User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

my NTP family members and i are always misinterpreting each other as attacking one another when we're just trying to clarify things :/

Fi + Ti =

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think one of the issues I have with this, too, is that I've had pretty strong intuitive almost "psychic" connections to SFs I am/have been close to...they can throw out and pick up "vibes" and maintain an almost spooky connection with others just like one would assume only an intuitive (and specifically an NF) would do. Of course, many people also say that kind of intuition is seperate from being an N intuitive in the MBTI sense, but I just wanted to mention this as well, if we're talking about special connections.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by copperfish17 View Post
    TBH I don't think this whole "kinship" thing has to do with being an NF/being NFs. Universal tr00th: People tend to be more empathetic to people who are similar to themselves. This goes across the board and does not pertain solely to NFs. ^
    I really hope that this is not true. I can't imagine only expression empathy for others because they are similar to me. I know lots of people, and frankly, their type is irrelevant to me. Sometimes someone needs help, so you help them.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I really hope that this is not true. I can't imagine only expression empathy for others because they are similar to me. I know lots of people, and frankly, their type is irrelevant to me. Sometimes someone needs help, so you help them.
    I don't think anyone said they only have empathy for other NFs. Some just interpreted the thread that way. While mocking those they misinterpreted.
    George Bernard Shaw in cartoon form.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Copperfish said Universal tr00th: People tend to be more empathetic to people who are similar to themselves.
    S/he made a definitive statement, that is neither a truth nor universal.

MBTI
    ENFP

Copperfish said Universal tr00th: People tend to be more empathetic to people who are similar to themselves.
    S/he made a definitive statement, that is neither a truth nor universal.
    Oh that. I thought you were talking about claims that NFs are a cliquish mob that dehumanizes anyone who isn't an NF (which is a projection when you couple it with the "universal truth" as put forth by Copperfish).
    Hm. Copperfish over exposed in a very INTP fashion (I am always right. Whatever I deduce with my individual Te is a "universal truth").

There is a tiny bit of validity in that statement. It's not a universal truth but it's the reason why certain kidnapping are reported nationally (those that involve "America's Sweethearts") and others barely make a peep. Sad but it exists.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I don't know. I can occasionally spot (and am drawn to) a NF before they speak but it can have more to do with clothing, demeanour and facial expressions than their eyes. I'm actually not all that good at eye contact in general nor am I all that people oriented when out of my element. If in a room full of strangers, I'm more likely to be staring absent-minded out the window or intrigued by a painting or poster on the wall. I might take the odd glance at others to try to suss them out but mostly I'm too uncomfortable and distracted by my thoughts and surroundings.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

There is a difference between saying "people TEND to do this" and saying "people DEFINITELY do this." Correlation VS Causation. They are VERY different things.
    Of course you can empathise with anyone on this planet. You are just a little bit more likely to empathize with those who are similar to you.

Would you find it easier to empathise with a fellow INFP or a ESTJ?

I'm guessing your issue with that statement is that it makes you sound like someone who is discriminating with your empathy. That isn't true. The statement only states that it is easier to understand the emotions of those whose emotional systems are similar to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Vamp View Post
    I don't think anyone said they only have empathy for other NFs. Some just interpreted the thread that way. While mocking those they misinterpreted.
    I read over this thread again and can say with certainty that no one interpreted the thread that way, including myself. And I understood what you said throughout the thread perfectly fine (I'm not sure if I understand where you're coming from though). However, I'm afraid you have misinterpreted me for the most part. Mostly because you can't pick up on the subtle distinctions in language I make in my arguments.

Besides, this post only smacks of butthurt.

Oh that. I thought you were talking about claims that NFs are a cliquish mob that dehumanizes anyone who isn't an NF (which is a projection when you couple it with the "universal truth" as put forth by Copperfish).
    Hm. Copperfish over exposed in a very INTP fashion (I am always right. Whatever I deduce with my individual Te is a "universal truth").
    I wasn't insulting NFs as a whole. Those comments were directed at you and those who share your perceptions, which doesn't include all NFs.
    I didn't deduce that tidbit with my individual Te. Take some time to research on that statement; I'm sure you can find lots of studies that support it. If you were wondering, I'm aware that saying it's a "universal truth" may be an exaggeration.

You're guilty of all the things you accuse INTPs of (passive-aggressiveness, belligerence, immaturity, lack of social graces etc.) and on top of that, incapability to understand nuances and make purposeful distinctions in language. Welcome to the world of inferior Fe... plus inferior Ti.
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by copperfish17 View Post
    There is a difference between saying "people TEND to do this" and saying "people DEFINITELY do this." Correlation VS Causation. They are VERY different things.
    Of course you can empathise with anyone on this planet. You are just a little bit more likely to empathize with those who are similar to you.

Would you find it easier to empathise with a fellow INFP or a ESTJ?

I'm guessing your issue with that statement is that it makes you sound like someone who is discriminating with your empathy. That isn't true. The statement only states that it is easier to understand the emotions of those whose emotional systems are similar to yours.

I did not interpret the thread that way. And I understood what you said perfectly fine (I'm not sure if I understand where you're coming from though). In fact, I'm afraid you have misinterpreted me.

I wasn't insulting NFs as a whole. Those comments were directed at you and those who share your perceptions, which doesn't include all NFs.
    I didn't deduce that tidbit with my individual Te. Take some time to research on that statement; I'm sure you can find lots of studies that support it.
    If you were wondering, I'm aware that saying it's a "universal truth" may be an exaggeration.

You're guilty of all the things you accuse INTPs of (passive-aggressiveness, belligerence, immaturity, lack of social graces etc.) and on top of that, incapability to understand nuances and make purposeful distinctions in language. Welcome to the world of inferior Fe... plus inferior Ti.
    You missed this part:

There is a tiny bit of validity in that statement. It's not a universal truth but it's the reason why certain kidnapping are reported nationally (those that involve "America's Sweethearts") and others barely make a peep. Sad but it exists.
    But it doesn't support your brow beating so whatevs.

And I'm sure you consider everything in the last part of your post to be more "universal truth". lol

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

You missed this part:

But it doesn't support your brow beating so whatevs.
    I didn't miss it. I was objecting to your perception of INTPs (whatever INTPs deduce with their Te, they consider it the universal truth), not your understanding/validation of that statement.

If you understood that sentence, I can be sure you have more Ti than I'm giving you credit for right now.

And I'm sure you consider everything in the last part of your post to be more "universal truth". lol
    How can that last part be a "universal" truth when I'm talking about my perceptions of a single individual?
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.