User Tag List

First 3456 Last

I'm not sure what I am. I'm definitely not an intellectual, but I wouldn't o as far as saying anti-intellectual because I am "interested" in most of the things mentioned. =/
    Exactly what do you define as anti-intellectual?
    Introverted: 100%
    INtuition: 95%
    Feeling: 58%
    Perceiving: 89%

5w4 sp/sx

INFP.gc

MBTI
    INTJ

While there is such a thing as anti-intellectualism, I don't think that's what Heart had in mind.

I think she was referring to people who don't value education or even make fun of or are even hostile towards intelligence. My mother is extremely intelligent. We were taught that school is the most important thing in our lives. All learning changes us, and hopefully improves us. I was expected to get As in school and was punished when I didn't. I value a good education very highly, but I also value common sense which can't be learned in school.

[soapbox]
    That said, I can't stand the intelligencia up in their ivory towers making stupid changes to our educational system, all the while making our children the guinea pigs for their stupid ideas that don't work! They are the reason for the resurgence of Classical schools. I'm pretty sure that makes me an anti-intellectualist.[/soapbox]

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

in·tel·lec·tu·al /ˌɪntlˈɛktʃuəl/ [in-tl-ek-choo-uhl]
    –adjective
    1. appealing to or engaging the intellect: intellectual pursuits.
    2. of or pertaining to the intellect or its use: intellectual powers.
    3. possessing or showing intellect or mental capacity, esp. to a high degree: an intellectual person.
    4. guided or developed by or relying on the intellect rather than upon emotions or feelings; rational.
    5. characterized by or suggesting a predominance of intellect: an intellectual way of speaking.

---

This definition does not define!
    People do.
    Not really.

MBTI
    INFJ

This is a very interesting discussion. Just last week my ENFP friend told me she took the Clifton Strengthsfinder and came up with five leading characteristics, including engages in intellectual pursuits. She didn't recognize this part of herself, even though she recently went back to school for a graduate degree, reads constantly and discusses ideas at great length. I get more book suggestions (personality, sociology, education, etc.) from her than anyone else. She's very much into pop culture (Queen Latifah, Harry Potter), and doesn't read classical literature or listen to symphonies.
    But I don't consider her anti-intellectual.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Isn't (some of) today's pop culture tomorrow's classic?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP

Pop culture is marketed for maximum profit... tomorrow's classic, I hope, comes from passion and intellect, not suits with strategies.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Pop culture is marketed for maximum profit... tomorrow's classic, I hope, comes from passion and intellect, not suits with strategies.
    Hasn't the artist always had to find a patron so they don't starve while they express their passion and intellect, with very few exceptions?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ

I really never thought about it. I love learning. If I had unlimited amounts of money, I would take as many unnecessary courses as I could.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Hasn't the artist always had to find a patron so they don't starve while they express their passion and intellect, with very few exceptions?
    I suppose..

I do think Harry Potter is a classic, whether or not it is popular; however, I have a hard time swallowing the concept that what we take for granted today might be a classic tomorrow, we just don't know it yet.. I think classics stand out as being timeless and are easily discerned. But then again, the work of many artists and writers was only deemed classic far after the creator's life ended, so I don't think I have an answer to your question.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Ah! Does Jane Austen count??!! Cool!!
    Harold Bloom considers Persuasion to be a "perfect novel" because of the deep character development of Anne. He considers some of Austen's work as part of the so-called "Western Canon" of great literary works.

Bloom. Western Canon

Jane Austen
    Pride and Prejudice
    Emma
    Mansfield Park
    Persuasion