• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] INFP/ENFP: Do you feel "safe" to openly & freely share your thoughts about Fi here?

Fi ONLY: Do you feel safe to freely share your thoughts about Fi on TypoC?

• Yes

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • No

Votes: 13 39.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
To all: although I find the discussion interesting, let's be careful here, I don't want to specifically dissect the guides and those threads in this one.

Thanks. :)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
pb, i understand why you're saying that, but the point of my personal discussion is trying to understand the resistance to Fi users speaking certain opinions. that last thread was a good example because it addresses this situation.

--

anyway, as for Fe and Fi, i still don't understand why certain topics are such a problem in the eyes of some* Fe users. the message i keep getting from them is "the issue is already decided; stop talking about that. you're harping on it because there is a problem with you, not the issue."

why will they not concede to address the issues? if they'd just offer some proof that the issue is a non-issue, then i'll toddle on my way. but there's no willingness to even address the issue. i'm just getting shut down. i don't get it.

here, suddenly, i get penalized for being open-minded by the people i would most expect to be open. why?

that's why i don't feel safe. i feel like i keep getting told to shut up or <insert threat here>.

*a few in particular. not all by any means.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
^ you know I love your input here - and you have a very valid question and make excellent points, and am not trying to "shut you down". If we want to do this >> "trying to understand the resistance to Fi users speaking certain opinions ..." I support it 100%. I just want to careful that those threads don't become the focal point in this one, and I get some feely-tones that we could all of a sudden be massively headed in that direction. (I know some of that has come up here already in thread, as is to be expected.)

:hug: But, if we need to go there, we can and will. Is it OK though if we press the pause button for a sec? PM me and we will figure out how to mesh it together.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ oh it's ok! i don't mind pulling it back from the Fe-Fi guide stuff. i'd like to be done with that anyway. just wanted to explain why i was talking about it again in the first place :)

the shutting down wasn't meant at you, either, sorry. that was probably misleading. that's how i feel towards certain Fe users on the boards. i've edited it to be more clear now :yes:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I can step in a bit again...

I'm still seeing some misunderstanding on this idea that Fi-users are being shut down when all they want to do is discuss ideas.

This is also related to the miscommunication between the Fi-users and the non-Fi-users (I could say Fe-users, but it seems weird to call INTPs that for example).

The Fi-users believe they are discussing ideas, though perhaps in a Fi-friendly language.

The non-Fi-users don't see it that way. They see it as more self-absorbed complaining.

In other words, the non-Fi-users simply don't recognize that there is any content to actually discuss, just complaints to fend off before another thread is ruined by them. Again, it really does come down to communication styles. Even when there is content, it will get passed over because "complaints" are more attention-getting.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
an offended Fe dom/aux... like backs away and takes indirect potshots. i don't know how to identify it, and i don't know how to deal with it. i feel like Fe users want to silence and prolong conflict, when i'd rather just get it out into the open and address it and be done with it. and i don't want to escalate things but i feel like i always inadvertently do. help pls?

Sometimes when I end up bowing out and don't respond or continue the thread of conversation, it's not that I'm offended, it's just that I've kind of concluded or resigned myself to the fact that it's very likely a 'will have to agree to disagree' thing, and I just don't want to prolong needlessly when I sense that that's probably the case and we're just coming at things from different angles such that we're practically discussing two different things. It's not even that one way is invalid and the other way is 'right' - they're just such utterly different 'ways' that they become different topics/conversations, almost, and everyone has their own unique 'purpose' in the thread and there's no cohesion of intent/purpose.

how could Fi users have discussed the issue of the Fi guide being "off" / not being up to snuff with the other guides without upsetting Fe users? imo, it being published makes it even more important to talk about. like peer review. but the more i read, the more it seems like Fe users think we just shouldn't discuss it, period. bringing in Fe really doesn't have anything to do with the accuracy of the Fe guide. it's about making a comparison between the two guides and noting how they're different.

I know we discussed some of this outside the context of the threads, so don't want to repeat myself, but I really think we're (as in you and me individually, I shouldn't speak for Fe in general) just seeing a different 'purpose' in those threads and also you are focusing on how Fe/Fi are similar and can be contrasted, and I am focusing on the other side of the coin which is that in many ways they have zero business being compared and are nothing alike. And again, I guess I took at as an accepted Given that they are/would be different, because they ARE different. If they weren't different, they wouldn't be two separate functions. Cognitively they do very different things with very different 'goals'/purposes. I honestly don't think I can say anything else... we're just honing in on different aspects I think. This isn't meant at all to brush over your views and what you were trying to do in that thread - we just have very different aims and again are focusing on different elements.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I can step in a bit again...

I'm still seeing some misunderstanding on this idea that Fi-users are being shut down when all they want to do is discuss ideas.

This is also related to the miscommunication between the Fi-users and the non-Fi-users (I could say Fe-users, but it seems weird to call INTPs that for example).

The Fi-users believe they are discussing ideas, though perhaps in a Fi-friendly language.

The non-Fi-users don't see it that way. They see it as more self-absorbed complaining.

In other words, the non-Fi-users simply don't recognize that there is any content to actually discuss, just complaints to fend off before another thread is ruined by them. Again, it really does come down to communication styles. Even when there is content, it will get passed over because "complaints" are more attention-getting.

this is interesting to me as well. i was also wondering what was actually being discussed...but just assumed it was from threads i wasn't involved in...and maybe it is...but i've been trying to catch myself up and i'm still failing to see the actual issue.

sculpting

Hello Fe user! :)

Are they really complaining or are they pointing out flaws in an idea? The idea happened to be a description-an idea- that they had an Fi disagreement with...they analyzed with Fi and found it flawed thus begin verbal discussion and dissection with Te about how to improve it??

sculpting

Yeah I’m going to have to echo this. I don’t know where the notion that Ti user personal identification is wrapped up in ideas is coming from. Like I said earlier [or maybe I didn’t? I can’t remember anymore] it’s far more the process than the idea itself.

Sorry that may be my fault....a long time ago Sim said his ego was wrapped up in Ti...which I assumed meant ideas,

Well, especially in a work situation, something like “this feels like the wrong idea” is completely useless information. The next question is inevitably “Why?” You might as well just say "Hmmm, have you considered a different platform upon which to base this application? Platform XYZ has a number of limitations that could inhibit our future development path, what else do you guys think we should explore" first. :shrug:

Ti users are always going to need reasons, deductions, steps. The existence of something, like a feeling or a value, doesn’t necessarily make it important to consider. Now, this is a far less useful stance to have interpersonally, which is where we have our issues. I suppose from a Ti point of view, translating things into “feeling” terms never seems like a good idea, so we never do it.

I often find at work that I have to go dig up useless, error ridden, flawed market research studies to convince people to make a certain choice. I know the choice is correct as based upon my observations of customers, the market, the product and the needs, it "feels" right. However there must always be the useless data hunt-which wastes 20 to 50K each time.

I often ran into this issue with the engineers I work with as well. During the first few placements of a new instrument I would mention there was an issue that needed investigation. They assumed it was a one-off and ignored me when I said "Have you considered it might be this?" I would watch the same problem crop up on ten or twelve more systems-compile mountains of paper, then go in and say "Umm, it might be that you should consider this." before they would take it seriously. After working with the same team for about five years, I no longer need the mountains of paper-I just say "This seems wrong" and they pay attention, as I have caught so many problems this way in the past-all by visceral gut feelings about how and what a problem may be or about the importance of a problem. I would suggest that Ti alone provides an incomplete data set that could be complemented by Fi analysis depending upon the complexity of the problem at hand and how people contaminated it is.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Are they really complaining or are they pointing out flaws in an idea? The idea happened to be a description-an idea- that they had an Fi disagreement with...they analyzed with Fi and found it flawed thus begin verbal discussion and dissection with Te about how to improve it??

Doesn't matter, the problem is in the perception.

If you want my opinion though - there are ideas being discussed AND complaining.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ this is true.

though, notably, the bulk of the complaining comes after the first wave of pointing out something "not right" is ignored.

cascadeco said:
And again, I guess I took at as an accepted Given that they are/would be different, because they ARE different. If they weren't different, they wouldn't be two separate functions. Cognitively they do very different things with very different 'goals'/purposes.

yeah. you're right, you and i are just looking at two different facets. i still am trying to emphasize that being separate functions doesn't necessarily mean they're not going to overlap, though. they'll overlap in their Feeling-ness -- just like Fi will overlap with Si in terms of Introversion. i'll try to avoid conversation of the guides in this thread per PB but i'm itching to get back to it because i feel like the initial problem with the Fi guide was largely that a big chunk of perspective was missing, and that perspective pertained to Feeling overlap.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

So I have Fe because I agree with him? What about Lady X who can't for the life of her see anything wrong? Is Tater an INFJ too? What about FineLine? What about the 14 (vs. 11) Fi users who DO feel safe?

I think these questions need to be asked, because there are very very few people on this forum who actually follow function theory who think I have Fe.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've got to stop these giant posts... :doh:
We should always keep this bolded point in mind.

Part of my theme in THIS thread is that NFPs are responsible for making their own "safe place". Not by disengaging and PMing each other in private, but by acknowledging that maybe, just MAYBE, you might have misread the tone. Odds are, you have, especially if it's a poster you've read and agreed with many times before, when their words weren't directed at you.

You think this is unlikely, perhaps, that you must have read the tone right? Guess what: they think they read YOUR initial statement(s) right! And you know they didn't. :devil:
Yeah, you're right. Caution is needed on both sides.

The thing is there is a difference between thinking the other group is being rather annoying and being made to feel like the other group is attacking you. When NTs misread our posts, they get irritated; when we misread theirs, we feel like we're being accused of being pathetic, narcissistic, perverse, wastes of space. It is not that we misread more, it is that there is greater personal impact on us from the same level of misinterpretation. I realise this probably sounds whiny but its harder to overcome a wounding statement seemingly targeted at you. Even if we try to step back and assume they meant well, the hurt has already taken hold and it is difficult to overlook.

Here's where it gets funny. As an NT myself, and particularly as an INTJ, I express my respect for you by considering your point of view and replying to it. If I thought it didn't merit attention, I wouldn't enter the conversation in the first place. Yet if I didn't have a great many years of practice and focus on learning how to communicate, you'd perceive my words just as you perceive theirs. Thoughtless, hurtful, negative. Why? Because ill-phrased disagreement, with a complete absence of tone to make clear one's good intentions, feels hurtful and negative. NTs are used to being "rude" and "abrupt" with one another, though that rudeness and abruptness is more the incidental sound of ideas colliding into each other, with all parties interested in seeing what might appear on the other side. Once in a while, even as an NT, someone says something that gets my goat, so to speak. We have to deal with that same hurtfulness that you NFPs have to deal with - we've just had a lot of practice putting it to one side, because it comes with the territory.
I realize it is easy to inadvertently misphrase one's words and I don't doubt NTs can get hurt by comments made here. I certainly wouldn't wish to engage in behaviour that resulted in that. But we can all acknowledge that its harder to hurt an NT than a NFP. I don't want to sound like its a competition, only to explain that more care is needed with us than talking to a fellow NT; just as much as we must take the time to look past any abruptness.

But I don't wish to seem like I want to continue to debate this when I feel we mostly agree. It is, as you imply, very much about individuals developing the personal skills to deal with this stuff.
So when NFPs enter into the conversation, I fully understand that there's a good deal of harshness, but one should understand that it is largely incidental, unintended, and is backed by genuine disagreement/misunderstanding.

Can the solution to this "safe environment" question simply be for NFPs to realize that text-based disagreement can sound thoughtless and dismissive, even though it really isn't, and wouldn't be heard as such, in person?
It's also the responsibility of other people to cease deliberate provocation, and for the mods to warn about it when it becomes incessant. The NFP "hot button" is not hard to find, and some people seem obsessed with pressing it over and over again when NFP's engage in a discussion. It's ignorable to a point, then one can only extrapolate from repeated offenses that it's done with specific intention, that it's no oopsie-style accident.

Where does one draw the line? Many people on the forum just shake their heads and dismiss provocative posts as ridiculous I know, but that doesn't make it OK. Does it?
While I do agree with ummlau about caution in reading posts, I do think there is truth in this.

My gut feeling is that NFP's are hesitant to report posts ... we know we can be sensitive sometimes and so we already err on the side of the poster, believing that they didn't intend to be hurtful. NFP's, do you agree or see that differently?
As far as my memory serves me, I have never reported a single post or poster. It would take something undeniably wrong for me to do so. I don't wish to report someone simply because I find them rude and irritating - I think it is better to leave it to the mods to decide on such things. But frankly I don't judge whether a post is inappropriate based on if I think they deserved to get banned or not. In life, there are no legal consequences for being a jerk but there are often social ones - and these are what leads people to check their behaviour. Unfortunately we seem to be lacking this factor here because its 'the internet' and 'it doesn't count' for some reason.

and i do know that there's a big difference between an emotionally-charged post that's not meant as an attack (eg my last response to proteanmix's post), and an emotionally-charged post that is meant as an attack, and i can easily tell the difference with Fi users, but a lot of times i can't tell the difference with Fe users. it's funny how clear the Fi pattern of aggression is - it's very reactionary - but Fe is so confusing to me. an offended Fi dom/aux just gets closer and closer and explodes. it's super obvious. and a Fi-Fi fight... it's like 3 minutes of yelling at one another really loudly then both people breaking down and crying and lots of hugs. it's kinda intense but it's very... well, easy. fast. things get out in the open, get healed. boom and done.
I don't know about the crying and hugging part :huh: ;)

You are right about how its loud then quickly over and healed. I just find we yell, storm off and sulk and then after an hour or so everyone is way over it. :D However I rarely get to that stage - I mostly deal with my feelings myself than talking/yelling it out.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've got to stop these giant posts... :doh:

Yeah, you're right. Caution is needed on both sides.

The thing is there is a difference between thinking the other group is being rather annoying and being made to feel like the other group is attacking you. When NTs misread our posts, they get irritated; when we misread theirs, we feel like we're being accused of being pathetic, narcissistic, perverse, wastes of space.

I doubt this is always the case. I'm sure some NTs get tired of being accused of being "big meanies" when they're just being objective or rational, and I've seen NFs go off on NTs for basically no reason at all...and NFs can, in certain cases, be much nastier since we are more likely to become emotional and act out. I think some NTs have surely been told they are perverse, narcissistic, pathetic wastes of space, and worse. Some of them probably get frustrated and feel misunderstood when people keep insisting they be politically correct or overly polite and they weren't even trying to be "mean." Like Uumlau already pointed out, NTs DO have feelings, and if their feelings get hurt they're accustomed to pushing it aside and covering it up through T preference habit, not because they don't actually have hurt feelings inside.

It is not that we misread more, it is that there is greater personal impact on us from the same level of misinterpretation. I realise this probably sounds whiny but its harder to overcome a wounding statement seemingly targeted at you. Even if we try to step back and assume they meant well, the hurt has already taken hold and it is difficult to overlook.

On one hand I do understand you, I do. On the other hand, there are situations where some NFs don't want to hear the truth or a conflicting point of view, even if in reality it might be to their own benefit.

G

Ginkgo

Yes, I feel free to express my thoughts about Fi on TypoC. No one can "shut" anyone else "down". Everyone is free to engage in discussion or discourse by default. If someone challenges my thoughts on the issue, then it's a sign that could mean at least one of us is wrong. If someone is solicited by a challenge, they are free to keep expressing themselves, either indirectly or directly to the challenger.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Much has been said in this thread, including a lot that I probably think is nitpicking beyond my interest level, but I'll go ahead and add in a smidgeon. As poster number 2 in this thread, it's time to add more!

I've probably said all of this before, but I'll repeat it again.
1) I REALLY don't understand why Fi and Fe seem to feel so much contention for each other here. IRL I rarely experience this issue/dynamic. Fe'ers and I usually share common goals, as fas as I can tell, and usually we work to find a mutually acceptable conclusion. Fe tends to do better when dealing with groups or with people we don't know well, but Fi brings plenty of value to the table in terms of insight, caring, going the extra mile, being thoughtful, etc.
2) As an INFP who can easily be misconstrued as a INTP, and having known LOTS of INTP's in my time, I also don't see the issue with Ti/Fi. NOw sure, me volunteering with dogs isn't going to help any ones chess skills, and vice versa, but I just haven't seen conflict here either.

3) Ok, conflict time. I think that if Fe wants to get into conniptions with a function, Ti is the natural and obvious choice for a sparring war with Fe. "You didn't think it through enough" "your not fully informed" "you don't understand" "that is stupid and illogical" etc would be typical arguments I'd expect from Ti against Fe's directives. I've read that Te-Fi and Fe-Ti are both mutually antagonistic pairings.

4) I kinda see how Fe and Te could get along, since both are practical/pragmatic/effective-oriented, but personally if I ever wanted to attack/deny/refute/ignore/invalidate/etc Fe, Te is where I see it coming from. Sure, Ti might have theoretically-based disagreements with Fe, but the only "STFU and do your job, no one gives a shit what you think or how you feel or why" "we don't have time or resources" "this is irrelevant" "shut up and do what is expected of you" "I can tell you the truth, or I can stand here and blow sunshine up your ass" type comments I here ALL come from Te users. "Our pragmatism trumps your social buttkissing", so to speak.

To me, one of the main contributions of Fi is high minded ideals that Ne then helps to bring into reality, and then INFP's can inspire others and lead the way. Many of the highest forms/expressions of altruism come from Fi peeps.

I guess I should point out that I have rarely had the luxury of spending time in Fe-dom groups, or even in F-dom groups period.

I think things work out better when we can accept people for who they are and the gifts/skills they bring to the table. This probably ties back into me never having spent much time in F-dom groups, but I've never had the luxury of being like "Well, you *are* F[e/i], but you know I'm F[i/e] and, well, your just not F[i/e] enough for me!!! [thumbs nose at irrelevant F[e/i] person]" I think its stupid, misguided, uninformed, narrow-minded, biggoted, or delusional to expect that others will use the same functions that you do, or that they should adjust/compensate their functions to match yours. For example, I don't stand there and tell my ENFJ friend "Wow, your so nice and poised and outgoing and friendly and all, but really, your just not high-minded and idealistic enough [Fi deficient]. Oh, and by the way, your art skills suck [Se]. Man, I *wish* you were an ISFP!!!"

I think its somewhat rare for other types, especially the T ones, to particularly like or respect Fi, *especially* outside of social relationships. Sometimes I can inspire them with Fi, or else set a goal/intention, but usually in executing objectives/tasks, I have to use either Ne or some S. Which is fine with me, Fi sets some lofty ideal/goal, the other functions try to perform the goals.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As far as my memory serves me, I have never reported a single post or poster. It would take something undeniably wrong for me to do so. I don't wish to report someone simply because I find them rude and irritating - I think it is better to leave it to the mods to decide on such things.

This is the wrong approach. From experience, mods don't read everything, and even if they read the same thing you do, if no one complains they are likely to just leave it alone.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My ESTJ husband reminded me of a great truth - Te and Fe decisions ARE always right, unless proven otherwise. He's concise. Yet in that little nugget - so much wisdom. The vantage point provides one with an element of confidence, of surety, that other functions cannot replicate as readily.

Can you elaborate on the above? I don't quite understand :thinking:

Some people think that dancing around what they see as the truth is polishing a turd, so they will come out with it, harsh as it may sound.

I love the above quote :laugh:

FTR, if I still believed in function theory I'd list myself as ENFP still, but I've decided to reject function theory in favor of Keirsey.

But not the one above. :azdaja:

Fe critique very often feels...condemnatory. There is something about Fi...When we externalize Fi we are offering up part of our soul-our self definition-our values (are these one and the same?) because we feel there is value in offering that opinion up because it may help others around us? We are putting ourselves on the line...putting ourselves at risk...as that risk is worth the benefit to the group or the individual in question?

To be roughly rebutted by Fe or rejected without consideration-it feels like our offering was rejected outright-thus our Fi values/soul/self was rejected as flawed-we are thus flawed. To stand up and speak in the first place took a lot of guts, an intense visceral drive that the value was worth standing up for, that a fight was worth fighting. Perhaps there is some weird "boy cried wolf" thing going on for Fi. If I stand up for an Fi idea, it better be one I am damned sure is worth standing up for.

Exactly

So, years pass, experience accumulates, we "grow up". At a certain point in our lives, when enough confidence in our inner process has developed, Fi users generally tend to verbalize what we are "seeing" to others to affirm or refute our hypotheses. We have learned to place limits on what we believe via Fi until we obtain more empirical evidence to back it up, as in the parentheses above. Ne, to explore all possibilities. Si, to plumb the depths of our own history and that of others, throughout time. Te - Te is the "say it out loud" function. Not in the confident position of the first function, to assert "You are wrong" but in the fourth, "This seems wrong to me." We say it like this in order to acknowledge the truth of each individual person, and we await the replies we receive in order to obtain more data to enable us to more deeply analyze the situation and come to fuller, more complete conclusions. We already know from previous experience, reactions will vary. There will be defensiveness, anger, relief, happiness, and in amongst all that, hopefully a whole bunch of truthiness.

Realize too, it takes some maturity to unwind how emotions enter into the equation, different than "feeling tones" - our own emotions, and the emotions of others, and how both of these can play into Fi values. I could have a feeling tone as the underlying factor in an emotion I experience. They are distinct; separate, yet connected - and it too can take time to un-wend these. There is a great deal of interplay. To summarize that, Fi users DON'T expose "truth" with the impulsive innocence of a child, especially beyond a certain age prone to idealistic naivete. We know there are potential global and local ramifications - and in addition, personal repercussions will likely be heading our way.

You know, looking through this thread, there are a lot of references to emotions. To me, Fi seems to be about values, beliefs and being true to ourselves. At the core, it's about what is important and evaluating things against personal convictions that we hold deeply. It's highly judgmental - possibly more judgmental than any other function - and it's not happy unless reality matches its ideal. It's not necessarily nice. With regards to being "whiny and self-absorbed," - sure - at its worst, a preference for Fi can lead towards things like self pity and selfishness. That being said, you could say negative things about other functions. You could say that Te can be controlling and bullying.

Jung said:
"Still waters run deep is very true of introverted feeling types. They are mostly silent, inaccessible, hard to understand. As they are mainly guided by their subjective feeing, their true motives generally remain hidden. Their outward demeanor is harmonious, inconspicuous, giving an impression of pleasing repose with no desire to affect others to impress, influence or to change them in any way. Since this type appears rather cold and reserved, it might seem on a superficial view that they have no feelings at all. But this would be quite wrong. The truth is, their feelings are intensive rather than extensive. They develop in depth."

Because Fi relates to these deeply held personal values and convictions, it naturally is a sensitive area for someone who strongly prefers this function. It goes to the heart of who they are and what they are all about. To expose these things to external criticism makes them vulnerable. Therefore, it seems natural that someone with a strong preference for Fi will hesitate to communicate these things. In this regard, I think if an Fi user is not comfortable talking about Fi, it may have less to do with how others respond towards them and more to do with how they respond towards others.

Of course, I'm not an Fi dom, so maybe there is something I don't understand.

Last edited:

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Doesn't matter, the problem is in the perception.

If you want my opinion though - there are ideas being discussed AND complaining.

They asked why people disagreed. They got it. They saw it as complaining.

What is asking for an answer and then dismissing it? That is like getting the answer to your problems and dismissing those answers because you don't see them as answers. Hiding yourself from "the truth" so to say.

There ARE reasons why people complain.

On one hand I do understand you, I do. On the other hand, there are situations where some NFs don't want to hear the truth or a conflicting point of view, even if in reality it might be to their own benefit.

Same for other types.

G

Glycerine

It goes both ways. I feel like some Fi users dismiss my perspective JUST because they don't see value in some things I perceive differently (I probably do that too). I think many people are threatened by perspectives that are different from their own. I am going to state an absolute. I doubt that anyone in the world feels safe to be completely themselves..... I struggle with that a loe even as a Fe user. In this way, I agree with Arclight and find thread a bit unsettling. Even the "conformist" SJs have that issue (note the sarcasm)......

From my perspective, on a number of occasions, I see Fi users shoot down other Fi users and say stuff like
Fi user 1: With my Fi, I feel/ believe........
Fi user 2: No, that's NOT Fi because that's not how I view things... and those things completely oppose MY values.
Because of this, I find some of these threads to be counterproductive.
I will step out now.