User Tag List

Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Quote Thread: Express your feelings or thoughts with a quote

Default elusive and filled with trickery

The Chinese considered the moon to be yin, feminine and full of negative energy, as opposed to the sun that was yang and exemplified masculinity. I liked the moon, with its soft silver beams. It was at once elusive and filled with trickery, so that lost objects that had rolled into the crevices of a room were rarely found, and books read in its light seemed to contain all sorts of fanciful stories that were never there the next morning.

Yangsze Choo, from The Ghost Bride
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism
    Likes Puffypolma, Betty Blue liked this post

Default cheap grace

In a 2008 essay in the journal In Character, history professor Wilfred McClay writes that as a society we have twisted the meaning of forgiveness into a therapeutic act for the victim: “[F]orgiveness is in danger of being debased into a kind of cheap grace, a waiving of standards of justice without which such transactions have no meaning.” Jean Bethke Elshtain, a professor at the University of Chicago Divinity School writes that, “There is a watered-down but widespread form of ‘forgiveness’ best tagged preemptory or exculpatory forgiveness. That is, without any indication of regret or remorse from perpetrators of even the most heinous crimes, we are enjoined by many not to harden our hearts but rather to ‘forgive.’ ”

Emily Yoffe, from What Do Grown Children Owe their Terrible, Abusive Parents?

Likes SD45T-2, Beorn liked this post

Empress Rabbit Array theforsaken's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    269 sx
    Socionics
    IEI Fe

And when at last you find someone to whom you feel you can pour out your soul, you stop in shock at the words you utter— they are so rusty, so ugly, so meaningless and feeble from being kept in the small cramped dark inside you so long.

Sylvia Plath
    Will you buy me a house of gold?
    And when your father turns to stone..
    will you take care of me?

like snow, like gold Array magpie's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

“It’s dark because you are trying too hard. Lightly child, lightly. Learn to do everything lightly. Yes, feel lightly even though you’re feeling deeply. Just lightly let things happen and lightly cope with them. I was so preposterously serious in those days, such a humorless little prig. Lightly, lightly – it’s the best advice ever given me. When it comes to dying even. Nothing ponderous, or portentous, or emphatic. No rhetoric, no tremolos, no self conscious persona putting on its celebrated imitation of Christ or Little Nell. And of course, no theology, no metaphysics. Just the fact of dying and the fact of the clear light. So throw away your baggage and go forward. There are quicksands all about you, sucking at your feet, trying to suck you down into fear and self-pity and despair. That’s why you must walk so lightly. Lightly my darling, on tiptoes and no luggage, not even a sponge bag, completely unencumbered.”

― Aldous Huxley, Island

Bizarre Love Triangle Array Puffypolma's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I always quote the last sentence of James Joyce's Araby to express my complicated feelings regarding my dreams/fantasies being crushed.

"Gazing up into the darkness I saw myself as a creature driven and derided by vanity; and my eyes burned with anguish and anger."
    I don't want to die in a car accident. When I die it'll be a glorious day. It'll probably be a waterfall.
    -River Phoenix
    Likes Betty Blue liked this post

Senior Member Array RedAmazoneFriendZone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

"You can't fall if you don't climb, but there's no joy in living your whole life on the ground."
    ALL THAT WE SEE OR SEEM TO BE IS BUT A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

*rülps*
    Mankind Divided
    Time will explain.
    ~Persuasion - by Jane Austen

Default The effort to be a self is its own end

Preemptive personalization is seductive only because of the pressure we experience to make our identities unique — to win the game of having a self by being “more original” than other people. That goal stems in part from the social media battlefield, which itself reflects a neoliberal emphasis on entrepreneurializing the self, regarding oneself as leading an enterprise, not living a life. If “becoming yourself” was ever a countercultural goal, it isn’t anymore. (That’s why Gap can build an ad campaign around the proposition “Dress Normal.” Trying to be distinctive has lost its distinction.) It’s mandatory that we have a robust self to express, that we create value by innovating on that front. Otherwise we run the risk of becoming economic leftovers.

Yet becoming “more unique” is an impossible, nonsensical goal for self-actualization: self-knowledge probably involves coming to terms with how generic our wants and needs and thoughts are, and how dependent they are on the social groups within which we come to know ourselves, as opposed to some procedure of uncovering their pure idiosyncrasy. The idea that self-becoming or self-knowledge is something we’d want to make more “convenient” seems counterproductive. The effort to be a self is its own end.

Rob Horning, "Preemptive personalization"

Likes cascadeco, Cellmold, Forever, phobik, noimage and 1 others liked this post

Default peculiar repulsiveness

I meant to write about the peculiar repulsiveness of those who dabble their fingers self approvingly in the stuff of others’ souls.

Virginia Woolf, The Diary of Virginia Woolf

Likes Chanaynay, Kas liked this post

Healer-in-Training Array Morning Star's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

"Wisdom is nothing more than healed pain." -Robert Gary Lee
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/

Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast