User Tag List

First 23456 Last

I think it is the exclusionary nature of some circles that cause people to dislike it.

Whether is is "cliquish" popularity, or "intellectual snobbery," I believe the source of ill-feeling is the belief of being excluded (or otherwise lacking the ability to take part).

So I think any type can be anti-intellectual.

IMO, most self-labeled "anti-intellectuals" are in-fact marginally "intellectual" themselves.

I'm switch between anti-intellectual and intellectual every alternate Tuesday

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've been thinking about it. The reason it bothers me for people to reject reason and other forms of validation of their beliefs is because they would be rejecting some of the core ideas upon which I found my understanding of reality. So in essence, they are rejecting my reality, and claiming that they can define reality in their own terms with no observable or interchangeable standard whatsoever.

Of course, this itself is only my desire to protect what I've accepted, because I don't wish to have my reality disrupted. They have this same desire in a different basis, thus as little as I feel I understand them we are actually similar.

The only difference is that my set of beliefs seems to adapt itself better to the nature of reality than those of anti-intellectuals and their ilk. But then again, why should the cognizable nature of reality be the basis of my beliefs, other than that being my personal preference? I guess it's really only my choice...

MBTI
    INTJ

Sorry, Heart, for the slight derail.
    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I've been thinking about it. The reason it bothers me for people to reject reason and other forms of validation of their beliefs is because they would be rejecting some of the core ideas upon which I found my understanding of reality. So in essence, they are rejecting my reality, and claiming that they can define reality in their own terms with no observable or interchangeable standard whatsoever.

Of course, this itself is only my desire to protect what I've accepted, because I don't wish to have my reality disrupted. They have this same desire in a different basis, thus as little as I feel I understand them we are actually similar.

The only difference is that my set of beliefs seems to adapt itself better to the nature of reality than those of anti-intellectuals and their ilk. But then again, why should the cognizable nature of reality be the basis of my beliefs, other than that being my personal preference? I guess it's really only my choice...
    And perhaps a person could come to the same conclusions concerning foundational Truths and Reality without ever having read that stuff?

I don't think it's fair to assume a person has "rejected reason" just because they've never read such and such an author.

If it's really truth, more than one person is going to have it, and there's going to be more than one way to get it. It should permeate life, if it's Truth.

That said, I think I know how you feel. I too have "core ideas upon which I found my understanding of reality" and whenever I come across people - usually online - whose worldview is opposed to mine, it is disheartening, and actually can cause me to despair. I don't wish to have my reality disrupted either, and that's why I built my reality on a foundation of timeless truth which will not change - but that too, is my opinion.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I like to think of myself as an anti-intellectual intellectual, though I am neither. I just like to pretend.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm not positive what an anti-intellectual is, but I think I used to be one.

MBTI
    yupp

I almost posted something in this thread but decided it might not fit, so It's in my blog http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post123952

if anyone's interested basically it's me having no clue about intellectualism or anti-intellectuallism
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I'm switch between anti-intellectual and intellectual every alternate Tuesday
    You, too? Mine is, however, every alternate Thursday!
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

I believe it's more likely for INFP's to be anti-intellectual, but that it would be rare for INFJ's (granted, I may be biased).

I'm pretty sure the tertiary Ti would lead INFJ's to that at some point, but the Si might keep INFP's steeped in tradition more..
    The Si factor is overriden by that of abstract introverted judgment.

For this reason.

Don't get me wrong, of course. I like INFP's because they have a greater insight into the emotion itself, because they don't need to envision and apply a pattern to see it, and they generally have a certain depth...
    Abstract introverted judgment runs deeper than plain introverted intuition because it allows for one to focus the Intuitions intensely inward.

Although I think most of both types get into higher subjects eventually, if their environments and experiences don't prejudice them against it.
    And Fi isn't as malleable, because once a (potentially bad) value gets stuck in there, it can't be changed by normal means (if at all)....
    Fi is an open-ended function. It does not cease to search for values, much like Ti does not cease to search for truth. Fe, on the other hand is more change averse as it is less flexible. This is the well known J/P paradigm.

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Tradition doesn't equal anti-intellectual, and intellectual doesn't equal academic. Not necessarily.)....
    Tradition is antitethetical to intellect in this manner: the intellect insists on questioning all in order to discover soundest ideas possible. Tradition insists on accepting the established ideas by default. The existence of intellectual traditions is anathema to the intellectual way of life such enterprises vouch for. Essentially though, it would not be possible to preserve any school of thoguht without a reliance on tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Also, with regard to Fe or Fi disinclining a person to 'go against their culture', it's been shown that intellectualism can be, and has been, harnessed to support, strengthen, justify and explain just about any culture from Nazism to Communism, from orthodoxy to anarchy. Which incidentally, might just be why some people are suspicious of it, regardless of their type.
    This is where the intellect is abused to subserve tradition. Had the intellect truly held primacy over practical affairs, it would be concerned with the acquisition of truth first and foremost. The rest would be of ancillary importance.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    This is where the intellect is abused to subserve tradition. Had the intellect truly held primacy over practical affairs, it would be concerned with the acquisition of truth first and foremost. The rest would be of ancillary importance.
    I apologize for the tangent but...
    I'm pretty sure the proponents of Nazism and Communism thought they were expounding the Truth. They were deceived, tragically.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I apologize for the tangent but...
    I'm pretty sure the proponents of Nazism and Communism thought they were expounding the Truth. They were deceived, tragically.
    They were not thinking about the scholarly discovery of truth but only about the practical applications of what they've been inculcated to believe for the truth to be.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/