User Tag List

12 Last

ThatGirl

Default Emotional Evolution

People have always hypothesized about aliens having brains that squish out the tops of their heads. With function capacity evolving to levels of telepathy and other outrages things.

But, today I was reading an article somewhere that suggested human primates may not have always been as emotionally inclined as they are now, and this got me to thinking...

What would the evolution of emotion consist of, (I personally am anticipating the end of the world)?

Such a scary thought.

ThatGirl

No clue eh? Me neither. I will think about it and get back.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I imagine that with higher emotional intellect would come a greater ability to feel empathy, to show more unconditional love, to understand and apprecieate things without a logical analysis. Think of how conventional intellect has increased in human beings over thousands of years, how the smarter we become the better we can make the world; inventions, medicine, technology. The same principle can be used for the emotional intellect; in the next few thousand years our emotional intellect will continue to grow and become stronger; empathy for other and the environment, care for other people, passionate living, all these will be more abundant and stronger among people.

MBTI
    INFJ

This is an interesting question. For me, it's something along the lines of looking back through history to determine which tendencies in the Myers Briggs scale have profited most in society. It's my understanding that E's and S's represent a higher proportion of humankind. I'd look back through history to see if this has always been the case. Or are these groups increasing and N's and I's are decreasing? It would reason that whichever group excels most in society will stand to benefit from evolutionary tendencies of human nature. I actually see people becoming much less empathetic, and much more categorical. So perhaps the J tendency has the upper hand. I'm not as familiar with Myers Briggs as many people on this site, so hopefully someone will say if this theory makes sense or not. It's just a beginner's shot of an answer

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I believe that most of our emotions are covered by the lower levels of our brain: The reptilian mind and the limbic system, aka the mammalian brain.

It's my opinion that the neocortex, or rational mind, largely uses the toolset provided by the lower brains to create complexities and nuance. Something like a basic drive to escape a situation can suddenly become defined as "hope". Various types of aggression get categorized into things like anger or determination.

So what's next? I'm not sure if there are really new emotions to create. If humans continue to get more intelligent, we'll simply find new variations to the same basic building blocks. Considering that many of the 'ugly' emotions, such as aggression and territorialism, are centered in the very primitive parts of our minds, it'll take more than a evolution of our rational mind to remove them in my opinion.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEE

Evolution =/= Progress

The future of our emotions will be, like every other evolutionary trait, changed by the pressures of our environment.

If what you say about human primates is true, the more pertinent question is: what was the evolutionary pressure that coerced us into developing emotions as they are today?

"Neurotic, ha!"
    I let out a scornful laugh.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell.
    I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days.
    "

— Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

^ stress responses - fight and flight - were useful when we had to defend ourselves against nature for survival. we don't have to do that so much today...

now i guess a greater threat comes from inside ourselves and from one another - unintentional injury (primarily car accidents) is the primary killer of pre-reproductive adults, followed by homicide and then suicide. so i suppose emotions that prevented those kinds of things from happening would tend to become more prevalent.

i would imagine a finer-tuned sense of fear, with less explosive reaction, would be preferable over more intense emotional states. we also face more chronic stressors, so it'd make sense that emotions which helped deal with that, as opposed to acute stress (where you could have a burst of energy, kill or flee from the tiger, and then be done with things), would tend to evolve.

so basically i'm thinking more subtle and nuanced emotional states.

ThatGirl

If we look at the development of intellect we can also see the dynamic of emotion.

Right now emotion is simple (we feel it or don't).

But thought was simple, (this can account for a few dynamics of its own, but I won't go there). Thought was instinctual, necessary, much in the same way we (I) view emotion today.

Yet if we look at the development of intellect, what were the most contingent points? The ability to create alternate dynamics. To think outside the box.

If emotion succumbs to the same dynamic, I see it as getting more complicated, conceptual. Grey.

I am sure at one time, thought was considered simple. To think, and therefore act. I am because I think, or something.

But we do not think, and act. Evolution has refined us.

I see the complication and strength of future emotional progress, and personally so, its demise.

I predict more emotional involvement with less personability, and therefore, a greater more loosely defined morality. An expansion,.....

Still thinking it over.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

all i know that if i had any more emotion i would be a complete social leper and questionably psychopathic.
    my etsy Morphochroma

I know you think I'm crazy,
    but most people they can't tell.

MBTI
    INTJ

The development of empathy in humans has to do with that all people have an instinctual need of feeling like they belong in a group. You empathize more easily with people of your own nationality, religion, culture, etc. As atheism becomes more present in society, as new cultures meet and co-exist with eachother, I think we also begin to see beyond things such as race, background or beliefs. Viewpoints change and becomes more humanistic as we realize that we are all fellow human beings who should work together to push forward the human race spiritually and intellectually, to teach acceptance and empathy instead of hate and intolerance.

Or at least that is my theory. Because I do not see how empathy could be rooted in our existence in the way that it serves as a basic instinct of survival, but is instead the product of a herd animal-mentality wich has been increasingly developed as we become more illuminated and understanding about one another, and the differences between humans are slowly blurred out.