Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Vamp View Post
    If you notice I said nothing as superstitious as "NFs are the only type that looks others in the eyes" but whatever, you just hate NFs feeling good about being NFs. We should all kowtow and kiss other types asses because they have it rough despite being the majority in the world.
    What the hell are you talking about?

You've totally lost me, seriously. You're making stuff up now.

I'm just stating it's bullshit to say only NFs are super-interested in people (IME ExFJs, whether S or N, are usually EXTREMELY people focused because of Fe dominance) and it's definitely bullshit to say they're the only ones who look you in the eye.

But I'll change my type to ISFP again if that makes you feel better about your pre-conceived notions about NFs. I'm nice like that.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i get a certain resonance from many NFs too. it's usually just certain a fluidity in interaction, or an instant "alignment" (especially at work).

as for a look in the eye... this has nothing at all to do with NFs being special or anything... but there is a look that NFs have sometimes, which is like they are attentive to you in a friendly manner, but also like they're looking through you - like they're looking for more information than they're getting. i would venture to say it could be an actual NF/non-NF difference, present in specific movements of the eyes. i wouldn't be surprised to hear that Ns and Ss, and Fs and Ts, have differences in their eye movement patterns, since we tend to pay attention to different things. the "looking through" is probably an N thing and the close people-attention is probably a F thing. maybe it's just a natural reaction to realize when people are looking at and responding to the same things that we do. i also think it would seem a fair statistic that NFs in particular would pick up on an odd difference like this, not because we're better in any way than the other types, but because we're both pattern and people attuned.

just theorizing. ._.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I don't know but I notice it more in conversation, in content, honestly.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    as for a look in the eye... this has nothing at all to do with NFs being special or anything... but there is a look that NFs have sometimes, which is like they are attentive to you in a friendly manner, but also like they're looking through you - like they're looking for more information than they're getting. i would venture to say it could be an actual NF/non-NF difference, present in specific movements of the eyes. i wouldn't be surprised to hear that Ns and Ss, and Fs and Ts, have differences in their eye movement patterns, since we tend to pay attention to different things. the "looking through" is probably an N thing and the close people-attention is probably a F thing. maybe it's just a natural reaction to realize when people are looking at and responding to the same things that we do. i also think it would seem a fair statistic that NFs in particular would pick up on an odd difference like this, not because we're better in any way than the other types, but because we're both pattern and people attuned.

just theorizing. ._.
    Yeah, agreed. If anything, if I had to guess how NFs could recognize each other through eye contact it would be from lack of immediate presence. Even when there's eye contact, there's often a feeling like the person is thinking about something else. And it's feasible to me that people might be able to recognize others looking at and responding to a surrounding environment in a very similar manner to our own. I've just never personally paid enough attention to it actually happening to have an solid opinion.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

TBH I don't think this whole "kinship" thing has to do with being an NF/being NFs. Universal tr00th: People tend to be more empathetic to people who are similar to themselves. This goes across the board and does not pertain solely to NFs.

I am convinced, however, that NFs are naturally more prone to cliquish behavior than are the other three temperaments.

OMG WHY IS THE WORLD SO MEAN TO US? SOB. BEING A MINORITY AUTOMATICALLY MAKES OUR LIVES HARDER AND THUS ENTITLES US TO THE RIGHT TO WHINE, WHINE, WHINE, AND WHINE SUM MOAR. THE MAJORITY ANTAGONIZES US AS A RULE, CUZ WE'RE THE SPECIAL LITTLE SNOWFLAKES OF THIS WORLD THAT NO ONE UNDERSTANDS. BOOHOO. WE'RE DAMN SPECIAL AND NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO TELL US OTHERWISE CUZ THEY'RE NOT ONE OF US. LET'S STICK THROUGH THIS CRUEL WORLD TOGETHER CUZ WE HAVE EVERYTHING SO MUCH HARDER THAN OTHERS CRAI CRAI CRAI. EVERYONE ELSE'S LIFE IS ALWAYS EASIER THAN OURS.

Lots of exaggerations there, but you get the idea.

Disclaimer: I am not anti-NF in any way; I am only criticizing certain immature NFs here. ^
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by copperfish17 View Post
    TBH I don't think this whole "kinship" thing has to do with being an NF/being NFs. Universal tr00th: People tend to be more empathetic to people who are similar to themselves. This goes across the board and does not pertain solely to NFs.

I am convinced, however, that NFs are naturally more prone to cliquish behavior than are the other three temperaments.

OMG WHY IS THE WORLD SO MEAN TO US? SOB. BEING A MINORITY AUTOMATICALLY MAKES OUR LIVES HARDER AND THUS ENTITLES US TO THE RIGHT TO WHINE, WHINE, WHINE, AND WHINE SUM MOAR. THE MAJORITY ANTAGONIZES US AS A RULE, CUZ WE'RE THE SPECIAL LITTLE SNOWFLAKES OF THIS WORLD THAT NO ONE UNDERSTANDS. BOOHOO. WE'RE DAMN SPECIAL AND NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO TELL US OTHERWISE CUZ THEY'RE NOT ONE OF US. LET'S STICK THROUGH THIS CRUEL WORLD TOGETHER CUZ WE HAVE EVERYTHING SO MUCH HARDER THAN OTHERS CRAI CRAI CRAI. EVERYONE ELSE'S LIFE IS ALWAYS EASIER THAN OURS.

Lots of exaggerations there, but you get the idea.

Disclaimer: I am not anti-NF in any way; I am only criticizing certain immature NFs here. ^
    ^

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I've met people of every type who do this...

As well as people who are interested in you for other reasons, people who are trying to sell you something (and there are different ways to try and sell someone something) will fix their gaze intently on you. I'm inclined to agree with marmalade on this one.
    I don't mean that only NFs fix their gaze on a person. I was only talking in general about NFs and certainly not all of them do this. It wasn't meant as a blanket statement. Sure, there are SFs who also do this. When I said this, I was thinking of the strong NFs that I know or have met.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I've met people of every type who do this...

As well as people who are interested in you for other reasons, people who are trying to sell you something (and there are different ways to try and sell someone something) will fix their gaze intently on you. I'm inclined to agree with marmalade on this one.
    I think what the OP was referring to was a warm gaze, a desire to connect personally. Not those who will stare at you because they want to sell you something or have other less personal motives. I know an ISTJ that is known for his very cold and distant, disquieting stare.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    i get a certain resonance from many NFs too. it's usually just certain a fluidity in interaction, or an instant "alignment" (especially at work).

just theorizing. ._.
    The "looking through" and "close people attention" is a good way to describe it. I also agree with your other thoughts.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Yeah, agreed. If anything, if I had to guess how NFs could recognize each other through eye contact it would be from lack of immediate presence. Even when there's eye contact, there's often a feeling like the person is thinking about something else. And it's feasible to me that people might be able to recognize others looking at and responding to a surrounding environment in a very similar manner to our own. I've just never personally paid enough attention to it actually happening to have an solid opinion.
    This is very true for NFs, that lack of immediate presence. NFs or NTs can hopscotch around in thoughts while talking with one another but get a sense of a strong and satisfying connection because, though they may seem to be somewhere else, the two people are connecting the dots with one another. When this happens, you can immediately feel closer to the other person. It allows other doorways to open to each other.