• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Quote Thread: Express your feelings or thoughts with a quote

Jaguar

Writers aren't exactly people...they're a whole lot of people trying to be one person.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
If you're looking for sympathy you'll find it between shit and syphilis in the dictionary.
— David Sedaris

S

Sniffles

If there is one thing worse than the modern weakening of major morals, it is the modern strengthening of minor morals. Thus it is considered more withering to accuse a man of bad taste than of bad ethics. Cleanliness is not next to godliness nowadays, for cleanliness is made essential and godliness is regarded as an offence....A man’s minor actions and arrangements ought to be free, flexible, creative; the things that should be unchangeable are his principles, his ideals. But with us the reverse is true; our views change constantly; but our lunch does not change.
--GK Chesterton "On Lying in Bed"

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Laurie got offended that I used the word “puke.” But to me, that’s what her dinner tasted like.

Jack Handey

FakePlasticAlice

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
“The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
- Marcus Aurelius

G

Ginkgo

“The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes.”

- William James

S

Sniffles

"The whole tendency of modern thought, one might say its whole moral impulse, is to keep the individual busy with endless induction. Since the time of Bacon the world has been running away from, rather than toward, first principles, so that, on the verbal level, we see "fact" substituted for "truth," and on the philosophic level, we witness attack upon abstract ideas and speculative inquiry. The unexpressed assumption of empiricism is that experience will tell us what we are experiencing. In the popular arena one can tell from certain newspaper columns and radio programs that the average man has become imbued with this notion and imagines that an industrious acquisition of particulars will render him a man of knowledge. With what pathetic trust does he recite his facts! He has been told that knowledge is power, and knowledge consists of a great many small things...If our contemporary belongs to a profession, he may be able to describe some tiny bit of the world with minute fidelity, but still he lacks understanding. There can be no truth under a program of separate sciences, and his thinking will be invalidated as soon as ab extra relationships are introduced."
-Richard M. Weaver, Ideas have consequences

G

Ginkgo

"With no relation to class or social background, whether it suits them or not, people yearn for a dream. Sustained by a dream, hurt by a dream, revived by a dream, killed by a dream. And even after being abandoned by a dream, it continues to smolder from the bottom of one's heart... probably until the verge of death. A man should envision such a lifetime once. A life spent as a martyr to the god named "dream."
- Kentaro Miura

FakePlasticAlice

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
“Centuries ago, sailors on long voyages used to leave a pair of pigs on every deserted island. Or they'd leave a pair of goats. Either way, on any future visit, the island would be a source of meat. These islands, they were pristine. These were home to breeds of birds with no natural predators. Breeds of birds that lived nowhere else on earth. The plants there, without enemies they evolved without thorns or poisons. Without predators and enemies, these islands, they were paradise. The sailors, the next time they visited these islands, the only things still there would be herds of goats or pigs. .... Does this remind you of anything? Maybe the ol' Adam and Eve story? .... You ever wonder when God's coming back with a lot of barbecue sauce?”

-Chuck Palahniuk

FakePlasticAlice

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
“I admire addicts. In a world where everybody is waiting for some bline, random disaster, or some sudden disease, the addict has the comfort of knowing what will most likely wait for him down the road. He's taken some control over his ultimate fate, and his addiction keeps the cause of death from being a total surprise.”

- Chuck Palahniuk

Tabula

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
"How soon 'not now' becomes 'never.'"

- Martin Luther

:dry:

S

Sniffles

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes." - Jack Handey

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
"One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know."

Groucho Marx

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
"Just because someone isn't loving you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they aren't loving you with all their heart"

S

Sniffles

"Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the Sermon on the Mount."
-General Omar N. Bradley

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Every day we slaughter our finest impulses. That is why we get a heart-ache when we read those lines written by the hand of a master and recognize them as our own, as the tender shoots which we stifled because we lacked the faith to believe in our own powers, our own criterion of truth and beauty. Every man, when he gets quiet, when he becomes desperately honest with himself, is capable of uttering profound truths. We all derive from the same source. There is no mystery about the origin of things. We are all part of creation, all kings, all poets, all musicians; we have only to open up, to discover what is already there.

Henry Miller

Beorn

Permabanned
Fairy tales are more than true — not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.
- GK Chesterton

V

violaine

My greatest wealth is the deep stillness in which I strive and grow and win what the world cannot take from me with fire or sword. - Goethe

S

Sniffles

We must know where to doubt, where to feel certain, where to submit. He who does not do so, understands not the force of reason. There are some who offend against these three rules, either by affirming everything as demonstrative, from want of knowing what demonstration is; or by doubting everything, from want of knowing where to submit; or by submitting in everything, from want of knowing where they must judge.

Blaise Pascal