User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I think it's also important to recognize not only what the memories were from an objective standpoint, but that the same event may affect any person differently depending on their age, previous experiences and level of sensitivity.

MBTI
    INFJ

This thread was helpful! I think I'm realizing that for whatever reason, there is a lot of crap in my past (some combination of it actually being bad + sensitivity on my part), and that recognizing that is okay and safe now -- but it wasn't before, like Fidelia mentioned in an older post. More things continue to bubble up, but it's not quite as scary anymore. I am angry about a lot of things that happened a long time ago though (INFJ delayed processing time to the max?), and that's challenging.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

At least if you become consciously aware of the factors and events that affected you, you have the tools to make decisions about how you will conduct your own home, instead of subconsciously chasing after what you didn't get or avoiding fears from the past.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I block out memories I feel guilty about. Memories that just hurt and wouldn't make me stronger in any possible way. Useless memories. Or at least, I try to. Somehow exactly these things keep coming back all the time and then they ruin my mood for a while and make me feel sick. These memories always come up when I'm feeling extremely good and I see something that I immediately associate with it. It makes me seem a bit bipolar at times. However, there was one very painful episode in my life and if you'd ask me about the details, I seriously don't know what happened. Only that at one point I didn't want to live anymore and I stayed in bed for a week after the drama, planning how I'd commit suicide. I lost everything that was dear to me, all love, friendship, respect, status and privacy. I was permanently afraid of what was going to be next. It ended up ruining some more years of my life, not only the years I was depressed, but also the years after that. It ruined me as a person, I don't trust people anymore and I'm not able anymore to gain healthy relationships. I'm not happy it happened. These years of my life didn't turn out the way I wanted them to. But I survived and that's what matters most. I was thinking about having "VIVO" ("I live" in Latin) tattooed on my back to celebrate it. Well, of course there is practically not too much to celebrate. Wow, I breathe, so do six billion other people. But you know, you just need to try to see things more positive than how they really are, otherwhise you can't survive on this planet. Okay, none of us will survive. We'll all day one day or another, but you know what I mean. Anyways, what was this thread about again?
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    INFJ

fidelia:At least if you become consciously aware of the factors and events that affected you, you have the tools to make decisions about how you will conduct your own home, instead of subconsciously chasing after what you didn't get or avoiding fears from the past.
    So true, and this is where the responsibility part comes in. What am I supposed to do as these memories bubble up? Probably implement their lessons, that is, not making my new household reflect the negative tendencies of the old one. Now, when I see myself doing something that would happen in my old home (getting excessively frustrated at a small task, being unpredictably moody), it's sort of terrifying. Fears and wants from the past -- I'll have to think about what these might be a little bit more. I don't have a lot of clarity on that. Probably boundaries though, and feeling respected as an individual. And having an inherent worth, rather than a worth based on how I can benefit someone else (so many of my relationships still reflect this -- what kind of a value-add am I?).

Queen Kat: But you know, you just need to try to see things more positive than how they really are, otherwise you can't survive on this planet.
    I think this is true. My freshman psych 101 teacher said that 85% of people rate themselves as above average intelligence, but among depressed people, only 50% do. Interesting, right? Somehow that stat stuck with me. Sounds like you had a really cataclysmic event happen and are still rebuilding -- is that right? It sounds really rough, to keep having "useless" memories come up, destroy your mood and make you feel sick, then have to suppress them again. Is there a way you can release them, rather than trying to control them? Suppressing, in my experience, is incredibly difficult.

OP: it doesnt happen to me now, though I repressed bunch of traumatic memories from my childhood that i recently just remembered.. but i assume what are you talking about is actually dissociation, which is normal in small doses, when you do it a lot it's because of some trauma.
    I dissociate* quite a lot because of severe early childhood trauma (which is decreasing since i began to resolve the trauma), but I dont have memory problems in literal sense. *in my case its more like zoning out, e3 slide to e9.