• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ's and logic

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I have read in several places that NF's are not considered logical. And yet, I have always done well on tests that require logic. It seems quite insulting to be called non-logical.

Do you consider yourself logical?

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes! Very! Give me a huge, hulking task and I can break it down into tiny steps and explain it. Give me an SAT or GRE and I will do very, very well on the math section. Give me analytical work and make me back up my reasoning, and I will do just fine... (just don't make me do it debate format; writing, please!). I'm logical and meticulous and this is what I am paid to be... I think getting through the sciences without this might be hard? That being said, left to my own devices in my personal life, I use my intuition, check everything out with my logic, read and research some more, and then go ahead with things. Maybe the "intuition" part is why NFs get called non-logical? Because we can / do see the value in the things that are not necessarily logical?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
ixfj has Ti as third function and third function usually works pretty well in their 20's. i know two ixfj women, other is 22 i think other one is 27. younger one is pretty unhealthy, has mental problems, total lack of Ti and i doubt that she will develop much of Ti in the near future. older one is healthy(at least seems healthy as person can be, other than believes in imagination creatures(god) and is jealous), she has good Ti and seems almost like a T type, but what gives her away as F is that when it comes to something that goes against her values, like when a rap song says yo bitch for example, she thinks that its discriminating women and wont change her mind about it(but will listen to your arguments), no matter how good of an argument you make about it. she is clearly J type due to organizing, but isnt prejudice about everything, like some strong J people are. but shows Fe clearly.

i think when people say non-logical, they actually mean irrational and Fe + Ni combo can get bit irrational at times.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My brain is wired logically... my heart... it's another story. I tend to think of things in terms of systems, seeing how everything of a particular system influences each other. I have a decent development of Ti, which helps me to figure out what something means, or explaining why/how something occurs, and understanding it. I have more of a preference for external logic, to see if something will work via experimentation, or seeing if a relationship will work based on all sorts of criteria. My brain operates just like an INTJ, just whenever my emotions get the best of me, I may not seem super logical and more in a fantasy world, yearning for a romantic ideal to come true. Perhaps being involved with science has a lot to do with having a more logical mindframe. Just, when it comes to making the final decision, I go with what feels best for me.

I apply the scientific method to almost everything. Goes with being a biologist.

S

Sniffles

In the philosophical sense, sure, I have a fair grasp of it.

eclare

MBTI Type
INFJ
My brain is wired logically... my heart... it's another story. I tend to think of things in terms of systems, seeing how everything of a particular system influences each other. I have a decent development of Ti, which helps me to figure out what something means, or explaining why/how something occurs, and understanding it. I have more of a preference for external logic, to see if something will work via experimentation, or seeing if a relationship will work based on all sorts of criteria. My brain operates just like an INTJ, just whenever my emotions get the best of me, I may not seem super logical and more in a fantasy world, yearning for a romantic ideal to come true. Perhaps being involved with science has a lot to do with having a more logical mindframe. Just, when it comes to making the final decision, I go with what feels best for me.

I apply the scientific method to almost everything. Goes with being a biologist.

I'm not a scientist, but I agree with this 100%. It's weird - I can't say that anyone's ever called me illogical, except for those times that I'm in the throes of emotional turmoil, and I've never thought or heard of other people thinking that INFJs are illogical. I tend to think instead that we are always capable of grasping and using logic, it's just that we often find the logical answer emotionally unsatisfying.

Of course, some of us are able to then take it a step farther and use further logic to rationalize completely irrational decisions. But that's a subject for another day.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I consider myself to be a pretty irrational person--empiricism, common sense, science, and logic are all things that I keep at arm's length, and I'm prone to believe things that most people would think are strange or outlandish--but at the same time, I try to be exacting with my thoughts, and aside from all the mistiness and fast-flowing impressions that go through my head, I often am, at least in my own peculiar way.

Torai

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Depends on how I feel.

thegirlcandance

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I've had ENTPs comment on how I have an analytical mind. I think its just the Ni coming out in discussion that leads them to that conclusion. My Ti is fairly developed but not too well so I still don't consider myself "logical"... or at least not as much as the NTs of course.

Oddity

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I understand basic logic, however it's definately not my strong suit.

B

brainheart

I think the combo of intuition and feeling can be very logical. By this I mean logic as a system of reasoning. There's just not an obvious map diagramming it.

We live in a patriarchal world. Most men are thinking types. They think their way of logic is the 'correct' way, that using feeling to rationalize is flawed. You see evidence of this on this site all the damn time. On the aptitude tests I've taken, I score highest in verbal reasoning and decoding. But I don't think I reach my conclusions in the same way thinker types do.

StarsPer

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm definitely very logical; and while I am also very emotional, and that may blur some edges for me; it also serves as a strong motivator to be careful in my logic.

Lightyear

When I am not in the midst of an emotional turmoil I can be incredibly logical, I can reason at times very coldly but like some other INFJs have said especially in regards to people I wouldn't share my conclusions easily because I don't want to hurt people or come across as a cold-hearted bitch. In general people considerations are more important to me than other considerations, I don't deal well with confrontation and really, really dislike hurting people unless they had it coming for a while.

I also find seeing the world just through a logical lense plain boring, there is so much more to discover, that goes far beyond reason. I am far more drawn to the mystical, the vague and the airy-fairy then to cold hard facts. In contrast to some Ts I have read about I also always know what I am feeling and in general also why, though I have a very logical streak my emotions are omnipresent and I couldn't just push them to the side and ignore them.

Mysterious15

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Sure! I bet NF's are logical, I am called the most logical among my friends and I think what they mean to say is not that we aren't logical; its that we also think/do illogical things, depending upon our intuition, which logical people do not. :)

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
When I am not in the midst of an emotional turmoil I can be incredibly logical, I can reason at times very coldly but like some other INFJs have said especially in regards to people I wouldn't share my conclusions easily because I don't want to hurt people or come across as a cold-hearted bitch. In general people considerations are more important to me than other considerations, I don't deal well with confrontation and really, really dislike hurting people unless they had it coming for a while.

I consider myself logical when I've set my heart to complete a task or to accept a new challenge. When it comes to arguments, it really depends on who I'm dealing with. I tend to be more emotional rather than logical when I got hurted by those who I care.

I also find seeing the world just through a logical lense plain boring, there is so much more to discover, that goes far beyond reason. I am far more drawn to the mystical, the vague and the airy-fairy then to cold hard facts. In contrast to some Ts I have read about I also always know what I am feeling and in general also why, though I have a very logical streak my emotions are omnipresent and I couldn't just push them to the side and ignore them.

+1.