User Tag List

View Poll Results: Fi ONLY: Do you feel safe to freely share your thoughts about Fi on TypoC?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 63.89%
  • No

13 36.11%
First 2345614 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    me

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I don't feel "unsafe" to discuss Fi, but I do get a sense that any discussion of Fi from actual Fi-doms (and Fi-aux) people will be belittled, mocked, and eventually suppressed, yes. The massive Fe/Fi gone awry thread was actually heartening in some ways; it was allowed to develop into honest discussion. I already see this thread being subjected to a discrediting; it will be written off as whiny & without provocation because that is easier to do than address any actual points. It's almost like people are threatened by a Fi-dom having an opinion. We're only cool as long as we passively agree & keep quiet. God forbid we have a spine. The double standard regarding this aspect with NTs annoys me (Why can't I be flippant on occasion also?). If anyone were to call them out on making emotionally laden posts, they'd get all pissy about it & deny it. I'm cool to admit I can be sensitive & emotional, but doing so just provides ammunition for others to invalidate your words. Not to mention, I don't think an emotional & sensitive response is invalid anyway; why are people so threatened by non-stoic communication? It seems to me it's because they don't handle their own passionate side well, and they assume others cannot either; their only solution is to put a damper on it. Meanwhile, the F types were getting along just fine.

I noticed that when an INTJ made a Fi thread some time ago, the discussion was validated by others, and the viewpoint from the INTJ was taken seriously (can't remember the poster name....sorry). That's frustrating. It's not that the thread was not interesting or not accurate, but it illustrates how Fi discussed by Fi-ers in a Fi way is invalidated by comparison. I wonder if we had "NT" under our avatars if our comments would be taken differently (I think so)*.

I don't even care if other non-Fi types don't want to participate, but why they have to pop their head in to do nothing more than make snarky comments in an attempt to derail the thread is beyond me. That is my observation. I don't plan on NOT talking about Fi or function theory any less than I have been or in any different way (I don't care about popularity or being a voice of dissent), but I will continue to expect my view to be disregarded by anyone who is NOT a Fi-dom or aux. It is funny how much the Fi-dom and aux people actually AGREE in these discussions though; it seems we grasp each other just fine in our communication styles (exploring feelings, tossing out ideas, comparing notes, making conjectures). I find much more similarity emerges than differences, and exploring the disagreements can be interesting when viewed through the lens of the enneagram. No one is trying to "win" or "prove" anything, which I guess is foreign to T types. It's called sharing & exploration.

*It's also interesting how that loooong Ni thread was explored in a similar vein, and no one got all pissy about it.
    *thumbs up*

----
    Personally, I always feel safe to discuss things in a fi manner. If someone questions me, I'm willing to answer. The often complimentary condescending tone doesn't bother me; i'm not out to convince anybody of anything I may hold to be true; because people are generally set in their own ways anyway. I let people think what they want, and question what they want. If it completely misses the mark or comes from a position of not having the appropriate information to hold a judgment in the first place, I don't take any of their comments on board, and instead of 'educating' them, I let them go off and get some more information themselves. I let them dig; eventually they get tired and move on.

I assume most people naturally feel dismay regarding any attitude that is different to their own. The Fi/fe thing has been blown out of proportion in my view. Everybody has values; we all seem quick to label that Fi. We are also all quick to make hasty generalisations about type based on persons who we think are that type. It's not just fi-doms who don't like gross generalisations and misunderstanding.

Anyway, I think Se gets the worst rep on typology forums :\

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

se? you do? why's that? what's wrong with se? that's good stuff...i'd take more of that...
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Banned
    MBTI
    me

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    se? you do? why's that? what's wrong with se? that's good stuff...i'd take more of that...
    Is your question rhetorical Lady X? I mentioned that because of the assumed superiority/inferiority of certain functions, se for example. Though I'm sure you already know that, so I feel a little silly for answering the question if you didn't need an answer :P I would like some more se too :\
    Anyway, I don't wish to digress too far from the topic at hand...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i was asking for real...just haven't really seen anyone express disdain for the se...that's why i asked.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

A window to the soul

The water feels warm here. When it's frigid, it's invigorating as we discover who we are. In here, there are all sorts of hopefuls, victims, lovers and haters. Some of which will motivate; some will fascinate; some will frustrate, but none of which to fear...

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

To answer the OP, yes and no. My thoughts:

- When I see another threat about INFPs or Fi I wince a little. This is partly out of embarrassment and sympathy for the other types because of just how ubiquitous they are. It is also because I know they all but invite unjustified belligerent attacks on us. Like OA said, it bothers me that Fi users (INFPs in particular) are frequently treated as a joke by so many. No matter how reasonable and thought-provoking these discussions are, they will nonetheless treated as just silly, whining, emotional nonsense; despite the fact that almost all Fi discussions are nothing of the sort. In fact I almost always approach them in a measured, emotionally distanced manner and resent being written off as a hysterical woman for simply wishing to discuss an emotion based subject matter. It is even worse when I seek to defend myself and am accused of being 'too sensitive'. :rolli:
    -Fi doms/aux are introspective by nature. Our personalities, demeanours and motivations deeply intrigue us and the endless threads exploring these are merely an expression of our type. I really don't see that I should be consistantly attacked for my natural inclinations. And to reiterate what someone said earlier, Fi Ne users also like to cover the same ground over and try to squeeze out some new significance from it. Again this is a type based behaviour. I often feel that many NTs in particular are unwilling to attempt to understand us on our own terms. I am so damn tolerant and accommodating to others and their differences; can't people return the favour.
    - On the other hand, Fi doms/aux are inclined to be a little to precious about the function. I am fine with people here saying they find it fascinating and love it to death as long as we acknowledge that everyone feels that way about their dom and aux functions. There can be a degree of misunderstanding here, however, as Fi users often speak from a very subjective experience as a way of stimulating discussion. I think we have to be more careful in framing our responses so as not to appear to be treating our experiences as somehow special or tearing down other functions/types in order to define or bolster our own. We can get a bit carried away when given the chance to speak frankly about these things and perhaps need to be little more mindful of how we express ourselves. Granted we are not the worst offenders in this regard by any means.

I must say on the whole I feel happy with talking openly about Fi around here due to the shear numbers of us. It would be nice if I didn't have to constantly brace myself for the inevitable attacks but they don't put me off too much.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by perfectgirl View Post
    The water feels warm here. When it's frigid, it's invigorating as we discover who we are. In here, there are all sorts of hopefuls, victims, lovers and haters. Some of which will motivate; some will fascinate; some will frustrate, but none of which to fear...
    i'm confused by you...were you an infp at one time? or do i have you confused with someone else?
    -Jim Morrison

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i'm confused by you...were you an infp at one time? or do i have you confused with someone else?
    Not sure.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

you don't know if you were an infp at one time?
    -Jim Morrison

A window to the soul

INTP by day. INFP by night.