• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP = sanguine-phlegmatic?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
do you know of a good quiz for this?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I'm not an ENFP, but I think I am sanguine-phlegmatic.. I remember going through the theory (What was it called? I don't remember...) and if I remember right I was sanguine on two of the three areas.

Chloe

i think i turned on test sanguine-melancholic
which they said corresponded the best with ESFJ. lulz

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think ENFPs (and most NFs in general) are all four humors
sanguine: optimistic, energetic, sociable
phlegmatic: chill, relaxed, likes to go at an easygoing pace
melancholic: deep, reflective, artistic, romantic
choleric: passionate, empowered, charismatic

personally, I don't find the 4 humors to be a relevent psychological tool

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This concept is based on these:
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...ts/717-temperament-test-poll-hippocrates.html
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/online-personality-tests/6956-five-temperaments-test.html
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...-temperament-inclusion-control-affection.html
(In order of ascending accuracy; the last one being the best sorter).

It's based on the notion that NF is Phlegmatic (in contrast to Choleric, which Keirsey claimed), and that ENP is Sanguine (Interaction Style).
For one thing, the five temperament version of the theory suggests that NF could also be Supine rather than Phlegmatic (or even a combination of both). So if you think you're not Phlegmatic, that may be why.

Since the first two only rank temperaments by relative "strength", then an INFP, which would be pure Phlegmatic or pure Supine would then see another temperament in second place, which might not fit the type correlation. (It also could be from a third area, called "Affection" as picked out by the last link). Likewise, since those first two only measure strength and not temperament area, then the combo might be reversed (between which is first and second), or the first one might pick out an INFP Supine's high need for people as "extroversion" and they could end up scoring high on Sanguine.

So while not perfect, it does seem the correlation works, one way or another.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This concept is based on these:
or the first one might pick out an INFP Supine's high need for people as "extroversion" and they could end up scoring high on Sanguine.

So while not perfect, it does seem the correlation works, one way or another.

need for people? INFPs need people less than almost any other type. now, I could see an INFJ falling into this trap, but INFPs don't tend to need people very much unless they are enneagram 2

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
need for people? INFPs need people less than almost any other type. now, I could see an INFJ falling into this trap, but INFPs don't tend to need people very much unless they are enneagram 2
Since INFP could be either Phlegmatic OR Supine, the Phlegmatic will not really need people (i.e. will be able to "take them or leave them"), while the Supine will want them more, but not look like they do (because of the introversion).
So this "want" or "need", is more passive, and usually not even expressed. Hence, it comes out more in being "responsive".

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
i agree. however,

INFPs, more than other iNtuitive Feeling types, are focused on making the world a better place for people. Their primary goal is to find out their meaning in life. What is their purpose? How can they best serve humanity in their lives? They are idealists and perfectionists, who drive themselves hard in their quest for achieving the goals they have identified for themselves

INFPs are highly intuitive about people. They rely heavily on their intuitions to guide them, and use their discoveries to constantly search for value in life. They are on a continuous mission to find the truth and meaning underlying things. Every encounter and every piece of knowledge gained gets sifted through the INFP's value system, and is evaluated to see if it has any potential to help the INFP define or refine their own path in life. The goal at the end of the path is always the same - the INFP is driven to help people and make the world a better place.
http://www.personalitypage.com/INFP.html
so, perhaps INFP needs .....people

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
need for people? INFPs need people less than almost any other type.

Not true for me at least. Well, I guess it depends what we mean by "need", but anyhow... It seems that my better traits are all about people, and the people make me focus on this side of myself. I can be alone for long periods, but I dont prefer it.

Actually, now that I checked the pages Eric posted, I think I was supine-phlegmatic.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i agree. however,

INFPs, more than other iNtuitive Feeling types, are focused on making the world a better place for people. Their primary goal is to find out their meaning in life. What is their purpose? How can they best serve humanity in their lives? They are idealists and perfectionists, who drive themselves hard in their quest for achieving the goals they have identified for themselves

INFPs are highly intuitive about people. They rely heavily on their intuitions to guide them, and use their discoveries to constantly search for value in life. They are on a continuous mission to find the truth and meaning underlying things. Every encounter and every piece of knowledge gained gets sifted through the INFP's value system, and is evaluated to see if it has any potential to help the INFP define or refine their own path in life. The goal at the end of the path is always the same - the INFP is driven to help people and make the world a better place.
http://www.personalitypage.com/INFP.html
so, perhaps INFP needs .....people
Yes, that also would fit the Supine. According to the APS definition, they try to fill their need for people by "serving" them. So again, the might not look like the "need" people, but this is one way it comes across (forgot to mention this in the above post).