• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Quote Thread: Express your feelings or thoughts with a quote

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Augusta (replied the noble Youth) I thought you had a better opinion of me, than to imagine I would so abjectly degrade myself as to consider my Father's Concurrence in any of my affairs, either of Consequence or concern to me. Tell me Augusta with sincerity; did you ever know me consult his inclinations or follow his Advice in the least trifling Particular since the age of fifteen?"

Rambling

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to be itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true.

Oh yes. Fulcrum had broken, but that wasn’t wrong . Eggs break. Horses break. Waves break. Of course he broke. How else could someone so all certain- centered let his perfect answers out into the world? Some things were just too true to stay.

Both quotes are from Slow Regard of Silent Things by Rothfuss

Dopa

MBTI Type
INTP
Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real.- Niels Bohr

Nico_D

The Lost One
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."

- Groucho Marx

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
lost

Lost really has two disparate meanings. Losing things is about the familiar falling away, getting lost is about the unfamiliar appearing. There are objects and people that disappear from your sight or knowledge or possession; you lose a bracelet, a friend, the key. You still know where you are. Everything is familiar except that there is one item less, one missing element. Or you get lost, in which case the world has become larger than your knowledge of it. Either way, there is a loss of control. Imagine yourself streaming through time shedding gloves, umbrellas, wrenches, books, friends, homes, names. This is what the view looks like if you take a rear-facing seat on the train. Looking forward you constantly acquire moments of arrival, moments of realization, moments of discovery. The wind blows your hair back and you are greeted by what you have never seen before. The material falls away in onrushing experience. It peels off like skin from a molting snake. Of course to forget the past is to lose the sense of loss that is also memory of an absent richness and a set of clues to navigate the present by; the art is not one of forgetting but of letting go. And when everything else is gone, you can be rich in loss.

Rebecca Solnit, from A Field Guide to Getting Lost

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Lost really has two disparate meanings. Losing things is about the familiar falling away, getting lost is about the unfamiliar appearing. There are objects and people that disappear from your sight or knowledge or possession; you lose a bracelet, a friend, the key. You still know where you are. Everything is familiar except that there is one item less, one missing element. Or you get lost, in which case the world has become larger than your knowledge of it. Either way, there is a loss of control. Imagine yourself streaming through time shedding gloves, umbrellas, wrenches, books, friends, homes, names. This is what the view looks like if you take a rear-facing seat on the train. Looking forward you constantly acquire moments of arrival, moments of realization, moments of discovery. The wind blows your hair back and you are greeted by what you have never seen before. The material falls away in onrushing experience. It peels off like skin from a molting snake. Of course to forget the past is to lose the sense of loss that is also memory of an absent richness and a set of clues to navigate the present by; the art is not one of forgetting but of letting go. And when everything else is gone, you can be rich in loss.

Rebecca Solnit, from A Field Guide to Getting Lost

The dancer slows her frantic pace in pain and desperation
Her aching limbs and downcast face aglow with perspiration
Stiff as a wire her lungs of fire
With just the briefest pause
The flooding through her memory
The echoes of old applause

And she limps across the floor
And closes the bedroom door

The writer stares with glassy eyes
Defies the empty page
His beard is white, his face is lined and streaked with tears of rage
Thirty years ago how the words would flow with passion and precision
But now his mind is dark and dulled by sickness and indecision

And he stares out the kitchen door
Where the sun will rise no more

Some are born to move the world
To live their fantasies
But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be
Sadder still to watch it die than never to have known it
For you the blind who once could see
The bell tolls for thee

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
a double voice

All through autumn we hear a double voice: one says everything is ripe; the other says everything is dying. The paradox is exquisite. We feel what the Japanese call “aware” — an almost untranslatable word meaning something like “beauty tinged with sadness."

Gretel Ehrlich, The Solace of Open Spaces

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I wish I had

I wish I were a poet.

…the vast majority of the universe is composed of dark matter. The fragile balance depends on things we’ll never be able to see, hear, smell, taste, or touch. Life itself depends on them.
What’s real? What isn’t real?
Maybe those aren’t the right questions to be asking.
What does life depend on?

I wish I had made things for life to depend on.

Jonathan Safran Foer, from Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"A Bird came down the Walk—
He did not know I saw—
He bit an Angleworm in halves
And ate the fellow, raw,"

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain—and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light.

I have looked down the saddest city lane.
I have passed by the watchman on his beat
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain."

Puffypolma

Bizarre Love Triangle
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
“So what’s wrong if there happens to be one guy in the world who enjoys trying to understand you?”
― Haruki Murakami, Norwegian Wood

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
“It is a feeling of relief, almost of pleasure, at knowing yourself at last genuinely down and out. You have talked so often of going to the dogs - and well, here are the dogs, and you have reached them, and you can stand it. It takes off a lot of anxiety.”

― George Orwell, Down and Out in Paris and London

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"In me thou see'st the twilight of such day,
As after sunset fadeth in the west,
Which by-and-by black night doth take away,
Death's second self, that seals up all in rest.
In me thou see'st the glowing of such fire
That on the ashes of his youth doth lie,
As the death-bed whereon it must expire
Consum'd with that which it was nourish'd by."

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
"Care too little, you will lose them. Care too much, you will get hurt."

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing

When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares.

Henri J.M. Nouwen, Out of Solitude: Three Meditations on the Christian Life

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Sharpen your teeth" -Modest Mouse