User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 91

  1. #31
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    :it also doesn't feel like identity attack to me as much as "hey, are you really sure that makes sense?" i feel like some people have very peculiar external standards that they seem to enforce without really knowing why. they see it as the best way, because it's effective in some way, but haven't really questioned its grounds. this is especially relevant for a Ne dom/aux because we see so many different options.
    Also, you're right re. this. There ARE many different external options -- so in a sense, the external is pretty arbitrary. We just happen to have put thought into why we have chosen one of these ways over another. (usually there's a lot of reason behind it, but you're right, sometimes there's not much at all and it's just habit and there's a much better way)

    Flip this around. You can say the same thing about internal things/values - there are 'many different internal options'. So they too are arbitrary, in much the same sense you might view external behaviors being arbitrary. But again, doesn't mean a lot of thought isn't put into the why behind why you've chosen one internal 'way' of viewing things. It's just that the J's are going to concentrate efforts on honing external things and making that precise/solid, and P's are going to focus efforts on internal solidity.

    (urg... I'm kinda making this up as I go so I'm sure it isn't entirely accurate)

    Basically it's just two sides of the same coin (well, sort of ) -- and thank heavens everyone isn't solely internally perceiving without any external judgment, or solely internal judging without any external perceiving. And... it's why J's and P's can learn & gain from one another.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  2. #32
    Iron Maiden fidelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Posts
    11,087

    Default

    This has been a very interesting and valuable thread to me. Thank you Orobas, EW and skylights in particular for your contributions.

    Because Ti is big on accuracy and only speaks about things it is totally sure about, it is irksome to hear someone state something in absolute terms and then flip flop and still think they're right. What I didn't realize is that whether it's ENFP style Te or Te dom Te, they are actually much more open to restructuring information or an idea than I am. Kind of like putting puzzle pieces right into the spot before deciding whether they should remain because they fit, or something else is better. Ti users would instead examine the colours, the bumps and indents on the puzzle piece, compared with the prospective home for it and reject it much sooner if it didn't work because they are less likely to change it once it is actually in place.

    This was (and to some extent continues to be) news to me that Te users don't really believe half of what they say as dogmatically as they express it, so it doesn't seem like they are either inaccurate or bossy. They give their listener the credit of evaluating and contributing to the stated idea or theory. To a Ti user, we tend to make sure we trust the source of the idea first, but then are more likely to accept what they say without as rigorous of verbal sparring. Therefore, if I listen to a documentary on dinosaurs from a reputable source, I will assume that I can relax and assimilate the information being given because it is reliable. Otherwise, I would not waste my time on it. I think this is part of what makes me seem kind of inflexible to some people - if I can tell what something is not, I don't want to see what it would look like in my internal system.

    This is also why you find Ti users often quantifying everything, which some Te users find wordy and annoying. They assume that they will evaluate the ideas that are stated. We assume that if they trust us, they may not as rigorously and we want to distribute accurate information.

    I think I find Te from Te doms less frustrating because I am expecting it. ENFPs can seem kind of easy-going and loosy-goosey at first glance and then they come along with the Te hammer and it makes me bristle! They seem like they are sure of what is true and what is best, and are telling me what to do, at the same time as being all flip-floppy themselves. It makes me not trust them as a reliable source of information.

    While NFs don't generally ignore people as a defense, I do think that Fe has a tendancy to politely ignore if it deems the situation not condusive to iniate conflict in. When the ENFP metaphorically follows us into the next room telling us what to do, Fe users tend to get less diplomatic and if pushed further, extremely blunt and direct. This surprises and hurts the ENFP who doesn't realize what it is that we are reacting to and who only had the best of intentions. It feels like we are being needlessly aggressive and vicious when they were only defending themselves or trying to help.

    I'm not really stating this in the right terms as I'm still processing some of it. I'd like to say though that all three of you ladies have during your time on the forum been enormously helpful in me better understanding and communicating with NFP Fi users/ENFPs. I still think I'd tend to mess up in real time, but at least theoretically I understand now where the snags are occurring and how to better address them.

  3. #33
    Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    950

    Default

    Awwwwwwww Fidelia! I've been practically hopping around my house after reading your post. It makes me so happy to think that a real glimmer of understanding has been achieved by a group of people on this forum who are separated by geography, experience, and cognitive function hierarchies. I don't even know your real name, but I do know that if you were here, I'd give you a huge hug and I'd tell you that this thread has helped me understand how what I do is received by others. And, it will allow me to better tailor my approach.

    ENFP with kick*ss Te | 7w8 so | ♀

  4. #34
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    This has been a very interesting and valuable thread to me. Thank you Orobas, EW and skylights in particular for your contributions.

    Because Ti is big on accuracy and only speaks about things it is totally sure about, it is irksome to hear someone state something in absolute terms and then flip flop and still think they're right. What I didn't realize is that whether it's ENFP style Te or Te dom Te, they are actually much more open to restructuring information or an idea than I am. Kind of like putting puzzle pieces right into the spot before deciding whether they should remain because they fit, or something else is better. Ti users would instead examine the colours, the bumps and indents on the puzzle piece, compared with the prospective home for it and reject it much sooner if it didn't work because they are less likely to change it once it is actually in place.

    This was (and to some extent continues to be) news to me that Te users don't really believe half of what they say as dogmatically as they express it, so it doesn't seem like they are either inaccurate or bossy. They give their listener the credit of evaluating and contributing to the stated idea or theory. To a Ti user, we tend to make sure we trust the source of the idea first, but then are more likely to accept what they say without as rigorous of verbal sparring. Therefore, if I listen to a documentary on dinosaurs from a reputable source, I will assume that I can relax and assimilate the information being given because it is reliable. Otherwise, I would not waste my time on it. I think this is part of what makes me seem kind of inflexible to some people - if I can tell what something is not, I don't want to see what it would look like in my internal system.

    This is also why you find Ti users often quantifying everything, which some Te users find wordy and annoying. They assume that they will evaluate the ideas that are stated. We assume that if they trust us, they may not as rigorously and we want to distribute accurate information.
    I cant help but wonder if the I replaced Ti with Fi, if I could identify the reverse pattern in some way... For instance I would want to make sure I trust the Fi honesty/integrity of the other person first, before I allow myself to be open to their feedback on my Fi values or feelings. I need to sort of scope them out first as being "Fi knowledgable"? I dunno... Once I know they can be trusted, then I can relax and open myself up to their feedback on my Fi value judgments. Once inside the circle, once trusted, they can hurt me very much with their judgments.

    My entp at lunch told me how her husband and her mom-both ISTJs-also think it is very funny when their tiny kids say weird things that are factually/logically incorrect, rather than correct them, they tell them something funny or just laugh at the little kid. . She said you might "ruin the little kid for life and make him stupider". She said you are making a joke of the little kid. This very much took me by surprise. It confuses me-as I would never make fun of another person's feelings-but if they say stupid ideas, I would think they were rather funny and laugh. I would be a terrible ENTP mom it seems.

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I think I find Te from Te doms less frustrating because I am expecting it. ENFPs can seem kind of easy-going and loosy-goosey at first glance and then they come along with the Te hammer and it makes me bristle! They seem like they are sure of what is true and what is best, and are telling me what to do, at the same time as being all flip-floppy themselves. It makes me not trust them as a reliable source of information.
    .
    This is excellent feedback. Thanks!!

  5. #35
    Iron Maiden fidelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Posts
    11,087

    Default

    When you see Fe/Ti users not engaging as much, often it is a sign that there is some snag that you've hit. If you continue speaking to them and they seem a little bit edgy, this is a good place to go back and mentally try to figure out where the snag occurred. If given some space, they may re-evaluate and extract the useful parts from your conversation and give you the benefit of the doubt. They may also be willing to just let it drop as is. If you persist though, particularly if your input was not invited in the first place and seems directly critical of them or those close to them, you will push them into getting increasingly direct and blunt, much as cafe did in that INFJ thread. Then when you request honesty, they'll give it to you, but in a form that feels rather hurtful to you even though it's not intended that way. It is a defensive reaction when it feels like you are on the offensive and are not taking what they believe are clear signals that there is deep danger ahead. (Remember, their ideas ARE them just as your values ARE you and have been deeply thought out. Group dynamics are also important to them - if you disregard the hassle you are creating for them in compensating for the ripples you bring, they will feel resentful and put upon.)

    Don't know if any of that is helpful, but maybe it articulates some things.

    What about for you? It appears to me that Te especially comes out as a defensive reaction for you, but because it appears strong, it may not be interpreted as you just acting in self-defense or trying to solve a difficult situation. How can we avoid these kind of clashes happening? For me, I need space at the first hint of danger and staying on the doorstep until you have been invited in. What is it for you? What sparks those kinds of reactions for you?

    I'm actually really glad that the couple of threads where there were conflicts did happen because they serve as useful examples to reference and figure out. For me, my reaction happened because it felt like the way the OP had been framed was not only being ignored, but a Te solution was being offered (with increasing force) when there had been no request for it. For you, did it feel as if there was a solution in sight but that we were not willing to look at the issue from both sides and try to understand each other? I think maybe that's how umlauu saw it as a Fi onlooker.

    It's only been this year that I've really started thinking about how similarly Fe and Te operate as well as Fi and Ti. It's also been interesting to realize that functions are interactive with each other, so it is not enough to look at Fe or Fi individually, but rather what it acts in conjunction with.

  6. #36
    Iron Maiden fidelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Posts
    11,087

    Default

    Oh! One other thing I thought of - with Ne constantly updating new models, sometimes I've heard others express this and I've occasionally thought it myself: it seems at times like the ENFP is wasting our time with a bunch of theories or ideas that they haven't taken the time to do the homework on. It would be like indiscriminately handing us all kinds of puzzle pieces, willy-nilly saying enthusiastically, "Hey! This one. This one will work for sure! I know it!" when it's obvious that it's not the right shape or the colours are wrong etc. I think to myself, "Did you even think about this before saying it. And NOW you want me to take the course of action you reccommend even though you clearly keep changing all the time yourself?

    I believe the same issue is at play when ENFPs change their plans often. They really, really do mean it at the time when they say something, but then everything changes again and they have to reacquaint themselves with the new reality. For an INFJ who doesn't enjoy emotional surprises especially, but also takes adjustment time when changing plans and so on, it can be hard to deal with.

    I assume this is a Te-Ti issue in combination with the jumping aroundness of Ne. On the other side of the spectrum, you guys consider many things I never would and I sometimes tend to over-eliminate. It allows you to be more open and innovative as well as accept change and new ideas in a group without needing the same kind of mental adjustment time.

    I think you're onto something with the Ti-Fi thing, Orobas. This is one of the reasons why we actually do believe it's HARMFUL to put false information out there. If it comes from a trusted source, it has power to damage, just as an indisciminate person given access to a Fi users innermost feelings could wreak havoc.

    My entp at lunch told me how her husband and her mom-both ISTJs-also think it is very funny when their tiny kids say weird things that are factually/logically incorrect, rather than correct them, they tell them something funny or just laugh at the little kid. She said you might "ruin the little kid for life and make him stupider". She said you are making a joke of the little kid. This very much took me by surprise. It confuses me-as I would never make fun of another person's feelings-but if they say stupid ideas, I would think they were rather funny and laugh. I would be a terrible ENTP mom it seems.
    I completely identify with her. I would way rather have my feelings made fun of than my thoughts. I would feel horrifically rejected and embarrassed if someone were to respond with laughter to my thoughts, even though I wouldn't as much if they got a kick out of how mad I was about something etc. Even as an adult with more perspective, I would find this really hard to deal with. I remember when I was about six talking at the table with my parents about what year it was in the Chinese calendar as our friends were Chinese. I said that it was "the year of the pony" and I remember being absolutely mortified when my parents looked amused and corrected me. They weren't even mean about it, but I still remember the complete embarrassment and sadness I felt. That's been a huge thing as I've gotten older in learning to separate myself more from people's reactions, realizing that they are not trying to make me feel badly. Music I like, people I like, pursuits I enjoy - they are all extensions of me and so rejection/mocking of them is felt as rejection/mocking of me.

    I guess this is another example of the Fi-Ti dichotomy. It also explains why the NFPs would get wound up by Sim every time, even though he consistently would manipulate the situation in the same way and then call them whiny, butthurt etc. They were reacting to his laughing at their feelings (and by extension, rejection of their values and essence of who they were) just as we would to someone mocking our thoughts and ideas that had been painstakingly developed.

  7. #37
    Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    When you see Fe/Ti users not engaging as much, often it is a sign that there is some snag that you've hit. If you continue speaking to them and they seem a little bit edgy, this is a good place to go back and mentally try to figure out where the snag occurred. If given some space, they may re-evaluate and extract the useful parts from your conversation and give you the benefit of the doubt. They may also be willing to just let it drop as is. If you persist though, particularly if your input was not invited in the first place and seems directly critical of them or those close to them, you will push them into getting increasingly direct and blunt, much as cafe did in that INFJ thread. Then when you request honesty, they'll give it to you, but in a form that feels rather hurtful to you even though it's not intended that way. It is a defensive reaction when it feels like you are on the offensive and are not taking what they believe are clear signals that there is deep danger ahead. (Remember, their ideas ARE them just as your values ARE you and have been deeply thought out. Group dynamics are also important to them - if you disregard the hassle you are creating for them in compensating for the ripples you bring, they will feel resentful and put upon.)
    Oh I know I've gone down this perilous path a few times. I think you did a great job of explaining the dynamic here. And, it also gives me road map for how to better handle such situations in the future. (Yeah, I really have been pretty bad about doing this. ) Looking back on things, I can't believe how much I didn't understand what the Fe/Ti user was doing. I'm pretty good at reading people, but this dynamic completely went under my radar. <Insert self-directed ugh here.>

    So Fidelia, after giving the other person some space, I often want to then hash out what happened so I can better understand it and be a better friend in the future. My guess is that this wouldn't necessarily sit well with most Fe/Ti users. Am I right? How would you suggest approaching an Fe/Ti user who was in avoid mode? I want to respect other people's boundaries, but gosh darn it, sometimes Fe avoid mode needs to be bypassed to get things done. (Boy is that a Te driven statement, but it's true nonetheless.)

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    What about for you? It appears to me that Te especially comes out as a defensive reaction for you, but because it appears strong, it may not be interpreted as you just acting in self-defense or trying to solve a difficult situation. How can we avoid these kind of clashes happening? For me, I need space at the first hint of danger and staying on the doorstep until you have been invited in. What is it for you? What sparks those kinds of reactions for you?
    I'm not sure who this was directed at, but I'll take a stab at this:

    I think that for many ENFPs including me, Te comes across with it a self-confidence due to its forthrighted-ness that’s somewhat misleading. This makes sense because to get things done quickly and efficiently (which is what Te strives to do) you need to be confident in what you’re saying and doing. Te is action oriented. And, just like Orobas, if required, I’m very comfortable giving Te direction to those around me (also as long as it doesn’t make them uncomfortable.) But forthrightness does not necessarily mean lack of feeling or lack of vulnerability.

    For example, in the INFJ Common Issues thread, I had several people PM me and tell me they were so surprised when I said I was personally distressed by the conflict in which I had unwittingly become entangled. This puzzled me because it seemed to me so obvious that I was distressed. But this was a projection on my part. I ASSUMED they knew what I knew which was that I was clicking into Te mode BECAUSE I was stressed out. So I think you bring up a very good point, Fidelia, that when defensive Te comes out, it can seem offensive (in the sense of it being on the attack) because the auxiliary Te user (i.e., ENFPs) seems so confident and assured in what he/she is saying.

    How to avoid such conflicts? I’m not really sure. I know that with my new knowledge, I’m going to be much more forthcoming about my hurt Fi if I judge the other person has good intentions and will give my Fi some space. My natural behavior in such situations is to talk things out and to gently push the other person to talk them out with me… which is apparently the absolutely the LAST thing I should do with an Fe/Ti user. So I guess all I can say is that I’m open to suggestions from you and/or others. How can I respectfully give the Fe/Ti user some space and yet honor my own need to “work through it?”

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    It's only been this year that I've really started thinking about how similarly Fe and Te operate as well as Fi and Ti. It's also been interesting to realize that functions are interactive with each other, so it is not enough to look at Fe or Fi individually, but rather what it acts in conjunction with.
    Same here. I think I finally understand a bit of what it’s like to be introverted by understanding my own Fi. And, I see sooooo many parallels with Ti. I’m still sorting all through this, but there is much to be learned by thinking about these parallels.
    Last edited by Esoteric Wench; 11-23-2010 at 07:32 AM.
    ENFP with kick*ss Te | 7w8 so | ♀

  8. #38
    Iron Maiden fidelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Posts
    11,087

    Default

    It took me literally years to understand that my ESTJ was not as confident as he appeared to be. There were several times when I realized months or even a couple years after the fact that I had made him feel badly or he had felt unsure of himself, yet I never would have guessed it because he was a Te dom and as such, all I saw was action and complete assurance of his rightness.

    Same thing in that INFJ Common Issues thread - usually we wouldn't attack someone who looked like they were actually hurting. The bluntness stemmed from the fact that it wasn't at all apparent that your Te was coming out because you felt like people were not giving you the benefit of the doubt. It looked like you were not getting it when stated in polite terms, so we restated the same thing in blunter terms (and of course exaccerbated the situation, because you were already feeling badly and thought that was obvious!!!). To me (who felt annoyance more than hurt because I was reading the problem as unawareness rather than defensive reaction), it seemed kind of surprising to discover that our exchange had affected you that deeply.

    Your intentions also seemed kind of irrelevant, since I thought I had stated what was provoking my bluntness and you kept on. Of course though, your intentions were completely relevant if you believed that you were being attacked for being you and merely stating an idea. (Remember that ideas would be read by us as an outgrowth of you, rather than something that was up for discussion, change, debate etc. Ti users also highly value the source of information. If they feel the course is credible, they will accept the information readily. If they don't, they will resist it to the end. As a result, the criticism you offered without "credentials", previous history, and in some cases even a past track record of bad INFJ exchanges felt not only like a criticism of us, but a criticism coming from someone who wasn't qualified. It seemed presumptuous, even though I recognize now that was not the case. What I was missing is that you have a different system of processing information that depends less on the giver of it and more on haggling over the idea and being open to it morphing before you adopt it.)

    Similarly, we did the same thing to you by devaluing your feelings/values, which to us are more negotiable, much like ideas are for you. We did not place as much value on accuracy with them, nor on your intentions because to us they were less relevant to the outcome (don't do X and we won't react with Y). I can see now how frustrating that would be. Knowing what I know now, I think that if I were in a similar position again, it would help just understanding how you process ideas versus how I do. I think I would also recognize that if you were going into Te mode I would need to back up and find out where we went wrong rather than increasing my bluntness.

    I actually do enjoy having closure and getting feelings and misunderstandings talked out, much as you do. The key is to not insist that it be done immediately in the heat of the moment and don't try to spring to the solution before you've heard where we think the problem lies. It is most frustrating sometimes, but if you actually ask us to articulate where things went off the tracks and we believe you want to hear, we'll be honest with you. The earlier you choose to do that, the more gentle we'll be about it too. If you wait until you are in full Te defense mode, we'll just assume that you are not listening or that you are extremely unaware and will step up the bluntness (which won't be helpful!).

    Fe/Ti users need to be more direct in stating where the problem is, or else explain that they need some cool off time or what response they need from you in order to be able/willing to talk in a productive manner. This perhaps solves that Te need for knowing a solid course of action to take and allows it to take a back seat for a bit. Then we in turn don't prickle and hiss so badly, which is actually uncharacteristic behaviour for us. You may also have to state implicitly what you are feeling earlier on, because it won't be apparent to us when you are Te mode that you are actualliy feeling badly.

  9. #39
    Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I'm actually really glad that the couple of threads where there were conflicts did happen because they serve as useful examples to reference and figure out. For me, my reaction happened because it felt like the way the OP had been framed was not only being ignored, but a Te solution was being offered (with increasing force) when there had been no request for it. For you, did it feel as if there was a solution in sight but that we were not willing to look at the issue from both sides and try to understand each other? I think maybe that's how umlauu saw it as a Fi onlooker.
    I wanted to break this out into its own post because I think it’s so important.

    I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about what happened on the INFJ Common Issues thread and I’ll tell you what I saw from my point of view:

    I picked up almost immediately that my input was not wanted nor was my opinion considered valid. Why? Not because what I said wasn’t valid. Not because my feedback was incorrect. But because I was Esoteric Wench. That is to say that some people had decided from my previous posts that I was hostile to INFJs. Thus, they had reasoned that my input was not wanted in an INFJ thread. Furthermore, it felt like I had to be on the approved list to be able to provide input in that thread.

    I found this GROSSLY OFFENSIVE and MORALLY WRONG.

    A couple of times, Fidelia, you asked what you could have done to better communicate to me that I should not post in that thread. Or at least this seems to be what you were asking. And, implicit in that request is the assumption that if only I had gotten your point that I would have stopped posting in that thread.

    Let me gently suggest you are asking the wrong question. I DID get that you were saying my input was not wanted (for whatever reasons). But since I judged this request to be morally wrong, I chose to ignore it. It’s not that I didn’t hear you. It’s that I heard you and decided that to be true to my values I was compelled to ignore you.

    I’ll try to succinctly list my Fi values that felt violated.

    All People Have Something Valuable to Contribute. Doesn’t everyone bring something to the table? Isn’t this forum a place where people come to learn and exchange ideas? So it seems to me that no one should be excluded in giving their input if they do it in a respectful and considerate manner. Thus, I felt that a little bit of censorship of diverse opinions was going on. Even going back and re-reading the original post, I do not see where anything was framed in such a way that only INFJs should respond. Nor do I think I was the only non-INFJ to respond. Take for example, Uumlau who is an INTJ. I didn’t see anyone post anything that made him feel like he shouldn’t post on that thread. So here again is evidence that I was being told to pack up my toys and go home. Egad! That’s not what this forum is all about.

    Let the Best Argument Win. I assumed that you were operating under the same assumption that I was which was that whoever made the best logical argument would carry the day. Under my assumption, who made the argument didn’t matter. Their agenda didn’t matter. All that mattered was validity of their argument. I found it offensive that some people were unwilling to even engage my logic. I had gotten a lot of positive feedback from INFJs on my post in the Doorslam thread to which I alluded. So I felt confident that I was on the right track. Furthermore, in my mind, if anyone read my post from the INFJ Doorslam thread (which I quoted in the INFJ Common Issues thread post), they would know immediately that I was trying to be respectful, considerate, and humble in the matter. I actually adore pretty much every INFJ I know. So I was floored when it was bandied about that I didn’t like / was hostile to INFJs and thus my opinion didn’t matter. Seems like that was throwing logic out the window.

    Finger Wagging. I don’t do things because other people think I should do them. I do things because I’ve judged them the right thing to do. So when you said in a subsequent post that you felt very aware of the sharks swimming around me, I was floored… and hurt… and baffled. I felt like people were talking about me behind my back. I even went back and re-read the thread and saw no one else saying anything to discourage me from posting. (Not that I would have listened to them either.) So I had to consider if there had been some thread somewhere that I had been burned in effigy… seriously.

    I don’t know if this makes sense to you or not. I’m just trying to be straightforward and honest about how it felt to me. I’d love you to tell me your thoughts on what I’ve said here.
    ENFP with kick*ss Te | 7w8 so | ♀

  10. #40
    Iron Maiden fidelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Posts
    11,087

    Default

    Okay! This is super important. You're right that I was reacting to you specifically. Not because I thought you were a terrible person, or that I believe leaving people out is right or that it was my intention to make you feel horrible. (In advance, I apologize for the messiness of structure - I really do need your help sometimes with that).

    You're correct that I didn't state specifically that I didn't want non-INFJs to respond. However, I had made the thread to give people a window into some common misunderstandings/tendancies that occur to get other INFJ feedback on whether they identified. I also wanted to be of help by offering insight for those other types who were confused as to why we would think that way.

    You went into the thread telling why we were wrong to operate in that way (which wasn't the purpose of the thread - remember ideas are an extension of us - this felt akin to criticizing my values without even knowing me). This appeared to me like walking into someone's house that you don't know and telling them that they had painted the walls the wrong colour. If they knew you were a professional interior decorator who had chosen your house to feature a show on and was offering free help, that might change the reaction. If you are someone whose house may or may not be better decorated that my own, that's a completely different story. Rather than suggesting a new perspective with questions and starting with points we agreed on, you started with disagreeing and suggesting a completely different course of action before I had had a chance to feel you out, warm up to you or get to know what you had to offer. I think this is a big difference between Fi/Te and Fe/Ti. Te emphasizes differences to get to the meat of the issue and is much less rigid and detailed, but tends to be more action oriented and practical. The Fi part tempers it by respecting a person's intentions and feelings. Fe insists that you go about doing it in the right way if it is going to be heard and accepted. It needs you to start out with similarities and then branch out from there, taking care to still respect the group dynamic and how it will be affected. Ti needs to know the person is qualified to give advice. Fe's version of Te's approximation is that you take individual preferences and uniqueness less into the account, while balancing the group dynamic.

    Judging from the doorslam thread, your previous interactions with at least one INFJ weren't successful and it didn't seem that you were interested in finding out how the world might look from their perspective.

    In another thread you repeatedly referred to another INFJ with various versions of their name. Even when corrected, you didn't seem to put much importance on it. This made me feel that you were somewhat unaware of group dynamics and interpersonal communication. Then you went on to say that you were excellent at reading people, but you ignored the changes in my tone that were indicating there was danger ahead. When you further chose to ignore the defensive reaction I was giving off in the thread I had started, it confirmed the bias that I already felt that it must be an unawareness issue, since your intentions didn't seem to be bad.

    Even when you wanted to understand better and were trying to be concilliatory, you still weren't willing to do the thing that I felt I was repeatedly and clearly asking you to do - just back off a little and then I can be nice. I wanted to be nice, but I couldn't do it when you were doing that. What appeared to be finger wagging was my way of trying to say that I had taken the time to check that I wasn't just reacting unreasonably. It wasn't meant to make you feel that people were talking about you or that I was trying to socially pressure you. I put very little trust in my own emotions because I know they change. Therefore, (in my Fe-ish way!) I actually solicited opinions from a couple of trusted people whose communication style on here I trust as being respectful and level-headed (again the qualifications matter!). I also went by a couple of rep comments and concluded, "No this isn't just me. I'm not being totally unreasonable and I am clearly stating an alternative course of action that I would deal better with".

    Someone like umlauu had had a previous history of contributing useful and credible information to me in other threads. Therefore, I was immediately more biased to trust his judgement. Even if we were to come up against some different perceptions, I'd be more likely to chalk it up to different personality types and try to see where he was coming from. He also had had an INFJ mother (so he had experience with the subject) and he had to some extent developed some pseudo-Fe which made any differences that existed easier to accept because of the the method of communicating them.

    I realize now that this was just a Fe/Ti reaction which is almost polar opposite from Fi/Te in how it goes about. The problems was very rooted in our different thought processes.

    One of the main issues here lay in how we approach people. I was grossly offensive to you by not considering your contribution just as worthwhile as anyone else's. To me, ideas are highly personal and you seemed to be ignoring the method I told you I would make me more receptive to what you were saying.

    I'm not sure if I'm right yet, but would you say the following is true? Politeness in my world would have indicated not commenting if you disagreed until you had had time to further understand what was being presented. When you did comment, you would start with similarities, rather than differences. To you politeness would have been accepting all contributions equally and then honing in on what was workable. This would involve examining differences to come to a place of similarity.

Similar Threads

  1. Video: ENFPs And Being Lazy
    By highlander in forum Typology Videos and RSS Feeds
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-07-2017, 05:39 PM
  2. [ENFP] ENFP's and Being Happy With Your Present Situation
    By Forever_Jung in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-24-2013, 09:19 PM
  3. [ENFP] ENFP and being judged/judging others
    By Lily flower in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-17-2011, 07:14 PM
  4. [ENFP] ENFPs and being alone.
    By cheerchick23 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-12-2011, 02:46 AM
  5. [ENFP] ENFPs and perception of "well-likedness"
    By autumn in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 10-16-2008, 08:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO