User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default INFP: human resources? Educational administration?

I hear educational administration is an ISFJ type of job though human resources has been listed for INFPs.

I am an INFP or rather, I'm an IXXX. That I know for sure. The rest changes but I get INFP most often so I suppose that's what I am. I have a degree in psychology but I have been stuck in this place for years now. I tried grad school but dropped out. Too intense for me. Too much research and also I don't know if I can listen to stories of people wanting to commit suicide or people who have rage issues. I am a shy sensitive guy, you know.

Anyhow, I think I need to make over 50K a year to have a decent life and not worry about money on a daily basis. That means I can't write poetry or the odd article, which I enjoy doing. I won't make a penny. They have to remain hobbies. I think the two types of careers that I listed allow me to make that kind of money...at least eventually.

Why am I telling you all this? I was hoping that some people here have experience with those careers and can give me some advice. I've even considered Industrial/Organizational Psychology and I don't know if that would suit me because that sounds too business oriented and fast paced. I like to be able to connect with people and help them fulfill their potential. I don't mind some unpleasantness but at the end of the day I am a people person so I want to connect with people not see them as numbers.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Human resources could be tough for you - lots of rules to follow, procedure, bureaucracy. While technically it's a "people-helping" role, you'd have to get comfortable with your own values being subordinate to those of the company you're representing. Maybe better suited for an SJ.
    83% I 70% N 64% T 73% P | 5w4 sp/so/sx | Chaotic Good

MBTI
    INFP

Wow, thanks so much Trentham, that's what I was thinking. Damn, it's so hard to find a career where you get to help people and yet not get overwhelmed. I mean I don't want to put too much stock in this whole typology stuff and whether I am a true INFP or not, I do know that I hate following the rules. I have authority issues. The one job that I really enjoyed was when I was working in a medical clinic where my supervisor gave me tremendous amount of freedom so I was essentially my own boss. Yet I hated nothing more than following procedure, doing filing, or similar mind-numbing things. I loved administering this short psychology test which allowed me to include my own judgments and intuition in interpreting results. Alas, that was a very small part of my job and what's worse, my supervisor changed and I ended up with someone who wanted to micromanage me...and that didn't last long.

I suppose industrial/organizational psychology would give me more freedom and flexibility than human resources. Educational admin is probably not much different from human resources. I don't think I'll spend most of my time working with students and watching fulfill their potential. And psychology, well, I already covered that. Too painful.

Well, I'll keep looking. I appreciate your guidance.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i understand your search. i'm going through a similar thing.

i want a job that pulls in the money but doesn't require me to be a fake SJ all the time. or a T.

the job market is slated against NF

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

^ seriously

i could be a teacher but ... i don't really want to be a teacher.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    i understand your search. i'm going through a similar thing.

i want a job that pulls in the money but doesn't require me to be a fake SJ all the time. or a T.

the job market is slated against NF
    I know it, it blows. The wheel of life is intent on weeding out the compassionate, the idealistic, the sensitive, and the romantic.

But I'm more resilient. I'll find my niche without having to sacrifice who I am and my core values. Things would have been much easier if I were greatly talented in math or computers. I could be an engineer, make decent money by working only a few days a week, then use the rest of my time for creative endeavors and maybe start my own foundation and help people out in my own way. I am so tempted to get my bachelor's in computer science...I'll make 50k for sure. But can I sit in a cubicle 8 hours a day writing codes like a robot?

Well, if I were to compare math and computer science, I actually have SOME talent in math whereas nearly none in comp sci. So I guess I could get my masters in psychology (you need math/stats for research) but I'll end up doing research for 30k a year or else see patients for just about the same, and I won't have any time off either. At least that'll be more meaningful than writing codes.

I even considered graphic design but I chatted with someone online who told me you have to constantly "sell yourself" and how hard that is and that now he works in McDonalds. I don't know who to believe. I had looked up stats online and people start out making 35k with a median salary of 50k mid-career, so I don't know....

Lots of people have told me I would make a good teacher/professor but that's out too. First off, I am shy so I don't know how I feel standing in front of a class everyday. Not just that, but dealing with a bunch of kids who want to be defiant and act like an ass! Heck, I haven't forgotten high school. I was glad when it was over.

Okay, what else (I'm reading some suggested careers....), ministry! That's a laugh. I'm more spiritual and I don't know how I feel about being a religious authority figure.

Ah, screw this, I'll do what my uncle did...marry a chick from a rich family.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Ah, screw this, I'll do what my uncle did...marry a chick from a rich family.

actually, if you really like computers, i know a bit of coding and it's really not brainless at all. it can be tedious sometimes but it can also be creative and challenging, and depending on what you do with it, it can be very meaningful. my first professional website was for a group working to raise diversity awareness. i feel like web design is better left as a freelance hobby, though. currently the economy just isn't very promising for a beginning designer. still - some people have managed to pull stuff like that off. look at webcomic artists like jeph jacques, i'm pretty sure his fulltime job is his comic.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post

actually, if you really like computers, i know a bit of coding and it's really not brainless at all. it can be tedious sometimes but it can also be creative and challenging, and depending on what you do with it, it can be very meaningful. my first professional website was for a group working to raise diversity awareness. i feel like web design is better left as a freelance hobby, though. currently the economy just isn't very promising for a beginning designer. still - some people have managed to pull stuff like that off. look at webcomic artists like jeph jacques, i'm pretty sure his fulltime job is his comic.
    Interesting. I haven't done programming but I figured it's something like the movie "Office Space", depressed folks in cubicles doing mind-numbing work. Yeah, I know, I'm clueless. But that sounds good though. I did some pretty basic web design one time (after teaching myself a bit of CSS) and I really enjoyed it. I had quite a bit of freedom so I was able to be creative. As far as computer science, my school offers a two year program for people with a previous degree so I can certainly get a bachelor's degree in computer science and the admission is not that selective either. Of course, I have to look at the market here in Canada, where I live, to see if there are any jobs in computer sci out here.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w6

What job aspects are most important to you? Presently I have no boss, no bureaucratic paperwork, no annoying meetings nor exasperating co-workers, and I get to help people one on one and/or help myself every day without overwhelm. I had just the opposite scenario when I used my university degrees in engineering.

My advice is to make a list of what you enjoy and see if you can craft a working life from those things. Is career counseling an option? Life Coaching? Bodywork of some sort? In many bodywork modalities you talk initially but the rest of the session is non-verbal which is a great INFP option.

I drink your milkshake. Thessaly's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Human Resources is dominated by SJs. It's just an SJ type of business function so be prepared to get structured and sensible! It's probably the only business related area where you can somewhat connect with people so it may not be bad for you. I personally didn't care for it, although Ne is excellent for intuitively understanding people and dealing with them.
    With dreamers, pure and simple, the imagination remains a vaguely sketched inner affair. It is not embodied in any aesthetic or practical invention. Reverie is the equivalent of weak desires. Dreamers are the aboulics of the creative imagination.