User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ENFP's idealist view of INTJs

MBTI
    INTP

Default ENFP's idealist view of INTJs

Is it common for ENFP's to be attracted to INTJs in so long as they look "perfect" to the ENFP? Is the INTJ's goal for self-perfection what attracts ENFPs?

I dated an ENFP, who gradually became my harshest critic after we were not dating. He disliked that I was changing, taking risks, and moving forward (dating etc) which I understand to a certain extent because maybe he was jealous, insecure etc. But overall, it hurt me deeply to see his clear inability to respect the fact that I was human, needed to grow up on my own and was prone to discovering my own faults and make mistakes. For this ENFP I was "his perfect girl" now imperfect, which bothers the deepest part of me no matter how much I try to ignore it.

Peace on Earth, dammit Array Thalassa's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Sounds like he was just jealous and not over you, that's all.
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

"In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled." Daniel 10:2-3

Fasting for Advent

Give Vegan

SEE-Fi /Gamma

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    INFJ

+1

What marm said.

I had a colleague who is a male ENFP. I'm big on self-improvement and have big ideas on what to do with my life whereas he was contented with whatever he had for himself and whoever I was. He wanted to date me and I refused. Up until now we have never kept contact. He even changed his phone number.

RDF

Sounds like the guy was a control freak. Sounds like he wanted to freeze you in time and space (no more dating) even after he and you were over.

If that's the case, then you're well rid of him. Who needs onlookers deciding for you whether you're perfect or imperfect, especially when by your own definition you're still growing and changing and getting out in the world?

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Seems more like an insecure male problem and not really an MBTI problem.

ENFPs, at their best, are supposed to be enthusiastic and supporting.

Immanentize the Eschaton Array Starry's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

I need to agree with all that was said here before. I've got more ENFPs in my life than I know what to do with...and I have never, ever heard of anything like this. This is, obviously, not to say that an ENFP couldn't behave like this...but of all the types...well...something just doesn't ring totally true. An ENFPs 'after-break-up' behavior is pretty predictable imo. You either will never see them again...or...if they want you back...they will be putting on the ENFP charm +100. Once back in the relationship...once they were comfortable...some complaining may come out...but it would be unusual to do this after a break up. Are you absolutely positive of type? BTW...I love INTJs.

Peace on Earth, dammit Array Thalassa's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by StarryKnights View Post
    I need to agree with all that was said here before. I've got more ENFPs in my life than I know what to do with...and I have never, ever heard of anything like this. This is, obviously, not to say that an ENFP couldn't behave like this...but of all the types...well...something just doesn't ring totally true. An ENFPs 'after-break-up' behavior is pretty predictable imo. You either will never see them again...or...if they want you back...they will be putting on the ENFP charm +100. Once back in the relationship...once they were comfortable...some complaining may come out...but it would be unusual to do this after a break up. Are you absolutely positive of type? BTW...I love INTJs.
    You don't think that if they're still friends or acquaintences - on speaking terms - and he wants her but can't have her back he couldn't express any sour grapes, bitterness, or jealousy as an ENFP? Why is that?

Do you think INFP is more likely?

I'm just curious as to why you think an ENFP couldn't show cattiness. I think any human being could, but I'm interested in what your theory might be.
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

"In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled." Daniel 10:2-3

Fasting for Advent

Give Vegan

SEE-Fi /Gamma

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

seems odd to me...enfps in my experience usually handle break ups well...in the sense that they would be happy for you and encourage you to move on...even being totally fine and cool being friends but i admit my sample size isn't that big.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ISFJ

He probably was having a hard time dealing with the fact he loved you and now all of a sudden you are a completely different person in his eyes. Identity isn't extremely fluid to ENFPs, we usually pride ourselves on staying true to ourselves and all that jazz...so it can be quite painful to perceive drastic changes on someone who is close to us.

Immanentize the Eschaton Array Starry's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    You don't think that if they're still friends or acquaintences - on speaking terms - and he wants her but can't have her back he couldn't express any sour grapes, bitterness, or jealousy as an ENFP? Why is that?

Do you think INFP is more likely?

I'm just curious as to why you think an ENFP couldn't show cattiness. I think any human being could, but I'm interested in what your theory might be.
    No...I did say in my post "This is, obviously, not to say that an ENFP couldn't behave like this..."

Why I wanted to know if the OP was convinced of Type is because I do feel it is less likely for an ENFP to complain after a break-up. An ENFP scorned...is likely to disappear. Disappear after handing out a few choice words...but disappear all the same. An ENFP set on winning back their ex...will probably use charm as oppose to harsh treatment. I could also see an ENFP using manipulation...but not necessarily abusive manipulation when trying to win someone back.

But I do understand your point. Maybe he wants her back but doesn't think he will ever get her back so he 'attacks' her 'current character'. Still...I have a hard time seeing an ENFP doing this. 1.) ENFPs idealize the object of their affection. 2.) ENFPs tend to forget all the 'bad'...only remember the good in relationships - post relationship. And 3.) ENFPs tend to be future thinkers with short attention spans...they have a low tolerance for prolonged negativity. I can't just see them sticking around ripping on someone that they are not in a declared relationship with.

Again...there is ALWAYS an exception to the rule. Always.