User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

If someone tested me on purpose, my first reaction would be to not want to be friends with that person. That falls in the manipulative/arrogant category to me, which think is actually much worse than being greedy.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    This is most succinct and wise.
    :

I 2nd the whole "testing-is-manipulation" thing, although I probably have to admit that I'm guilty of it from time to time. On the other hand, my "tests" are rarely set up. I just see how someone behaves in a situation, and it's usually after the fact that I figure out their behavior which prompts me to realize something about them and if I want to continue the relationship/interaction or not.

A few examples:
    A friend was "my friend" frist, then became a mutual friend of the person I was seeing at the time. Besides the weekly game night we would see each other at, this friend and I would meet on our own around once a week. After the relationship dissolved, I opted not to continue going to the game night, and she stayed in the gaming group. In and of itself it wouldn't have been a big deal, but then she quit hanging out with me.

Because of her behavior in all that, and the way she's treated me since (contacting me only when she needs something from me), I've decided to not have her in my life anymore.

I went on a few dates with a guy I met speed dating, and he made a big show that he was a busy person and starting medical school and how all his time was scheduled and allocated away. The next weekend he called me and wanted me to come hang out with him at a bar across town from where I was at the time. I said "OK", but after thinking about it decided that I deserve to be involved with someone who can schedule time in for me, as opposed to just giving me the immediate scraps whenever he happened to be available and expecting me to drop everything for him. So I called him back and canceled.

I was recently out on a biking date with my INTP, and we were down by the beach. It was a holiday and there were a bunch of people out, who we had to swerve and maneuver around. He also surfs a lot, and after we both commented on the hassle I mentioned that he would probably be happy after the summer was over and he could have his beach back. He said, "I would never presume to think of it as my beach." He then went on to say that it was nice to see people using the beach and if you're biking down the beach you should alter your expectations to account for that. Later when I was thinking about the conversation, I thought his whole attitude about that topic was really nice and agreeable, and I thought better of him because of it.

Enneagram
    1w2

Well, I guess I'm going to have to break ranks here and say I do things like that all the time. I don't part with my hard earned cash, but I do throw out little nuggets and see to the person responds. If you want to call it testing people, then yes, I do it. I'm pretty sure quite a few people have also done it to me and I've either failed miserably or shot to their top spot. I used to do that a lot here on the forum when I'd start threads and see how various people responded to figure out what and how they thought about things...basically where their head was at.

Hell, if I'm going to be judgmental might as well apply a psychometrically valid, double blind, reliable and verifiable yet highly complicated formula that's worked just fine for me 85% of the time. It's my relational FICO score.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Well, I guess I'm going to have to break ranks here and say I do things like that all the time. I don't part with my hard earned cash, but I do throw out little nuggets and see to the person responds. If you want to call it testing people, then yes, I do it. I'm pretty sure quite a few people have also done it to me and I've either failed miserably or shot to their top spot. I used to do that a lot here on the forum when I'd start threads and see how various people responded to figure out what and how they thought about things...basically where their head was at.

Hell, if I'm going to be judgmental might as well apply a psychometrically valid, double blind, reliable and verifiable yet highly complicated formula that's worked just fine for me 85% of the time. It's my relational FICO score.

How dare you break ranks protean. HOW........... dare you.

Hi protean.

I drink your milkshake. Thessaly's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

I've never met an ENFJ that distrusting. Neat.
    With dreamers, pure and simple, the imagination remains a vaguely sketched inner affair. It is not embodied in any aesthetic or practical invention. Reverie is the equivalent of weak desires. Dreamers are the aboulics of the creative imagination.

MBTI
    ESFP

I would take their money and then laugh at them when they reacted. The problem with thinking you're smarter than someone is that you end up making stupid risks and decisions when it turns out you aren't, especially when we're talking about social intelligence. It's disrespectful, and at least when it's me there's a small price to pay for that disrespect.

I drink your milkshake. Thessaly's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Y'all sound like a bunch of moralizing INFPs in here. Quit it!
    With dreamers, pure and simple, the imagination remains a vaguely sketched inner affair. It is not embodied in any aesthetic or practical invention. Reverie is the equivalent of weak desires. Dreamers are the aboulics of the creative imagination.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    I use my animal instinct. I turn my Ni and Fe loose on them to pick them over, and I rely on my gut reaction to them - I believe Se is responsible for gathering "gambler tells". Whatever comes in on that radar is immediately sent down the line to Ti processing, and sent back to me with identifying tags all over it.

How do they "feel"? Grey? Washed out? Fugitive? Subversive? Off-balance?

How do they "seem"? This or that comes out of their mouth, doesn't jive with the rest. Vibes.

How do they "present"? They check out. They do NOT check out. They match their actions. They do not. There's something shifty about the eyes, the hands, the slight body posture, the rise or drop in tone. Liar? Casual liar? Pathological? Wittingly/unwittingly fearful. Standing me off. Coiled up like a snake for NO reason? Is there a reason? Are they reasonable enough to understand reason at all? One arm shielding self. Won't give any ground. I can't/can touch you without an eruption. Etc.

How do they "process"? Data spew collated into sensible analysis, sent back ASAP to my primary functions.
    This is very interesting. How accurate do you find your conclusion about a person in general?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3

I've never done anything like that and I would never do it. I don't test people, I usually assume people are ok and friendly, but I do go by my 'gut feeling'. If somebody makes me feel comfortable from the start I'm happy to get to know that person. But if somebody makes me feel uncomfortable or uneasy when we meet, I tend to withdraw, hide inside myself and act really cool towards this person - basically to try and discourage them from any further contact.
    We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull; some have weird names and all are different colours, but they all have to live in the same box.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
    An ENFJ friend told me that he figures out whatever a friend is really worth being kept as friends by testing them at the beginning of a relationship. For example: he once tested a person by giving them money for absolutely no reason. When the person took it without hesitation, he conclude that the person was greedy and not worth being friends with.

I find that this is a very interesting and useful way to figure out someone. Have you nice people in the NF idyllic find yourself testing a potential friend by deliberately doing something and then observing their reaction? What qualities other than greed are you testing for? Any other ways to figure out a person other than giving out money for no reason?
    yes, I do this quite refrequently, but I think the particular test your ENFJ friend did was incredibly stupid. just because you're willing to except someone giving you money doesn't mean you're greedy (it's called self preservation)
    one of my favorite ways to test people is to simply adopt a straightforward and honest communication style where you don't hide anything or try to impress anyone. anyone who doesn't like what they see is obviously filtered out leaving the people who appreciate your real personality and beliefs. other than that, I simply observe what that person is like when he has power in a situation. power doesn't corrupt people, it reveals their true nature.