• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] The World vs INFP

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So once and for all, I wanna know.

Am I the only one who feels like INFPs are the world's favorite animal to hunt?

Like, I just realized it a few minutes ago, but it's a thought that's been a few weeks in coming. Why does it seem like we're the precious animal that everyone wants to capture and study, or hunt for sport, or keep in a cage just to brag about having one?

It's like we're the mystical fucking unicorns that people love to look at but never really understand. Yeah, they want to get closer to us. But when it comes down to it, everyone loves the ENFPs. Every time, be them SJ, NT, or SP, want relationships with ENFPs.

But INFPs are good for... yeah. We're just pets or good for research or fun to torture. How come the ENFPs get all the love and we're just the trophies?

We're pandas. I mean, we're actually the MBTI equivalent of pandas. We have no use to people other than being cute to look at and high maintenance to care for. ENFPs get to be the dogs. They're the ones that everyone wants to have in their house and thinks are the greatest friends ever.

Who wants a panda in their house?

They wanna come look at us in the zoo, and they want to have stuffed animal versions of us. But nobody wants us beyond that.

Nobody cares about us for who we really are deep down inside :cry:

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Why does it seem like we're the precious animal that everyone wants to capture and study, or hunt for sport, or keep in a cage just to brag about having one?

Cause you are INFP.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have no idea what you're talking about....

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have no idea what you're talking about....

I'm probably just falling into one of my flips then.

The depression was slipping into self-abuse by the end of that, so yeah. That's probably all it is. Don't mind me then :blushing:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No really....just re-phrase. I honestly don't know what you're getting at. No flippancy here.
You think people are only interested in INFPs as strange creatures to observe or trophies? That's all I'm getting...

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Easy, it's because we are the most mysterious, hidden, and awesome type that exists, it's as simple as that.

Chill

MBTI Type
INFP
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make and manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." ~ Marianne Williamson ~

^^Referring to the above quote, it's because being supportive, nurturing and encouraging, INFPs tend to bring out the best in others but ironically, humans are afraid of having their best sides manifested, hence INFPs are cherished only to the point of being gazed upon in awe, and nothing further?!?!?

Also, the ideals of INFPs are not easily met, not by themselves, what more others.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
It's like we're the mystical fucking unicorns that people love to look at but never really understand. Yeah, they want to get closer to us. But when it comes down to it, everyone loves the ENFPs. Every time, be them SJ, NT, or SP, want relationships with ENFPs.

But INFPs are good for... yeah. We're just pets or good for research or fun to torture. How come the ENFPs get all the love and we're just the trophies?

Hmm... do you mean that people like you but don't seem to have same kind of relationship with you as they have with other people? They can't see you as a real person?

I think it's because INFPs are prone to pleasing other people and sometimes go to such lengths in it that it seems off. The other people see the niceness as a facade but never find anything behind it. And how can you trust a person who seems like he's only a facade?

I've noticed that even if I just express my little annoyances about some things, people take me as being more real than if I don't. In fact I don't have a need to do this, since they are usually not that important things I would have to talk them through with other people, but when I do people seem to respond positively to it...

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
No really....just re-phrase. I honestly don't know what you're getting at. No flippancy here.
You think people are only interested in INFPs as strange creatures to observe or trophies? That's all I'm getting...

Scott's take on trying to rephrase the original posting:
-INFP's and ENFP's are very much alike.
-virtually everybody apparently likes ENFP's.
-not many peopel apparently like INFP's.
-as an analogy, ENFP's are like dogs, people like them and want one [or more] in their home with them
-as an analogy, INFP's are more like pandas. dogs and pandas are both cute and likeable, but people LIVE with dogs [you know, like everyday, every time they come home], but people go to a zoo to see a panda [you know, like once in a while, and then they just look at the panda for a few minutes or so, and then move on to all the other animals one can look at at a zoo]
-INFP's, while likeable, are best kept a t a distance and seen/interacted with once in a while???

was that a good re-description of the first post?

Scot's thoughts
-remember that ENFP's are NeFi and INFp's are FiNe
-people seem to enjoy being around Ne, its funny, quirky, interesting, fresh, exciting, insightful at times, and well just fu I guess
-Fi is nice when you want personal therapy or emotional validation. On a practical level day to day for most people, Fi serves little other purpose or has little other value. ESPECIALLY for people you don't know very well [most social interactions in society are pretty shallow].
-I think people liek ENFP's cuz they are E's and lead with Ne. Fi is secondary, and possibly far removed. So all the quirkiness, interesting, exciting, dynamic, etc is there, without all that pesky "lets talk about our feelings". Is there EVER a dull moment when an ENFP is around??? NO!!!
-I think people don't like INFPs as much because were quieter, harder to figure out, harder to understand, who wants Fi around, and our Ne doesn't come out to play nearly as much. Many people may ask "Is there ever an exciting moment when an INFP is around?"

So there you go, Scott's take on this all.

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make and manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." ~ Marianne Williamson ~

^^Referring to the above quote, it's because being supportive, nurturing and encouraging, INFPs tend to bring out the best in others but ironically, humans are afraid of having their best sides manifested, hence INFPs are cherished only to the point of being gazed upon in awe, and nothing further?!?!?

Also, the ideals of INFPs are not easily met, not by themselves, what more others.

-as an analogy, ENFP's are like dogs, people like them and want one [or more] in their home with them
-as an analogy, INFP's are more like pandas. dogs and pandas are both cute and likeable, but people LIVE with dogs [you know, like everyday, every time they come home], but people go to a zoo to see a panda [you know, like once in a while, and then they just look at the panda for a few minutes or so, and then move on to all the other animals one can look at at a zoo]
-INFP's, while likeable, are best kept a t a distance and seen/interacted with once in a while???

Scot's thoughts
-people seem to enjoy being around Ne, its funny, quirky, interesting, fresh, exciting, insightful at times, and well just fu I guess
-Fi is nice when you want personal therapy or emotional validation. On a practical level day to day for most people, Fi serves little other purpose or has little other value. ESPECIALLY for people you don't know very well [most social interactions in society are pretty shallow].
-I think people liek ENFP's cuz they are E's and lead with Ne. Fi is secondary, and possibly far removed. So all the quirkiness, interesting, exciting, dynamic, etc is there, without all that pesky "lets talk about our feelings". Is there EVER a dull moment when an ENFP is around??? NO!!!
-I think people don't like INFPs as much because were quieter, harder to figure out, harder to understand, who wants Fi around, and our Ne doesn't come out to play nearly as much. Many people may ask "Is there ever an exciting moment when an INFP is around?"

Scott summed it up pretty well, yeah. And thanks Chill, that really helped :blush:

I'm feeling better today. I just had it all bottled up and something set it off in an eruption of nonsensical bantering :cry:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Scot's thoughts

Ah, yes, that does make sense. :D

I used to have this feeling of being a "last resort" friend. Like, if there's no one else available, then I'd get a call. But still, people would sort of admire me (for lack of better description) from a distance, as I guess I can seem somewhat smart & independent & creative. I realized it was not so much that people did not like me, than that they were intimidated by me or thought I was disinterested, because there's that aloof aspect to me too. ENFPs, being Es, will usually seem warmer & yes, their personality is less hidden. I think the INFP demeanor only suits most people in a one-on-one situation, namely, a "therapy session". So you find people only calling you up when they need that some emotional support.... But that will only happen if you let it. Really, I don't find myself in that situation so much anymore, and it's because I've worked on being less withdrawn when I first meet people & filtering out the emotional vampires.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't know really.

It seems to me that INFPs have the qualities people say they value and want to be around but in reality most find those qualities rather dull, if not unsexy. I also think part of the problem is just how much we hold back; it takes work to relate to us, whereas ENFPs are instantly charming. And people often equate our serene demeanour with dullness and lack of personality, which leads them to dismiss us entirely out of hand. I acknowledge this is partly our fault but, personally, I real hate this constant uphill battle to undo everyone's solidified first impressions of me.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I also think part of the problem is just how much we hold back; it takes work to relate to us, whereas ENFPs are instantly charming. And people often equate our serene demeanour with dullness and lack of personality, which leads them to dismiss us entirely out of hand.

I agree with this. If we take the panda vs dog analogy, it's relatively easy to take care of a dog. You can find food for it in any pet store and you can take it to a vet if it becomes sick. You can't do that with a panda :)

Plus the fact that I tend to get moody and cranky at times, and need a lot of alone time to recharge, most people will find it a real chore.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know really.

It seems to me that INFPs have the qualities people say they value and want to be around but in reality most find those qualities rather dull, if not unsexy. I also think part of the problem is just how much we hold back; it takes work to relate to us, whereas ENFPs are instantly charming. And people often equate our serene demeanour with dullness and lack of personality, which leads them to dismiss us entirely out of hand. I acknowledge this is partly our fault but, personally, I real hate this constant uphill battle to undo everyone's solidified first impressions of me.

True.....the uphill battle part, definitely. It's very easy for me to slide into my comfort zone, and then I just come off aloof/dull again. Sometimes I just can't be bothered to care.....

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't know really.

Oh yeah, I hold back like a river. If I was completely unrestrained...

<--- post count could very well be 5,000 at least!

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP

And even if you let yourself go Ne-crazy sometimes, it doesn't necessarily mean that people will understand. It can seem out of character and might even scare some people who have come to see you as someone stable and quiet. These different sides may seem like they should be mutually exclusive... I guess that means that ENFPs are often seen as nothing more but the bubbling kinda thing.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I have met people who have loved me sincerely for me although I always feel like I have to hold myself back. It's not the values, it's all the crazy, dramatic energy I have in me, all the dramatic feelings that will go away when I find my next shiny object anyway. So I mellow myself out on purpose but sometimes I go into overdrive and be so giddy and it is freeing.

Learning Fe and developing your Ne really helps, people. It's not that people dislike/dismiss you, it's because you don't do anything to reach out to them. It's shocking how people respond if you just extend a finger toward them. Really. A lot of people are douches, but even meaningless conversation with strangers throughout the day will make you feel less isolated and more normal. Don't be afraid to just talk.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
On the flip side, ENFPs aren't taken seriously in their natural state.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
People don't like INFPs, because we suck. no really we do.