• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NF and NT romance in movies

gretch

MBTI Type
ENFP
Ah! In spirit of my new avatar inspired by the mariage thread I thought I'd take a moment to pay tribut to those movies I've always loved, but didn't know why until I realized they have a great NF-NT relationship.

Pride and Prejudice... Ah Lizzie and Mr. Darcy. I'm going to watch it right now.
Anne of Green Gables- Gil and Anne.
My Fair Lady.

gretch

MBTI Type
ENFP
I meant to say in the last post, but got distracted... that I am not sure if Eliza from My Fair Lady is an idealist, but Higgins is such a rational.

Also, it's not a movie, but in the Twilight books I think Bella is an idealist and Edward is a rational.

I'd love to hear of more books and movies if any of you have some in mind.

chatoyer

MBTI Type
eNfP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Awww....such a great topic! Yes, Mr. Darcy has got to be INT, I'm leaning towards INTJ, & don't you think Elizabeth is ENFJ? They're so great! I just swoon watching that BBC version with Colin Firth.

Yes, and Anne with an "E" is an NF for sure, but Gil an NT? No, he's too outwardly gentle even when teasing her to be an NT. I think they're NF-NF. I do love seeing Anne soften her SJ Marilla, that brings me great joy as you see Marilla so clearly show her sentiment towards her--that Anne annoys her so much, but is lovable nonetheless.

Amelie is definitely an INF, but I think her match is SP or NF, with his childlike imagination & fun spirit.

Many of the interesting characters in I heart Huckabees were INs, but the other types/evil characters were caricatures of evil corporate life that it was a bit too self-conscious & pretentious for me. I don't like when the bad characters are displayed as caricatures, & the protagonists are fully developed. Annoying.

How about the characters in Lost in Translation? They seem NF/NT in their dreaminess & angst, trying to find meaning in life......

Maria in The Sound of Music is definitely an ENFP, she's called an angel, a demon, a pest (she can "outpester any pest"!), a girl when she fails as a nun. But Captain von Trapp I'm not sure, he could be an ISTJ or an INTJ, he's pretty rigid about his rules, seems SJ.

Last edited:

chatoyer

MBTI Type
eNfP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I meant to say in the last post, but got distracted... that I am not sure if Eliza from My Fair Lady is an idealist, but Higgins is such a rational.

Well, I think Audrey Hepburn's own NFness shines through that character, but I think you could make a case for Eliza being NF, as she dreams of another identity and becomes it, the ultimate Pygmalion story. Higgins is adorably stiff & arrogant & uptight, definitely NTJ!

Last edited:

armstrongvk12

MBTI Type
ENxJ
Can you think of any characters where the woman is the NT and the man is the NF? They are both so rare....just wondering.

heart

heart on fire
I am not 100 percent sold that Darcy is T. He could just as easily be an embittered INFJ.

armstrongvk12

MBTI Type
ENxJ
I am not 100 percent sold that Darcy is T. He could just as easily be an embittered INFJ.
Yes, I can see what you are saying. I would imagine it is a toss up between INTJ and INFJ. I'm technically an ENTJ, but I can really identify with Lizzie....but it seems that she is ENFJ?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Can you think of any characters where the woman is the NT and the man is the NF? They are both so rare....just wondering.
It's been too long since I saw Sense and Sensibility, but is the sensible sister an NT?

Also, are the Bridget Jones movies based on Pride and Prejudice?

heart

heart on fire
Yes, I read that Bridget Jones is loosely based on Austen's books.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Wouldn't the sensible sister be an SJ....more down to earth? I'm an NT and sensible doesn't describe me.
I don't know, but the story always puts me in mind of my daughters, an INTJ and an INFP.

armstrongvk12

MBTI Type
ENxJ
Okay....now I just looked this up...and it seems that Jane Austen was an INTJ. Since the protagonist in the story is Jane...what do you think about Lizzie being INTJ and Darcy as embittered INFJ? (Hee! Hee! I think I secretly want the woman to be the NT and the man the NF!)

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Darcy's type

Doesn't he have Fi? He cultivates a friendly attitude with Lizzie's aunt and uncle for her sake, but otherwise he doesn't use Fe much.

Bridget Jones is definitely based on P&P. I love the final scene where she chases him out into the snow in her undies. And her boss (Hugh Grant) was perfect. I adore that movie!

Jae Rae

armstrongvk12

MBTI Type
ENxJ
I don't know, but the story always puts me in mind of my daughters, an INTJ and an INFP.
Isn't it funny you should say this. My theory is that the protagonists of Jane Austen's novels...are NTs because Jane was an INTJ. I seem to identify strongly with them because I am an NT as well. I don't really seem to identify with SJ women....so maybe you are right.

heart

heart on fire
Doesn't he have Fi? He cultivates a friendly attitude with Lizzie's aunt and uncle for her sake, but otherwise he doesn't use Fe much.

He is very worried about his "image" and her linage though. ;) Isn't that also Fe?

Bridget Jones is definitely based on P&P. I love the final scene where she chases him out into the snow in her undies. And her boss (Hugh Grant) was perfect. I adore that movie!

Jae Rae

Yes, I loved that movie and that final scene and Hugh Grant's character making fun of her granny panties too. It was the only chick flick I have ever watched that my husband just couldn't get into though.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Lizzie's sister Jane is not an NT, probably an NF. Her other sisters are SJ, except for Lydia who's an SP.

Jae Rae

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Yes, I loved that movie and that final scene and Hugh Grant's character making fun of her granny panties too. It was the only chick flick I have ever watched that my husband just couldn't get into though.
I loved it. I tend to like things Colin Firth is in. Anyone have ideas about the characters in The Importance of Being Earnest?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

I'm not sure if that happens in a romance movie (or it is a rare one if it does). Generally the woman is an F and the man is a T. On the other hand if you explore other genres I think you can find the female NT and male NF pairing. I believe in Contact you see that pairing with Jody Foster and Matthew McConaughey. In Star Wars I think Anakin is NF, and Padme is NT (too bad the acting wasn't better).

Actually my favorite NF-NT pairing is the platonic one in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles between ENFP John Candy and INTJ Steve Martin. That is comedic gold right there. Meh, what can I say? I'm a male ENTP. I usually find comedic chemistry in movies more interesting than romantic chemistry. :blush:

cafe said:
I loved it. I tend to like things Colin Firth is in. Anyone have ideas about the characters in The Importance of Being Earnest?

I'm not sure I can type characters in this play/movie. In any version I watch of it all of the characters come across as ENTP to me because of Oscar Wilde's witty/silly dialogue.