• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] anti-intellectualism

EsoteriEccentri

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm not sure what I am. I'm definitely not an intellectual, but I wouldn't o as far as saying anti-intellectual because I am "interested" in most of the things mentioned. =/
Exactly what do you define as anti-intellectual?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
While there is such a thing as anti-intellectualism, I don't think that's what Heart had in mind.

I think she was referring to people who don't value education or even make fun of or are even hostile towards intelligence. My mother is extremely intelligent. We were taught that school is the most important thing in our lives. All learning changes us, and hopefully improves us. I was expected to get As in school and was punished when I didn't. I value a good education very highly, but I also value common sense which can't be learned in school.

[soapbox]:nono:
That said, I can't stand the intelligencia up in their ivory towers making stupid changes to our educational system, all the while making our children the guinea pigs for their stupid ideas that don't work! They are the reason for the resurgence of Classical schools. I'm pretty sure that makes me an anti-intellectualist.[/soapbox]

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
in·tel·lec·tu·al /ˌɪntlˈɛktʃuəl/ [in-tl-ek-choo-uhl]
–adjective
1. appealing to or engaging the intellect: intellectual pursuits.
2. of or pertaining to the intellect or its use: intellectual powers.
3. possessing or showing intellect or mental capacity, esp. to a high degree: an intellectual person.
4. guided or developed by or relying on the intellect rather than upon emotions or feelings; rational.
5. characterized by or suggesting a predominance of intellect: an intellectual way of speaking.

---

This definition does not define!
People do.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
This is a very interesting discussion. Just last week my ENFP friend told me she took the Clifton Strengthsfinder and came up with five leading characteristics, including engages in intellectual pursuits. She didn't recognize this part of herself, even though she recently went back to school for a graduate degree, reads constantly and discusses ideas at great length. I get more book suggestions (personality, sociology, education, etc.) from her than anyone else. She's very much into pop culture (Queen Latifah, Harry Potter), and doesn't read classical literature or listen to symphonies.
But I don't consider her anti-intellectual.

Jae Rae

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Isn't (some of) today's pop culture tomorrow's classic?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Pop culture is marketed for maximum profit... tomorrow's classic, I hope, comes from passion and intellect, not suits with strategies.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Pop culture is marketed for maximum profit... tomorrow's classic, I hope, comes from passion and intellect, not suits with strategies.
Hasn't the artist always had to find a patron so they don't starve while they express their passion and intellect, with very few exceptions?

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I really never thought about it. I love learning. If I had unlimited amounts of money, I would take as many unnecessary courses as I could. :)

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Hasn't the artist always had to find a patron so they don't starve while they express their passion and intellect, with very few exceptions?

I suppose..

I do think Harry Potter is a classic, whether or not it is popular; however, I have a hard time swallowing the concept that what we take for granted today might be a classic tomorrow, we just don't know it yet.. I think classics stand out as being timeless and are easily discerned. But then again, the work of many artists and writers was only deemed classic far after the creator's life ended, so I don't think I have an answer to your question.

heart

heart on fire
Ah! Does Jane Austen count??!! Cool!!

Harold Bloom considers Persuasion to be a "perfect novel" because of the deep character development of Anne. He considers some of Austen's work as part of the so-called "Western Canon" of great literary works.

Bloom. Western Canon

Jane Austen
Pride and Prejudice
Emma
Mansfield Park
Persuasion

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Harold Bloom considers Persuasion to be a "perfect novel" because of the deep character development of Anne. He considers some of Austen's work as part of the so-called "Western Canon" of great literary works.

Bloom. Western Canon
A handful of those authors are among my favorites. :heart:

A couple are like nightmarish memories. :eek:

Most I haven't read or even heard of. :blush: