• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP Mortician?

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I just thought I would throw this out there since it is such an interesting topic. My best friend (very unmotivated) finally decided to take a grip on her life and decide her future at the age of 20. She has been out of school since she was 18 and has only recently been hired for a job at a camera store.

She decided that she wanted to start thinking about a serious job for her future and I got really excited. To my dismay she presented me with a brochure to a school for training morticians. She sees this as her career for life. (She had always been very grim; she loves looking at real gore and dead bodies, etc.)

I will support her in any decision that she makes, but I was just wondering what others think about an ENFP spending her life preparing dead bodies for funerals? I know that any type can take on any job. But would a quintessential ENFP be able to tolerate this kind of job?

I would get into my opinion, but I don't want to influence people's posts. I'll just say that I think it would inhibit her ability to creatively adapt to and solve problems, which she is very good at. Unless you count strategically gluing a dead bodies eyes shut as creative adaption... ;)

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I will support her in any decision that she makes, but I was just wondering what others think about an ENFP spending her life preparing dead bodies for funerals? I know that any type can take on any job. But would a quintessential ENFP be able to tolerate this kind of job?

That's awesome. It's probably grimly comedic pretty often.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
She could try working as a coroner instead? Since that profession involves problem solving and a certain amount of creativity....while also allowing her to work with the dead and get into all the guts and bits to find out what happened.

But then she may find the concept of being in charge of embalming and practising funeral rights as a particularly powerful calling.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
0000034909_20061021034308.jpg

That's just hot. Wish I had the stomach for it.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
She has no motivation to pursue a 4-year degree plan, so coroner is out of the question. I already asked if he would like to take it a step up and be a coroner and she told me no, that she didn't want to go to school.

I wonder if she realizes that dead bodies don't talk back. She can't even stand being alone.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Morticians make decent money AFAIK, and if she doesn't have to get a four year degree for it, then it won't be a big deal if she ends up hating it. Thanks to the Baby Boomers, death services is going to be a growth industry. I wouldn't discourage her. She really has very little to lose by trying it and even if she doesn't end up doing it forever, it might help her refine her search.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I would never discourage her, or anyone for that matter, from pursuing what she wants. It'll probably take her about another year of staring at the brochure to actually start anyways. She'll always be in demand since people will always die. What bothers me more is how she has lots of potential but chooses to take the easy way out. I know there is a distinct difference between us personality wise when it comes to this, but she went from wanting to be a teacher to wanting to go to cosmetic school to wanting to go to mortician school. The reason she chose cosmetics over teacher was because it takes less school, and now she is choosing mortician because it's even less school. "The easy way out". Oh well, now that I have this out of my system I can work on making her actually go.

I should also mention that she lives with her stepfather, but only her mom claims her on her taxes. Her mom is on disability, so she could rake in SO much money for college from the FAFSA. I'm just frustrated with her choice to not dream big and take advantage of her opportunities when she has resources at her disposal that I never had.

Anyways, this is less about how I feel and more about me worrying if she could be happy there or not. If she can then I could want nothing more for her, but I just have a feeling that she wont. I know her best after all. But as I said, I would never bring this up with her. I can't make the decision for her.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Everyone has a role. Going to college doesn't make you better than not going (besides the obvious gained intel).

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
One of my best friends is an ENFP. She has a BA in Christian Ed, an MA in curriculum development, along with a teacher's license and is part way through a AS in web development. I don't think she's made money from any of them yet. I think she'll find her niche pretty soon. Right now she's working on launching her daughter's music career. It seems like the Ne/Fi combo can make it pretty hard to settle on something. Plus they're so dang good at so many things and love to learn.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%

That's just hot. Wish I had the stomach for it.[/QUOTE]

Abby :D I love her character in that show, tho she's a forensics scientist and a lab tech.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
One of my best friends is an ENFP. She has a BA in Christian Ed, an MA in curriculum development, along with a teacher's license and is part way through a AS in web development. I don't think she's made money from any of them yet. I think she'll find her niche pretty soon. Right now she's working on launching her daughter's music career. It seems like the Ne/Fi combo can make it pretty hard to settle on something. Plus they're so dang good at so many things and love to learn.

Yes! My best friend is also SO good at so many things (but she complains she isn't haha ;)). I don't worry about how much money she'll be making, because to me money is not important to happiness (though having enough to pay the bills is important). I just worry about her happiness. I don't think college would necessarily make her happier, but it holds a plethora of opportunities. She shares with me her dreams but she doesn't try and chase after them. To me it seems she always ends up settling for less than what she hoped for but it doesn't seem to come across to her like that.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
Well, 20 is still young, and better to do something than nothing. I think I could work as a mortician, but would perhaps find it a bit unsatisfying after a while I guess, unless I had exciting hobbies and could follow intellectual pursuits when not at work. Remember also that the job is much more than "beautician for corpses". Morticians speak to a lot of people, console and comfort family, advertise their service, speak with clergy etc, and an ENFP would be well equipped for many of these tasks. She probably won't stick with it for the rest of her life, but it's a good place to start, it is doing something instead of nothing, the pay is good, and it'll be a cool thing to tell grandchildren, put on the CV etc. She'll also get many great stories and develop a very hilarious/macabre humor.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Well, I spoke to her about working for a funeral home, but she seemed to not want to have anything to do with the people. She said that would be depressing, being around a bunch of people that had lost someone. I think she just wants to do the cadaver thing.

Now that I truly think about it, it wouldn't be unlike her to work on corpses for a year just so she could spend the rest of her life saying "I used to be a mortician". :blink: She loves to have brag rights...

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
Well, I spoke to her about working for a funeral home, but she seemed to not want to have anything to do with the people. She said that would be depressing, being around a bunch of people that had lost someone. I think she just wants to do the cadaver thing.

Now that I truly think about it, it wouldn't be unlike her to work on corpses for a year just so she could spend the rest of her life saying "I used to be a mortician". :blink: She loves to have brag rights...

Oh. That surprises me a bit. Still, yes, she'll be able to brag about it, and she's got plenty of time to find her true calling in life, so as long as she keeps doing something it's all good. (I'm guessing she'll eventually end up in academia when she grows up a bit more, shakes her rebellious tendencies and trusts herself more, but no need to rush it before she's ready. Besides, an ENFP might never take higher education and still live a fulfilling life as long as they get to do the things they're good at.)

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Her boyfriend is little more motivated than her (ISTJ) and plans on attending college eventually, and I don't doubt that he will. Maybe she'll follow his lead. Other than that I won't hold my breath hoping she'll go.