keirsey/the four dichotomies instead. I've said this before, I'll say it again: maybe this definitions aren't working for people or get confusing because function theory isn't real and can't possibly be proven.

    On the other hand, I found the original descriptions of Fi quite fitting to my intellectual conception of it, and it even includes the Jungian definitions Jaguar added later on in the thread about Fi being "colder' and more dismissive to strangers. I think that's true.

    I rarely say this, but I think Arclight has been making the most sense aside from Jaguar in these threads, since he's pointing out that we use all 8 functions, and it's highly likely that if you have a very strong Feeler preference you're using Fi and Fe in tandem, only slightly prefering one over the other, and therefore attempting to attribute your Fe to Fi, and that's faulty.
    I believe I have stated that I do NOT believe MBTI to be a pseudo science, but anyway, if that's the only point you guys were trying to make then that's fine. anyway, does anyone else have any thoughts on Fi?

  10. #30
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Ok, if you guys disagree so vehemently with descriptions of Fi, how do you even know you're using Fi?

Similar Threads

  1. [Fi] Let's talk about Inferior Fi
    By Merced in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-15-2017, 03:58 PM
  2. Let's talk about Tertiary-Fi, if's that OK? ^_^
    By VagrantFarce in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 06:07 PM
  3. Let's Talk About Fantasy (The Narcotic)
    By Asterion in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-30-2009, 11:38 AM
  4. Let's talk about Fantasy (the genre)
    By JivinJeffJones in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-28-2009, 12:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO