• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP contradictions

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seems to me like ENFPs have more seeming contradictions about them than any other type
1) outspoken/introverted
2) artistic/rational
3) silly/business like
4) likes to talk/likes to listen
5) self centered/enjoys encouraging people
6) wild and crazy/calm and collected
7) emotionally stable/dramatic
8) enjoys deep conversation/hedonistic
9) charismatic and charming/socially clueless
10) likes to be the center of attention/doesn't like to fit in
11) good at pinpointing other's emotions/likes to offend and shock people
12) idealistic/practical (or at least, aware of what is practical)

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
7 is a false dichotomy. Otherwise completely agreed. Ne, Fi and Te all mashed up together makes for a somewhat fucked in the head combination...

Chloe

Split nature because ENFP has this obsession with being true to self and tue to world. Unlike infp who values inner piece above all else, this way we have pull twds both sides : which, except for insatbility, can create huge independence and creativity.

I get heard a lot "but you said the opposite..." but i really didnt it just sounds opposite... there are so many nuances

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
well. there's a time for everything :)

i think aleksei's onto it with false dichotomies... all of these are false dichotomies...

it's not contradictory to be quiet and outspoken because i speak up when i feel like it really matters, but i don't like to impose otherwise. there is rationality underlying all the systems of art (molecules, the light spectrum of colors, mathematical underpinning of music scales, breakdown of linguistic morphemes), and there is art/creation/chaos within all rational systems. one can be businesslike when there's an important matter to attend to that needs efficiency and streamlining, and one can be silly when it makes oneself and others happy. you should always both talk and listen, preferably a healthy balance of both. one can't help others without hurting oneself if one doesn't attend to one's own mental health, and sometimes being calm is better to deal with things or to relax and sometimes partying is better because it's fun. i try to understand my emotions, which means i'm usually at one with them and can influence them, but sometimes they get the better of me.

deep conversation is important because it deals with the big, important philosophies of life but hedonism is good too because there's no sense in not enjoying ourselves at least sometimes. i'm socially clueless because i'm individual-focused, but apparently that's why people like me - i'll give each person all i've got. i like to be the center of attention because i like who i am and like to share that, but i don't want to sacrifice my self to get attention. i'm good at understanding people but i like to shock them when they're being hardheaded idiots and hurting people in the process - shocking shakes things up. hidden pains can surface and be healed and the harmful aspects of the status quo can be discarded. idealism is useless if you don't eventually put it into action but acting practically can be ultimately harmful unless you have a good reason for doing what you're doing.

none of those, to me, contradict :shrug:

aware of what is practical
:laugh: good distinction

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I would say that to the outside/casual observer, it may appear that N doms (i.e., ENFPs, INFJs, INTJs, and ENTPs) are filled with contradictions. In my mind this is due to Ne and Ni, and all the possibilities these mental functions see. They see all the permutations in any given situation. Thus, what might seem like a logical, sequential thought process to their Ne or Ni that can see the way a certain set of concepts are all connected, others cannot see from their observer perspective.

Take for examples ENFPs and their job histories. Most ENFPs I know have what on the surface may seem like a disjointed resume. The PersonalityPage.com even discussed this in it's ENFP profile:

ENFPs have an unusually broad range of skills and talents. They are good at most things which interest them. Project-oriented, they may go through several different careers during their lifetime. To onlookers, the ENFP may seem directionless and without purpose, but ENFPs are actually quite consistent, in that they have a strong sense of values which they live with throughout their lives. Everything that they do must be in line with their values. An ENFP needs to feel that they are living their lives as their true Self, walking in step with what they believe is right. They see meaning in everything, and are on a continuous quest to adapt their lives and values to achieve inner peace.

• So INFJs can be very J and stick to their plans (Je), and yet are usually (I've found) very open to change and new ideas (Ni).
  • INTJs can seem very cold and stern on the outside (Te), but are (I've found) big teddy bears on the inside just waiting to come out (Fi).
  • ENTPs can present as very friendly and outgoing (Fe), but can get very cold and aloof when they are in logical analysis mode (Ti).

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
ENFPs do suffer from the Grass is Greener Syndrome, so perhaps we want to be logical, but then we want to be emotional, we want to be businessminded but we want to have fun. We want everything, and we're pretty good at achieving it.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess an important distinction I failed to make was "seeming" contradictions. they're not contradictory to me, but to others they may appear that way

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I share pretty much all of the dichotomies myself and an E/INFP and I find them all perfectly nature (NFPs don't usually feel the need to choose between one or the other when they can have both. we like to have everything)