User Tag List

First 678

Results 71 to 79 of 79

  1. #71
    Senior Member Eckhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post


    The INFP growing process can feel kinda like this at times
    Haha, well put. But I hope still it will end up as a master-crafted, sharp sword in the end

  2. #72
    Supreme High Commander Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    1,108

    Default

    As with any type, problems such as low self esteem can often be traced back to the lower order functions. In the specific case of INFP with low self esteem I can see two roots that might be common. The first of these is an Fi-Si loop that causes the INFP to subscribe to moral standards that are impossibly high, meaning that they can never meet their own expectations. It is usually the weak Si that is at fault here.

    The second is the inferior Te. The natural IFP tendancy to avoid Te drives leads to them having trouble dealing with outside pressures. This leaves them feeling weak and inadequate, even if they have high academic grades because when the hammer of reality comes down they afraid that they shy away and fail.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

  3. #73
    Senior Member Synapse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Socionics
    INFp
    Posts
    3,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I have a feeling, tkae, that you're not feeling so hot right now. But be assured that having the INFP personality type is NOT a curse, and you do have strengths that others can & will appreciate. You will find a way to demonstrate them, but you need to see yourself as capable first. I think INFPs can be our own worst enemies...
    Yeah this. Give it time and build your resilience.

  4. #74
    Senior Member Synapse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Socionics
    INFp
    Posts
    3,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Yeah. This schooling system is clearly not the best way for us to learn. If I come across any subject that I know I will need, I will learn it fast and thoroughly, at least to the point when it's use is still important for me.
    Ha, we should employ the aid of FPPE.


    *Unleashes Flying Purple People Eater*

    Wait!

    [youtube="oXH9Vt6dRwU"]TPPE[/youtube]
    *Unleashes The Purple People Eater!*


  5. #75
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    First, I think INFPs are quite resilient. Idealism does that to you - it creates hope for the future. I know I am an emotionally strong person, and I find myself coping a lot better with life issues than some I observe around me. That may just be me, but I don't think I am a special case when it comes to INFPs.
    Definitely. The resilience is just not the sort of "toughness" people expect it to be. I don't know if anyone relates, but I think that the main reason we are resilient comes from not guarding against pain. Not being tough, but letting it in. I think that when you break a person with a hard shell, they will crack to the core. But what do you need to break a person with a soft outside and tough inside? This symbolism is quite important to me. I don't guard much of my ego, but the part that I guard is guarded very well.

  6. #76
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    256

    Default

    [QUOTE=tkae.;1365872]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything

    I mean, seriously. Grab the object closest to you and hold it up to an INFP, and there's a high probability that we'll feel inferior in some way :blushing:



    They might feel it very strongly, but there's only one other type that has Introverted Feeling as its primary function.

    And that type is ISFP, who has Extroverted Sensing as their secondary function, as opposed to our Extroverted Intuition. Their Se means that their outward expression of their feelings are in words and ways that the rest of the world can readily understand.

    With us, we can't even express ourselves sensibly. To other people, our feelings that we're trying to convey are just us talking jibberish, which supercharges our isolation from the rest of the world, and drives us further inward by torturing us with the inability to actually empathize with anyone else (other than INFPs, who we rarely find in the real world).Our situation of being twice removed from the world by our Primary and Secondary functions is unlike any other type in the whole MBTI system. And when you're growing up being told that you're stupid or that you make no sense and that you're wrong, so you should just shut up... yeah.[QUOTE=tkae.;1365872


    Fortunately, I didn't grow up being told anything derogatory by my family, but I had some who thought I was out there or too dreamy. I always have trouble expressing my feelings clearly because I've usually thought so much about them and imagined various conversations that I lose my way to my own feelings. In other words, I lose track of how I really feel, how much I should say, and if it's the right thing to say. Wondering if something is the right thing to say freezes me. I feel that I won't say what I really want to say and what I've practiced in my imagination and instead will say something that might be misunderstood. This only happens when I care deeply for someone and am thinking it would be good to express how I feel since the other person can't read my mind. It is like being "twice removed from the world." I live in a world (which is the real world, by the way, not somewhere in the clouds...just not the world most people feel comfortable in or readily understand) in which I have an antenna for all that's unspoken or unseen. When I pick up on other's feelings, it's enormously satisfying to me because that [I]is[/I] life. I often feel my feelings must be transparent because that's how others appear to me. I still think, though, that actual words need to said to verify what I'm picking up on (or not). And when it's not your strongest suit, it can feel isolating because I never get around to actually saying what I'm really feeling. I sometimes feel that more resiliant people are just expressing their feelings all over the place, perfection be damned. And living more richly than I am, which is where the isolation comes in. Especially since I love connection.

  7. #77
    Charting a course
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tkae. View Post

    I mean, seriously. Grab the object closest to you and hold it up to an INFP, and there's a high probability that we'll feel inferior in some way
    Like hell.

    I have my self esteem issues like anyone else. But mostly I feel sorry for the humorless/emotionless drones that make up a vast majority of the human population on this planet. They go through life not appearing to feel anything, other than an occasional twinge of envy or lust because someone has something they don't. Then they go back to their six pack of beer, and Jerry Springer marathon. The epitome of civilization...

    I'll take the occasional bout with low self esteem, rather than just taking what's given, and being satisfied. It's what keeps me trying to improve myself.
    Last edited by Biaxident; 10-16-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Grammar police...

  8. #78
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    Like hell.
    ^ Yeah! Like hell!!!
    I agree with what you said.

  9. #79
    Senior Member Rebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    1,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    Like hell.

    I have my self esteem issues like anyone else. But mostly I feel sorry for the humorless/emotionless drones that make up a vast majority of the human population on this planet. They go through life not appearing to feel anything, other than an occasional twinge of envy or lust because someone has something they don't. Then they go back to their six pack of beer, and Jerry Springer marathon, the epitome of civilization...

    I'll take the occasional bout with low self esteem, rather than just taking what's given, and being satisfied. It's what keeps me trying to improve myself.
    Exactly.

Similar Threads

  1. [Si] Coward with no money, and low self esteem...seeking attractive and intelligent woman.
    By EnflamedHeartofSand in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-07-2013, 03:53 PM
  2. [INTP] INTP and low self-esteem
    By yenom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 12:34 AM
  3. INTJ and low self-esteem?
    By Jonathan in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-30-2012, 12:09 AM
  4. [NF] NF and Sensuality+ low self-esteem
    By Hang in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 03:03 AM
  5. Humility, confidence, low self-esteem, and arrogance
    By ygolo in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 10-26-2008, 08:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO