User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default INFPs & Team Sports

I was just wondering if any INFPs play team sports?

I play football (soccer) and, although I enjoy the game, find the "team" aspect of it a bit tiresome. The macho nature that seems to surround men's teams really bothers me because it seems as if I am expected to enjoy it. Frankly, I'd be quite happy turning up, chatting to my team mates, getting ready, playing, getting changed and then going home. The "forced fun" of the social aspects is actually quite annoying.

Are there any other anti-social INFPs like me that are stuck in this paradox?
    That girls are raped, that two boys knife a third,
    Were axioms to him, who'd never heard
    Of any world where promises were kept,
    Or one could weep because another wept.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Well, I have the problem that I am very bad at most sports and don't like participating in sports in general. So I obviously don't really love participating in team sports either. It comes to it too that I know that people at school usually rather didn't want me to have in their team. Although there were also a very small amount of sports activities where I was not that bad, but they were not played very often. Some examples:

-I was very bad at soccer when I was a small child, and people never wanted me to have in their team (got always chosen as last or second-last). I had low self-confidence in that area too, didn't try much. When I grew older and had a harder skin, I tried more things and I think actually I were a half-decent defender in comparison to some other people. Didn't get recognized by other people though
    -I was a decent goalkeeper in handball as it came out when I for some reason suddenly was in goal (I usually played on field, poorly, and was last choice always) and was suddenly the favourite choice for that job for some time. I had then one bad day where I then also lost quickly self-confidence and let nearly every ball through. Since then I was always last choice again.
    -At elementary school I was great at dodgeball and was a popular choice. In secondary school I was never a popular choice because people associated with me an all-around bad sports player, although I was very good at dodging the ball! I could make that for so long often, maybe because I was very calm and cool while doing so and was relative small
    -At ultimate frisbee I was for some time a popular choice because I was great at catching the frisbee. However we nearly never played that. I don't know why I was good at that, I found that thing is very easy to catch although I am not really tall.

Other team sports where I was all-around miserable involve basketball, volleyball, anything which includes running much, table tennis.

I don't like that aspects that you mentioned with the macho nature. I would feel much easier at sports if people could just play it for fun (hell it is freaking school sports, you don't win anything!) without the exaggerated competitive nature. People shouting at each other for no reason, making worse players feel miserable etc.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Adasta View Post
    I was just wondering if any INFPs play team sports?

I play football (soccer) and, although I enjoy the game, find the "team" aspect of it a bit tiresome. The macho nature that seems to surround men's teams really bothers me because it seems as if I am expected to enjoy it. Frankly, I'd be quite happy turning up, chatting to my team mates, getting ready, playing, getting changed and then going home. The "forced fun" of the social aspects is actually quite annoying.

Are there any other anti-social INFPs like me that are stuck in this paradox?
    You're not anti social. you're just sophisticated and are disgusted by overly macho, brutish and unintelligent behavior. this is a common trait among INFPs including myself

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

INFPs are intellectuals, we'd rather leave the physical stuff to the Sensors and take care of the conceptual aspect of things. SJs deal with the routine, SPs with the physical, NTs with the systematic and NFs with the problem solving, developing and creating.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    INFPs are intellectuals, we'd rather leave the physical stuff to the Sensors and take care of the conceptual aspect of things. SJs deal with the routine, SPs with the physical, NTs with the systematic and NFs with the problem solving, developing and creating.
    But I love sport! Although I am drawn more to the beauty of the game than to the physicality of it. For example, I enjoy stylistic football that incorporates several aspects that I like (which I shan't mention, mainly due to the fact this is mainly a North American forum). Sometimes I will stop trying if I feel that people are consistently ignoring me, usually for their own glory. If people aren't as skillful as I am, then I also get frustrated with them.

I am a person who likes to reflect, but I enjoy sport because its "bodiliness". It uses the body, therefore distracting the mind. Sometimes INFPs need to stop thinking.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

But I love sport! Although I am drawn more to the beauty of the game than to the physicality of it. For example, I enjoy stylistic football that incorporates several aspects that I like (which I shan't mention, mainly due to the fact this is mainly a North American forum). Sometimes I will stop trying if I feel that people are consistently ignoring me, usually for their own glory. If people aren't as skillful as I am, then I also get frustrated with them.

I am a person who likes to reflect, but I enjoy sport because its "bodiliness". It uses the body, therefore distracting the mind. Sometimes INFPs need to stop thinking.
    fair enough =) I have nothing against soccer myself, but that's not what I was referring to. you like the bodily aspect, but probably no the macho, tough guy aspect

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

fair enough =) I have nothing against soccer myself, but that's not what I was referring to. you like the bodily aspect, but probably no the macho, tough guy aspect
    Agreed

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Agreed

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Agreed
    to you too

MBTI
    INFP

Hmmm i haven't played team sports since i was like 16...

I played football when i was about 10, but i didn't really enjoy it and wasn't very good at it either back then because it took me a while to grow into my body. I'm still tall and thin but at that age i was like a wet noodle.

I did always enjoy street football with friends though, especially in my teens when i started to become not so noodly. At least when playing with my friends i could make mistakes without being treated like a war criminal. Well... they still yelled at me and called me an asshole, but that's something i can handle when coming from a friend. In the team... not so much. Actually, it wasn't so much the team members, they were pretty cool dudes. But those sideline dads ruined it for me... bunch of beer-bellied inbreds with grease-stained jumpsuits and big 8 carat gold chains whose sole purpose in life seems to be to relive their youth through their sons. What kind of grown ass man spends his entire saturday yelling at 10 year old children for recreational purposes?
    ik sprokkel wat dagen, drop baggage,
    soms heb ik geen zin om die koffers te dragen,
    ik laat los, los het op, word onzichtbaar
    en geef de buitenlucht wat ruimte terug
    dus.. nu zit ik op m'n fiets alsof het niets is,
    maar niets kan toch niet uit zichzelf pedalen laten draaien?

~ Typhoon