Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Cephalonimbus View Post
    Hmmm i haven't played team sports since i was like 16...

I played football when i was about 10, but i didn't really enjoy it and wasn't very good at it either back then because it took me a while to grow into my body. I'm still tall and thin but at that age i was like a wet noodle.

I did always enjoy street football with friends though, especially in my teens when i started to become not so noodly. At least when playing with my friends i could make mistakes without being treated like a war criminal. Well... they still yelled at me and called me an asshole, but that's something i can handle when coming from a friend. In the team... not so much. Actually, it wasn't so much the team members, they were pretty cool dudes. But those sideline dads ruined it for me... bunch of beer-bellied inbreds with grease-stained jumpsuits and big 8 carat gold chains whose sole purpose in life seems to be to relive their youth through their sons. What kind of grown ass man spends his entire saturday yelling at 10 year old children for recreational purposes?
    ugh...seriously, it's freakin pathetic. people who don't let kids be kids frustrate the hell out of me.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    INFPs are intellectuals, we'd rather leave the physical stuff to the Sensors and take care of the conceptual aspect of things. SJs deal with the routine, SPs with the physical, NTs with the systematic and NFs with the problem solving, developing and creating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adasta View Post
    But I love sport! Although I am drawn more to the beauty of the game than to the physicality of it. For example, I enjoy stylistic football that incorporates several aspects that I like (which I shan't mention, mainly due to the fact this is mainly a North American forum). Sometimes I will stop trying if I feel that people are consistently ignoring me, usually for their own glory. If people aren't as skillful as I am, then I also get frustrated with them.

I am a person who likes to reflect, but I enjoy sport because its "bodiliness". It uses the body, therefore distracting the mind. Sometimes INFPs need to stop thinking.
    I love sport too and have played a wide range of them! I haven't played any regular sport significantly since high school because I'm too poor, lazy and disorganized (its so much easier when it in the structured school environment). I'm pretty sure I buck the typical INFP trend because I'm rather competitive too (its genetic I swear )

I enjoyed team sports but often felt I was the only one taking it seriously. Girls in my soccer team would show up to games still half-drunk from the night before :rolli: . To answer the question: I think whether a sport is team based or individual had less affect on my interest in it than whether I'm simply enjoyed it or not. I don't feel that being in a team encroached on my personal space or anything.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Girls in my soccer team would show up to games still half-drunk from the night before :rolli:
    That never stopped this little fella'! One of the greatest players of all time. Rumour has it he had sex during half-time as well...

That girls are raped, that two boys knife a third,
    Were axioms to him, who'd never heard
    Of any world where promises were kept,
    Or one could weep because another wept.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Whats wrong with individual sports like athletics and swimming, gymnastics, diving etc.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Whats wrong with individual sports like athletics and swimming, gymnastics, diving etc.
    Absolutely nothing! I play those as well; it was simply that the team aspect intrigued me, since I find it taxing at times. :workout:
    That girls are raped, that two boys knife a third,
    Were axioms to him, who'd never heard
    Of any world where promises were kept,
    Or one could weep because another wept.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm not good at team sports and it is a mistake to make me play them when I don't want to (as in what happens at public schools).

I end up losing interest that was never really there and any sort of macho competitive nature that comes along with it would make me irritated. When I was a kid I would just try and sabotage the game and/or make my team lose if I didn't like the people on it by messing up on purpose or something like that. That was really enjoyable...to watch them get terribly frustrated at the idea that they were going to lose a game.

I did like playing team sports with real friends though, like small football games in my neighborhood or something. I wasnt too good at them but they were satisfying in their own way

I drink your milkshake. Thessaly's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

I have a major hate on for team sports.
    With dreamers, pure and simple, the imagination remains a vaguely sketched inner affair. It is not embodied in any aesthetic or practical invention. Reverie is the equivalent of weak desires. Dreamers are the aboulics of the creative imagination.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

When I was younger, I played soccer really well and played on a team for a small while, but I never cared much for the "team" aspect of it (which, I'm aware, defeats the whole purpose of being on a sports team to begin with). The main reason was most of the other kids didn't like me. They thought I was weird and told me so. The little twerps even rationalized it in their heads that my assumed "weirdness" was reason enough not to kick me the ball, even at the expense of the game. They let their feelings about me interfere with the game, and I just knew I couldn't keep playing for a team like that. Also, on occasion, I would forget some of the rules and send my coach into a frenzy when I screwed up. I think I only really knew the basic "ball in goal = SCORE!!!" one. It got me pretty far, though.

I ended up never playing long enough to become serious about it, but I play now with friends sometimes. As long as the rules are pretty lax.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    ILE

The macho stuff is likely to be beneficial to you, as it forces you to work on your weaker aspects. I spent 8 years in the US Marine Corps, and the macho stuff is the main reason I quit. I did not like it, no way. However repulsive it is, an element of this machismo must be experienced. Much of it is simple humor, manifest through coarse sexual braggadocio. Veiled with it are the skilled efforts of the "sensing types" to feel out any weaknesses of their comrades, and then issue forth a challenge. You, I bet, do not want these challenges, because they are dopey and counter-productive to building teamwork. Observe, however, the other men and how they take these challenges. Model your behavior on those jocks who are most successful at redirecting the challenge away from the distructive testing of weakness and move the braggart towards team building. Eventually, you will be able to do the same. You need to insure that you are capable of dealing with challenges politely, as to insure the team is not harmed by the excess of the jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by Thessaly View Post
    I have a major hate on for team sports.
    +1