User Tag List

View Poll Results: Fi ONLY: Do you feel safe to freely share your thoughts about Fi on TypoC?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 63.89%
  • No

13 36.11%
First 243233343536 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    The big deal is made about the whole group in a public way, but the resolution is usually not. But the Fi user might not realize that that thing is still affecting the group, because it doesn't traffic in group dynamics, anyway.
    Could also the nature of forgive and forget play a role? Once an error is addressed, clarified or resolved it totally is put in the past and I move on. Total forgiveness-as long as the problem was totally resolved, discussed and will not be repeated. Just throwing it out there..

(also-my above post re mods was just sort of illustrative as to what might be happening, not really my opinion on this topic of mods and PMs. On this forum it would be fairly ridiculous to ever suspect a mod-as each as an individual has always seemed to possess integrity, so it isnt something I would question. I was on another forum in which a mod admitted they read every single VM written...I found that a little odd but I guess it's public stuff.)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Thanks all for the thoughts in the last bunch of posts, but just to bring this back on track, there's nothing in this thread accusing the mods of any deception. Part of the issue is lack of knowledge, and part is mistrust of motivations. I would posit that in general Fi / Te makes comments that reveal the former ignorance, and Fe / Ti the latter ignorance.

The last heated thread on PM's and mod-actions was for prp's banning and although I didn't track it in detail, there was outcry regardless of Fi or Fe orientation.

The forum is a piece of software that retains the information posted in a database, and that includes PM's. The database will have all of your PM's stored in it of course. The mods have publicly stated they don't have access to the database, they only have access through the browser-based forum interface, and the permissions in the forum interface are set such that mods don't have access to the PM system. I've no reason to distrust that.

'Nuff said.

If you have something you need to keep perfectly, utterly private, it should never be shared in any online venue, regardless of how many safeguards are in place to protect your privacy.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Yeah, sorry about that PB! Back to the matter at hand. I think you summed it up quite nicely.

So what do you see as being the main way to handle this in a practical sense? Obviously, we want all users to feel comfortable saying what's on their mind. At the same time, we know that we don't live in an ideal world either. What ways do you see of balancing these two problems?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I am not sure what this thread is getting at but...

I feel "safe" to discuss Fi as a concept here. I have no perspective on whether I feel safe to discuss my own personal values here.

In the real world, I don't really feel like it goes very well when I express my own personal values that are not held by the group. Even stupid trivial stuff like how I don't respect music unless the lyrics have meaning to me and the person singing the lyrics is the person who wrote them. Boy do I ruffle some feathers with that one. People think I am attacking their favorite bands. Sigh... you shouldn't have asked me if you didn't want to know how I feel... "But Michael Buble puts on a good show!" "I don't care."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by stalemate View Post
    "But Michael Buble puts on a good show!" "I don't care."
    So there's nothing he can do to Sway your mind?

On a more serious note, yeah, I don't get why people seem to assume that when I say "I don't like X", it means "I hate X" or "You shouldn't like X"
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    So there's nothing he can do to Sway your mind?

On a more serious note, yeah, I don't get why people seem to assume that when I say "I don't like X", it means "I hate X" or "You shouldn't like X"
    This was part of what I was trying to understand with my silly christmas light question a few posts back.

Sometimes when we simply share a value, can it be mistaken as at attempt at to convince others of a value?

In the context of the thread topic-perhaps sometimes here, when we share our values, they are misunderstood by an Fe user, as a critique of the Fe user's values...thus it precipitates an uncomfortable situation between individuals as a value debate arises and it leaves Fi users less willing to share values openly?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

That might be the case. I usually only show the parts of me that agree with the other person unless I am kind of close to them, or I want to try to change their mind on something. Don't know if all Fe people are like that, but if they are, it would explain why they either see you as being difficult or trying to persuade if you express an opposing point of view or express a very strong like or dislike.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I can't say if it is Fe or what it is, but a lot of people seem to think I am trying to sway them or convince them of things when I state my beliefs. They don't really like this so I keep things to myself a lot.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    When an Fi user openly states an Fi value they hold closely.....could it be perceived by an Fe user as someone challenging their Fe values? So the Fi user states something particular to them as an individual, but the Fe receiver may interpret it as an Fe value critique, since they listen with Fe-thus what they hear is a critique of their Fe value?

For example:

Fi: I like purple christmas lights and think they are the best thing to hang from my light fixtures.
    Fe hears: Purple christmas lights are what everybody SHOULD be hanging from their light fixtures.
    Fe responds: Purple christmas lights are a ridiculous thing to hang from light fixtures.
    Fi user: Ummmm, I never said you had to do it??
    I missed this example earlier. Again, I don't know if I can narrow it to Fe but I have had almost this exact exchange several times (this is a real scenario from my life)...

Me: I think shoes are harmful to our feet. I am experimenting going minimal or barefoot as much as possible to try and make my feet healthier.
    Other: But I NEED support! I have plantar [fasciatis/fallen arches/shin splints/overpronation], etc!
    Me: Well, I think the reason you need support is because you have support. If you went without it for a while you probably wouldn't need it anymore. (notice... to me, this is just a theory, i said earlier this is an experiment for myself, I am not trying to convince others to do anything, just stating what I think and why I am doing what I do).
    Other: You are going to hurt yourself! What if you step on broken glass or used needles?! (wtf? used needles?)
    Me: I have eyes and I don't walk through a lot of used needle areas. I think shoes are doing me more harm than what they are protecting me from.
    Other: This is ridiculous! People can't go barefoot! We invented shoes for a reason! I think it is insane that you think we should all be walking around the streets with no shoes on!

And at some point it gets back to me that people heard I am trying to convert the whole society to minimal shoes or barefoot. /sigh

People ridicule me for my ideas, but when I just do things they don't say a word. I went shopping in Target barefoot a while back and no one said a thing. But if I tell people that I think it is better for me to go barefoot, they go ape shit on me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

^ no shirt, no shoes, no service!

pants however, are clearly optional
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching