User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: ENFP Mortician?

MBTI
    INFJ

Default ENFP Mortician?

I just thought I would throw this out there since it is such an interesting topic. My best friend (very unmotivated) finally decided to take a grip on her life and decide her future at the age of 20. She has been out of school since she was 18 and has only recently been hired for a job at a camera store.

She decided that she wanted to start thinking about a serious job for her future and I got really excited. To my dismay she presented me with a brochure to a school for training morticians. She sees this as her career for life. (She had always been very grim; she loves looking at real gore and dead bodies, etc.)

I will support her in any decision that she makes, but I was just wondering what others think about an ENFP spending her life preparing dead bodies for funerals? I know that any type can take on any job. But would a quintessential ENFP be able to tolerate this kind of job?

I would get into my opinion, but I don't want to influence people's posts. I'll just say that I think it would inhibit her ability to creatively adapt to and solve problems, which she is very good at. Unless you count strategically gluing a dead bodies eyes shut as creative adaption...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    I will support her in any decision that she makes, but I was just wondering what others think about an ENFP spending her life preparing dead bodies for funerals? I know that any type can take on any job. But would a quintessential ENFP be able to tolerate this kind of job?
    That's awesome. It's probably grimly comedic pretty often.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

She could try working as a coroner instead? Since that profession involves problem solving and a certain amount of creativity....while also allowing her to work with the dead and get into all the guts and bits to find out what happened.

But then she may find the concept of being in charge of embalming and practising funeral rights as a particularly powerful calling.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

That's just hot. Wish I had the stomach for it.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ

She has no motivation to pursue a 4-year degree plan, so coroner is out of the question. I already asked if he would like to take it a step up and be a coroner and she told me no, that she didn't want to go to school.

I wonder if she realizes that dead bodies don't talk back. She can't even stand being alone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Morticians make decent money AFAIK, and if she doesn't have to get a four year degree for it, then it won't be a big deal if she ends up hating it. Thanks to the Baby Boomers, death services is going to be a growth industry. I wouldn't discourage her. She really has very little to lose by trying it and even if she doesn't end up doing it forever, it might help her refine her search.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ

I would never discourage her, or anyone for that matter, from pursuing what she wants. It'll probably take her about another year of staring at the brochure to actually start anyways. She'll always be in demand since people will always die. What bothers me more is how she has lots of potential but chooses to take the easy way out. I know there is a distinct difference between us personality wise when it comes to this, but she went from wanting to be a teacher to wanting to go to cosmetic school to wanting to go to mortician school. The reason she chose cosmetics over teacher was because it takes less school, and now she is choosing mortician because it's even less school. "The easy way out". Oh well, now that I have this out of my system I can work on making her actually go.

I should also mention that she lives with her stepfather, but only her mom claims her on her taxes. Her mom is on disability, so she could rake in SO much money for college from the FAFSA. I'm just frustrated with her choice to not dream big and take advantage of her opportunities when she has resources at her disposal that I never had.

Anyways, this is less about how I feel and more about me worrying if she could be happy there or not. If she can then I could want nothing more for her, but I just have a feeling that she wont. I know her best after all. But as I said, I would never bring this up with her. I can't make the decision for her.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    INTJ

Everyone has a role. Going to college doesn't make you better than not going (besides the obvious gained intel).
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

One of my best friends is an ENFP. She has a BA in Christian Ed, an MA in curriculum development, along with a teacher's license and is part way through a AS in web development. I don't think she's made money from any of them yet. I think she'll find her niche pretty soon. Right now she's working on launching her daughter's music career. It seems like the Ne/Fi combo can make it pretty hard to settle on something. Plus they're so dang good at so many things and love to learn.
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    [IMG]

That's just hot. Wish I had the stomach for it.
    Abby I love her character in that show, tho she's a forensics scientist and a lab tech.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.