• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Do INFPs have an incessant need to please others?

MyCupOfTea

MBTI Type
INxP
Pleasing? INFP? :shrug:

I want to be kind and try not to step on anyone's toes but my motivation is not to please others. It's more like "live and let live" attitude, as long as others respect me the same. Hmmm. Maybe that outwardly looks like pleasing but there's a significant difference.

Starrynight5

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'll echo others like MyCupofTea. I don't live to please others. I may try to do so to a point but only if it fits with my schedule, my values, and my tolerance of others. ;)

nekozuki

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think when I was younger I used to try to please everyone. I've gotten cynical in my old age. ;) I like people to approve of me, but I don't go out of my way to please others. /shrug I guess I have learned over the years that pleasing everyone is impossible, so I try to focus on myself more now while still maintaining harmony with others as much as possible.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dude no. That's pretty much every other NF type but INFP.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I've always struggled more with getting out of my own head and focusing on others rather than obsessing over my own thoughts, dreams, and woes. However, a great part of me just wants to be loved and accepted. The thought of being on someone's bad side makes me really uncomfortable. If I people-please, it's to avoid the conflict that comes with contempt. I just want to love people and be kind to them. I'm not going to change myself in order to change the world--we change the world by being ourselves and developing our inner strengths.

I also have the 3 wing need to be admired and valuable, and the social dominant instinct that makes me aware of how I'm affecting others, group dynamics, etc. Those two combined can make me seem like more of a people-pleaser or even a Fe type.

As an aside, I think that when many people imagine type 4, they're thinking of the 4w5 sx. A 3 wing and social instinct adds a softer and more open flair to the 4.