• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Te] How does Te manifest in FPs?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've always had trouble understanding this.

ExFPs: Become very action oriented, and can have a surprisingly organized skeletal structure underneath the surface-level mayhem. However, can be inconsistent (or even resentful) in using said organized skeletal structure. They can throw themselves into organizing everything, creating spreadsheets, etc. Can look a bit like ExTJs. They often love debate, but tend to be very passionate and often personally invested when engaging in it. Experimental with situations, activities, or people.

IxFPs: Embrace Te often in the grips of an inferior "all-or-nothing" manner. It can take the form of a Te sledgehammer when dealing with people, where all the warmth and sensitivity suddenly disappear. Or they finally buckle down and methodically get things done. Can often reflect on the rules and reasonings underlying the personal meaning of various things.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Meh, I still think my answer is better....

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Orobas has written about ENFPs having a baby ESTJ inside them and it's true! I would never have thought, but in particular situations, it comes out.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
ExFPs: Become very action oriented, and can have a surprisingly organized skeletal structure underneath the surface-level mayhem. However, can be inconsistent (or even resentful) in using said organized skeletal structure. They can throw themselves into organizing everything, creating spreadsheets, etc. Can look a bit like ExTJs. They often love debate, but tend to be very passionate and often personally invested when engaging in it. Experimental with situations, activities, or people.

IxFPs: Embrace Te often in the grips of an inferior "all-or-nothing" manner. It can take the form of a Te sledgehammer when dealing with people, where all the warmth and sensitivity suddenly disappear. Or they finally buckle down and methodically get things done. Can often reflect on the rules and reasonings underlying the personal meaning of various things.

Oh yeah, ESFPs are known to be sort of 'party planners' aren't they?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wrote this for another board...

In INFPs, Extroverted Thinking, the inferior process, mainly aids Fi & is turned to when Ne fails to see an adequate way to express Fi or to act in the external world; it requires a lot of energy & tends to be last resort, making it appear most when stressed. Te logic is used to support Feeling values, to establish their relevancy in the real world (outside of the imagined ideal in the Fi-dom's head), & to organize thoughts in a manner comprehensible to others. It can also help the INFP judge Ne ideas as too removed from factual reality, as Fi may latch onto these ideas if they are close to a feeling value. Inferior Te use makes the INFP in danger of discarding facts that do not support Fi values, or blowing them out of proportion when they support a feeling. It can also show up negatively when an INFP deems something important, then this cause must be handled "perfectly" and then Te is trotted out to determine how to do things "correctly". This can result in being very critical and exacting, but often it is turned inward, and the INFP sees themselves as falling short moreso than other people or the situation.

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
Orobas has written about ENFPs having a baby ESTJ inside them and it's true! I would never have thought, but in particular situations, it comes out.

I either turn into an ESTJ (I consider this a good, action oriented day) or an ENTJ (nitpicky braying jackass day)- by saying that I don't mean ENTJs are jackasses, I mean that's what that particular shadow turns into on me, personally.

This is very accurate.

But so is this. :D

Last edited:

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I get angry at people for being incompetent, whiny, annoying, stupid, irrational... When Fi is angry and Ne is shut down and Si is overwhelmed, I reach out with my Te and bite who ever's pissing me off.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I had never thought of Te with ENFPs before coming here, but I discovered that what I react to most especially in ENFPs under stress is their Te-ish side breaking out to problem solve. It feels bossy and overprescriptive and presumptuous to me as a Ti user. However, at it's best, it makes them concise writers, and makes them very productive and get-'er-done-ish. I think their combo of functions is what makes INTJs find their silliness charming. There's still Te, but it's tempered with Ne and Fi as well.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think usually it's actually most like a hurricane - deadly strong winds (Te) pushing a rain storm (Fi).

XYZ

MBTI Type
GOAT
Enneagram
DUNO
Te is an external dynamics function based on systemic structure (objective, logic based decison-making) - it's used to articulate (has a flat monotone), actively listen (clearing of emotion on face) and apply logical structure to the outside world.

For an ETJ it is their sense of identity but for others it serves the dominant cognitive function first and foremost as well as other functions above it depending on it's placing in the hierarchy.

The lower it's placing in the hierarchy the greater the energy cost is in using it.

Onceajoan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
ExFPs: IxFPs: Embrace Te often in the grips of an inferior "all-or-nothing" manner. It can take the form of a Te sledgehammer when dealing with people, where all the warmth and sensitivity suddenly disappear. Or they finally buckle down and methodically get things done. Can often reflect on the rules and reasonings underlying the personal meaning of various things.

I agree with this based on my experience with an INFP. The transformation is a bit shocking and scary. Almost Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. Whereas I used to take the behavior a bit personally, now I understand he's in thinking mode which is serious and as Udog put it, "buckle down" mode. I suppose it's the only way INFPs can do this is by being extremely focused and serious else the personal considerations would get in the way. Almost robotic like and artificial based on my observations. It's a very quick transition though which is fascinating to observe.

I wonder if it would differ based on Enneagram type though. INFP 5w4s already have the conflict with thought and feeling doing battle. I imagine it would be different for a Nine.

I get angry at people for being incompetent, whiny, annoying, stupid, irrational... When Fi is angry and Ne is shut down and Si is overwhelmed, I reach out with my Te and bite who ever's pissing me off.

Hmmmm. That's an interesting take on it. Somebody also said something about the shadow side which probably has something to do with this behavior.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Te is a function that seems to have a few faces to me. It can be the verbal "man that's just stupid" or the "oh fuck I gotta get this shit done" action based function. The former is always around with me, though I like to put things in a soft way. I can express my opinions without being offensive, that includes situations where I just can't see how a certain position is justified. The latter however, only comes about as a fear function. lol The lack of Te in that form is a major cause of my problems and hence only an outurst of Te can fix it. In other words....

"Eh I'll just do it tomorrow, I can afford to relax right now"

(Tomorrow comes)

"It's not so bad, I still have time"

(a week later)

"HOLY FUCK I'M SCREWED! OK, I'll start by reading this, then I'll write summaries every chapter, after 10 chapters I'll do an argument tree..."

You get the picture.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I agree with this based on my experience with an INFP. The transformation is a bit shocking and scary. Almost Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. Whereas I used to take the behavior a bit personally, now I understand he's in thinking mode which is serious and as Udog put it, "buckle down" mode. I suppose it's the only way INFPs can do this is by being extremely focused and serious else the personal considerations would get in the way. Almost robotic like and artificial based on my observations. It's a very quick transition though which is fascinating to observe.

yeahhh. i'm sure i'm this way. it kind of backfires, too, because finally you're objective and yet other people just see your storm and fury. maybe i'm a little different because i'm ENFP but for me it's a matter of prioritizing - at a certain point it becomes more important to get one thing done than to tend to lots of other little things, or to tend to people's feelings. but it's funny, because sometimes the whole point of the Te rage is to protect another person. actually it usually is.

that, and this:
e "oh fuck I gotta get this shit done" action based function.

used in small amounts it's excellent. but when it's driven by Fi i'm sure it's kind of terrifying. i've heard myself described as a firestorm... haha...

marmalade.sunshine said:
deadly strong winds (Te) pushing a rain storm (Fi)

or that.