User Tag List

First 210111213 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    That's really more of a me problem than an American problem, at least in this instance. I'm horrible about assuming that the way I think is universally accepted. Working on it! In that vein, I appreciate you taking me to task.
    It's pretty much characteristic of your countrymen. This board provides much evidence of that.
    I wasn't "taking you to task", just offering an alternate perspective.
    Interestingly, I have had a chance to see a bit of Europe now that I am here traveling and I must say that Europe is at least equally banal in some respects. Tourism has rendered parts of Europe completely insipid.
    LOL. Only American tourists speak of "Europe" in those terms.

What "bits" have you seen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    It's pretty much characteristic of your countrymen. This board provides much evidence of that.
    I wasn't "taking you to task", just offering an alternate perspective.
    Okay. I was just trying to be responsible for my own actions. The whys and wherefores don't really matter so much to me in that sense. I want to correct the behavior and to do so I have to own it.

Yes, yes. Again, I am a cliche. I was very tentative in my statement, of course. Simply asserting that America, while perhaps the chief offender, does not possess a monopoly on banality.

I have been to London, Amsterdam, Berlin, and currently Munich. Headed to Venice tomorrow because I'm freezing. I am surprised to the degree to which I really have found Italians I've met traveling both ugly and loathsome. Individually, they seem fine and likable, but in groups they're often so clamorous and heavily made up and really tacky. I've really met some very kind people. I shared a night train berth with a German family of four. That was... interesting.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

It must be tough being better than everyone all the time Salome....

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    My theory is that she is one of those people who must first offend and then be loved before she can feel and trust that love. So, she is purposefully difficult. Because if we still love her, then it actually means something. Of course, I could be projecting. But, I am generally a fan of her honesty, even if it is a bit like being raped in the face with a claw hammer sometimes.

Enneagram
    9w8

Ye have a way with direct honesty at times yourself, Synarch - it comes as being without agenda, which can give the message a clarity.

Salome, isn't a certain amount of banality par for the course in any culture which has been modernized and brought into the mainstream?

As to the OP's query, when I was younger I regarded information as power - the less I shared, the more others seemed to. I was a reflective surface in which they painted themselves through speech and sometimes lies. I didn't really use it... just watched. It can still be extremely difficult to take an active stance instead of observing and reacting, but I do it anyway. It feels like facing a cardinal fear, which I am a staunch supporter of.

I don't regret it - learning from the positive and negative examples is entirely necessary.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    It's fucking hard work, I gotta tell ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    My theory is that she is one of those people who must first offend and then be loved before she can feel and trust that love. So, she is purposefully difficult. Because if we still love her, then it actually means something. Of course, I could be projecting. But, I am generally a fan of her honesty, even if it is a bit like being raped in the face with a claw hammer sometimes.
    I find your visual imagery disgusting and your motives for twisting every exchange we have into an opportunity for you to "analyse" me, pretty much unfathomable...

You're projecting. Being "loved" and being "hated" on this board amount to much the same thing and I'm anxious for neither (unlike your good self).

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    Salome, isn't a certain amount of banality par for the course in any culture which has been modernized and brought into the mainstream?
    Which mainstream? Are you asking whether "the mainstream" is banal? Sure. Almost by definition. But some mainstreams are more banal than others.

I was a reflective surface in which they painted themselves through speech and sometimes lies. I didn't really use it... just watched.
    Nice description.
    I can "relate".
    I am silver and exact....unmisted by love or dislike

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    I find your visual imagery disgusting and your motives for twisting every exchange we have into an opportunity for you to "analyse" me, pretty much unfathomable...

You're projecting. Being "loved" and being "hated" on this board amount to much the same thing and I'm anxious for neither (unlike your good self).
    It's not difficult to fathom. I relate to you. This inclines me try to create explanations for your behavior that harmonize your seeming disdain with the desire to speak your own mind in response, which, if you were truly disdainful you might not be inclined to do. Plus, I am not convinced that you respond to such things as "I like who you are, Salome." Instead you seem to prefer friendship via periodic combat, like some Klingon or Romulan (bad analogy but the first thing that came to mind) valkyrie. Yes, perhaps the visual imagery is inappropriate. I will try to be more respectful of the audience.

What are you anxious for? You do spend a lot of time here. What ego needs are served?

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I think I'm in love, Salome.

MBTI
    ENTP

Hold onto your head.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch
    I relate to you.
    Which part? The claw-hammered-face-rapist? Or the secretive egoist?
    What are you anxious for?
    An interesting conversation would represent a pleasing novelty.
    You do spend a lot of time here.
    Not really. I spend more than is warranted, though much less lately.
    What ego needs are served?
    None that come to mind.
    I am not convinced that you respond to such things as "I like who you are, Salome."
    I guess much depends on who's saying it.
    Instead you seem to prefer friendship via periodic combat
    Conflict does a better job of sharpening the wit than platitude.