MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post

The INFP growing process can feel kinda like this at times
    Haha, well put. But I hope still it will end up as a master-crafted, sharp sword in the end

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

As with any type, problems such as low self esteem can often be traced back to the lower order functions. In the specific case of INFP with low self esteem I can see two roots that might be common. The first of these is an Fi-Si loop that causes the INFP to subscribe to moral standards that are impossibly high, meaning that they can never meet their own expectations. It is usually the weak Si that is at fault here.

The second is the inferior Te. The natural IFP tendancy to avoid Te drives leads to them having trouble dealing with outside pressures. This leaves them feeling weak and inadequate, even if they have high academic grades because when the hammer of reality comes down they afraid that they shy away and fail.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I have a feeling, tkae, that you're not feeling so hot right now. But be assured that having the INFP personality type is NOT a curse, and you do have strengths that others can & will appreciate. You will find a way to demonstrate them, but you need to see yourself as capable first. I think INFPs can be our own worst enemies...
    Yeah this. Give it time and build your resilience.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Yeah. This schooling system is clearly not the best way for us to learn. If I come across any subject that I know I will need, I will learn it fast and thoroughly, at least to the point when it's use is still important for me.
    Ha, we should employ the aid of FPPE.

*Unleashes Flying Purple People Eater*

Wait!

[youtube="oXH9Vt6dRwU"]TPPE[/youtube]
    *Unleashes The Purple People Eater!*

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    First, I think INFPs are quite resilient. Idealism does that to you - it creates hope for the future. I know I am an emotionally strong person, and I find myself coping a lot better with life issues than some I observe around me. That may just be me, but I don't think I am a special case when it comes to INFPs.
    Definitely. The resilience is just not the sort of "toughness" people expect it to be. I don't know if anyone relates, but I think that the main reason we are resilient comes from not guarding against pain. Not being tough, but letting it in. I think that when you break a person with a hard shell, they will crack to the core. But what do you need to break a person with a soft outside and tough inside? This symbolism is quite important to me. I don't guard much of my ego, but the part that I guard is guarded very well.

MBTI
    INFP

[QUOTE=tkae.;1365872]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything

I mean, seriously. Grab the object closest to you and hold it up to an INFP, and there's a high probability that we'll feel inferior in some way :blushing:

They might feel it very strongly, but there's only one other type that has Introverted Feeling as its primary function.

And that type is ISFP, who has Extroverted Sensing as their secondary function, as opposed to our Extroverted Intuition. Their Se means that their outward expression of their feelings are in words and ways that the rest of the world can readily understand.

With us, we can't even express ourselves sensibly. To other people, our feelings that we're trying to convey are just us talking jibberish, which supercharges our isolation from the rest of the world, and drives us further inward by torturing us with the inability to actually empathize with anyone else (other than INFPs, who we rarely find in the real world).Our situation of being twice removed from the world by our Primary and Secondary functions is unlike any other type in the whole MBTI system. And when you're growing up being told that you're stupid or that you make no sense and that you're wrong, so you should just shut up... yeah.[QUOTE=tkae.;1365872

Fortunately, I didn't grow up being told anything derogatory by my family, but I had some who thought I was out there or too dreamy. I always have trouble expressing my feelings clearly because I've usually thought so much about them and imagined various conversations that I lose my way to my own feelings. In other words, I lose track of how I really feel, how much I should say, and if it's the right thing to say. Wondering if something is the right thing to say freezes me. I feel that I won't say what I really want to say and what I've practiced in my imagination and instead will say something that might be misunderstood. This only happens when I care deeply for someone and am thinking it would be good to express how I feel since the other person can't read my mind. It is like being "twice removed from the world." I live in a world (which is the real world, by the way, not somewhere in the clouds...just not the world most people feel comfortable in or readily understand) in which I have an antenna for all that's unspoken or unseen. When I pick up on other's feelings, it's enormously satisfying to me because that [I]is[/I] life. I often feel my feelings must be transparent because that's how others appear to me. I still think, though, that actual words need to said to verify what I'm picking up on (or not). And when it's not your strongest suit, it can feel isolating because I never get around to actually saying what I'm really feeling. I sometimes feel that more resiliant people are just expressing their feelings all over the place, perfection be damned. And living more richly than I am, which is where the isolation comes in. Especially since I love connection.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by tkae. View Post

I mean, seriously. Grab the object closest to you and hold it up to an INFP, and there's a high probability that we'll feel inferior in some way
    Like hell.

I have my self esteem issues like anyone else. But mostly I feel sorry for the humorless/emotionless drones that make up a vast majority of the human population on this planet. They go through life not appearing to feel anything, other than an occasional twinge of envy or lust because someone has something they don't. Then they go back to their six pack of beer, and Jerry Springer marathon. The epitome of civilization...

I'll take the occasional bout with low self esteem, rather than just taking what's given, and being satisfied. It's what keeps me trying to improve myself.
    Last edited by Biaxident; 10-16-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Grammar police...

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    Like hell.
    ^ Yeah! Like hell!!!
    I agree with what you said.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    Like hell.

I have my self esteem issues like anyone else. But mostly I feel sorry for the humorless/emotionless drones that make up a vast majority of the human population on this planet. They go through life not appearing to feel anything, other than an occasional twinge of envy or lust because someone has something they don't. Then they go back to their six pack of beer, and Jerry Springer marathon, the epitome of civilization...

I'll take the occasional bout with low self esteem, rather than just taking what's given, and being satisfied. It's what keeps me trying to improve myself.
    Exactly.