• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Upset ENFPs: Handle With Care

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I feel kind of bad now. My initial not-entirely-serious post seem to spawn this huge debate over the merits of venting. Good grief, that wasn't where I was going with that! :shock:

If anyone is responsible for that, it was me for picking up the ball and running with it, so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
If anyone is responsible for that, it was me for picking up the ball and running with it, so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

No you where not to be blamed. It was just what happened and the outcome was bound to happen. Seems like Wonka has done this before, he might be back in a few months.

What is sad in this is that people never tried to see the other side but thought people had a hidden agenda with what was said. I know I did, but it was more because of the tone in the OP. It was like a piss off "dont mess with me" thread.

That might have fueled some of the tone in my response to the OP. But I also wanted to understand/critique what I thought was unreasonable behavior in the OP. And then look at the response I got from Wonka. Instead of trying to understand my oppinion he took a defensive stance. I might to be blamed for my initial response but clearly Wonka never wanted to discuss this, he just wanted to state his oppinion as universal. And not even now do I understand what really was the reasons for posting this thread. And then Edahn responded and Wonka kept going into defensive mode and responded to the tone and not the content of the posts from me and edahn. And on and on went the thread.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I don't think ENFPs are so unreasonable, merely that they get upset when others aren't willing to understand their opinions, just like other Fi-Te types.

Besides they need that activity to sort through their emotions and thoughts on issues. It is important to their health.

Fixed.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
May I be honest?

There may be times when I don't WANT a kick in the ass, but seriously DO NEED it.

My husband (INTP! YAYZ!) does this when I need it. He'll see me acting like an asshole and just call me on it. Of course, I don't like it. I get pissed and morose. But then after I take some time to think it through, I'm like, "Jesus, I was a real dick/being an idiot/mulling and brooding over bullshit that doesn't matter/isn't true/whatever."

Example: I'll be brooding and brooding and being morose and whaaa whaa whaa (this happens when I'm stressed, and it really is unhealthy), and he'll be like, "Jesus Christ, get off your ass, do something, and quitcherbitchin'." I won't like him for it at the time, but then I'll be glad he pulled me out of that sour pit of doom.

Or I'll be pissed off about something, and rather than face the truth, I'll lash out in some form of self-defense mechanism. I don't do this as much anymore, thank goodness, because I've matured a great deal. But then I become a really cruel biatch and I can't think of enough really clever ways to just stick it to someone and twist the knife and rub salt and RAWR to distract myself and the other person from the REAL problem I don't want to face. And then he'll just say, in his cool way, "That was completely uncalled for. I will not be treated this way, and that won't happen again!" I can't do it like he does. Anyway, point being he calls me out on my idiotic behavior, which kicks my rational thought processes back in gear, calms me the fuck down, and I usually come back and apologize for being such a dumb byte.

Point is: Sometimes people need a big major kick in the pants. And just because people don't like it doesn't mean they don't need it.

But maybe that's not true for everyone.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
May I be honest?

There may be times when I don't WANT a kick in the ass, but seriously DO NEED it.

My husband (INTP! YAYZ!) does this when I need it. He'll see me acting like an asshole and just call me on it. Of course, I don't like it. I get pissed and morose. But then after I take some time to think it through, I'm like, "Jesus, I was a real dick/being an idiot/mulling and brooding over bullshit that doesn't matter/isn't true/whatever."

Example: I'll be brooding and brooding and being morose and whaaa whaa whaa (this happens when I'm stressed, and it really is unhealthy), and he'll be like, "Jesus Christ, get off your ass, do something, and quitcherbitchin'." I won't like him for it at the time, but then I'll be glad he pulled me out of that sour pit of doom.

Or I'll be pissed off about something, and rather than face the truth, I'll lash out in some form of self-defense mechanism. I don't do this as much anymore, thank goodness, because I've matured a great deal. But then I become a really cruel biatch and I can't think of enough really clever ways to just stick it to someone and twist the knife and rub salt and RAWR to distract myself and the other person from the REAL problem I don't want to face. And then he'll just say, in his cool way, "That was completely uncalled for. I will not be treated this way, and that won't happen again!" I can't do it like he does. Anyway, point being he calls me out on my idiotic behavior, which kicks my rational thought processes back in gear, calms me the fuck down, and I usually come back and apologize for being such a dumb byte.

Point is: Sometimes people need a big major kick in the pants. And just because people don't like it doesn't mean they don't need it.

Yes that was sort of what I was trying to get at. And that is where I can only disagree with the OP. That if said scenario was done to a person that was the OP that person would continue to lash out to get their ways and wouldnt stop until it was accomplished. Not really what could be seen a mature. It would be egocentric and immature to continue in a behavior like in the OP when others dont want to be part of that and has said so repeatedly.

Most people are reasonable enough to compromise and find a communication style where both involved can feel validated.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This sounds strange but this thread makes me wonder if I'm an ENFP (yeah, I know it's off topic).

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
May I be honest?

It's not true for me. I'm glad I'm one of the rare NF females that doesn't need to be saved by an NT male's quick non-feelings.

I need someone to at least try to understand me, not to ...hit me with a stick all the time.

I get told my feelings are invalid all the time and I'm just good and goddamn sick of it so someone waltzing in and going "quitcherbitching" without even trying to see where I'm coming from would just enrage me. Must I continue to pay for being an NF?

I think I'm pretty good at realizing my own rut and getting out of it as much as I can. I don't need saving.

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
It's not true for me. I'm glad I'm one of the rare NF females that doesn't need to be saved by an NT male's quick non-feelings.

I need someone to at least try to understand me, not to ...hit me with a stick all the time.

I get told my feelings are invalid all the time and I'm just good and goddamn sick of it so someone waltzing in and going "quitcherbitching" without even trying to see where I'm coming from would just enrage me. Must I continue to pay for being an NF?

I think I'm pretty good at realizing my own rut and getting out of it as much as I can. I don't need saving.

I'm like you Vamp, I do not respond well to things like little linguist described at all...

Sometimes not being understood IS the roadblock for me. It's what is keeping me from being motivated. If they would just shut up and attempt to understand then they circle of error would stop...

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4

(said in the nicest tone possible) Have you read this thread?

It is said repeatedly by all "NTs" here that emotions and being upset is totally valid. Its part of being human and we all have emotions and feelings NT and NF. Being NT dont mean dismissal of emotions. And what LL is expressing from her husband is that he just wants to help her calm down and talk things out in a reasonable fashion, where he can actually be a contributor/helper and not just a object to rant at. It does not mean that he's dismissing her thoughts and emotions as invalid. Why would anyone do that? It would be silly and without regard for the other person.

StrawMan

MBTI Type
ENTP
I didn't read the whole thread, but does this stuff mean in practice that:

- If an ENFP is stating an opinion of something that is not that important to me, a good way would just let it be known that he is heard, and maybe agree to disagree if it seems that either is going to change one's opinion or really learn more, and
- when he is stating an opinion of something that is important to me, for example at work, It would be best to disagree in a respectful and nice manner?

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP

It is said repeatedly by all "NTs" here that emotions and being upset is totally valid. Its part of being human and we all have emotions and feelings NT and NF. Being NT dont mean dismissal of emotions. And what LL is expressing from her husband is that he just wants to help her calm down and talk things out in a reasonable fashion, where he can actually be a contributor/helper and not just a object to rant at. It does not mean that he's dismissing her thoughts and emotions as invalid. Why would anyone do that? It would be silly and without regard for the other person.

Where did you read any of that in my post?
My post was a response to LL's post and not this whole pile-on cesspool of a thread. I repeat, my post was only in response to LL's post, not the whole thread.

My point is, if I don't like the way it's said (example: the way LL's husband goes about it is not at all agreeable to me, basically saying/communicating "quitcherbitching" is NOT validation, it's the opposite)- if it doesn't convey at least a smidgen of understanding- I'm not going to like it.
NTs can be very understanding but in order for it to be effective it has to be communicated properly, especially to an upset/pissed off ENFP.

I'm like you Vamp, I do not respond well to things like little linguist described at all...

Sometimes not being understood IS the roadblock for me. It's what is keeping me from being motivated. If they would just shut up and attempt to understand then they circle of error would stop...

Exactly. What LL described is what I absolutely hate about having to deal with NTs etc., Why would anyone believe that saying/communicating in not so many words "quitcherbitching" is validation? Last time I checked that's the complete opposite of validation. It kind of makes me only want to date other NFs or SFs because that's such total non-communicative bullshit it boogles me mind.

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

It is said repeatedly by all "NTs" here that emotions and being upset is not invalid. Its part of being human and we all have emotions and feelings NT and NF. Being NT dont mean dismissal of emotions. And what LL is expressing from her husband is that he just wants to help her calm down and talk things out in a reasonable fashion, where he can actually be a contributor/helper and not just a object to rant at. It does not mean that he's dismissing her thoughts and emotions as invalid. Why would anyone do that? It would be silly and without regard for the other person.

You've never encountered this? Really, you think people don't dismiss or invalidate others? I have encountered it all my life and continue to encounter people like this. I'm not just saying NTs. The types that commonly do this to me are STJs, NTPs, and STPs. Why would they do it? Because they don't feel that way so it's silly, unimportant, wrong, or inconvenient. I'm sure there are many other reasons too.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
Where did you read any of that in my post?
My post was a response to LL's post and not this whole pile-on cesspool of a thread. I repeat, my post was only in response to LL's post, not the whole thread.

My point is, if I don't like the way it's said (example: the way LL's husband goes about it is not at all agreeable to me, basically saying/communicating "quitcherbitching" is NOT validation)- if it doesn't convey at least a smidgen of understanding- I'm not going to like it.
NTs can be very understanding but in order for it to be effective it has to be communicated properly, especially to an upset/pissed off ENFP.

This is rather universal Vamp. You can get almost everyone on this earth to agree with you. In particular me, but its a bit more tolerable aslong they dont attack my intelligence (my weakest spot you can ever push me on). So I totally understand you.

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
This is rather universal Vamp. You can get almost everyone on this earth to agree with you. In particular me, but its a bit more tolerable aslong they dont attack my intelligence (my weakest spot you can ever push me on). So I totally understand you.

I didn't mean to attack your intelligence. The way things are said makes or breaks the entire situation. The way LL's husband does it seems like the typical dismissal routine people do with Feelers.

You've never encountered this? Really, you think people don't dismiss or invalidate others? I have encountered it all my life and continue to encounter people like this. I'm not just saying NTs. The types that commonly do this to me are STJs, NTPs, and STPs. Why would they do it? Because they don't feel that way so it's silly, unimportant, wrong, or inconvenient. I'm sure there are many other reasons too.

:hug:
It kind of makes them seem selfish in comparison to feelers who tend to gather the emotions of others and come to a conclusion instead of gathering individual emotions and coming to an individual conclusion and demanding the other person adjust.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
To untangle the mess that is Ne, you need a sounding board, you need to feel like someone can give you a baseline so you can sort out the emotions going through you.

right. it's a need to hunt out objectivity when things are going apeshit in our heads. our 3rd function is Te, which sends us the FYI that we are not being objective, but the problem with Te is that it cannot be solved internally. it must be used via action. i have discovered that if i write things out, that is a good way of engaging Te too, but to be honest it's much more pleasant to have another person who can offer more support and/or ass kicking than a blank sheet o' Word document.

but i would never expect that of random strangers, or without exchange. instead, in a close relationship, i prefer that this can be my "take" in the give-and-take. certainly i am more than willing to help the other person in whatever ways they need as well. and, let's face it, an objective and enthused ENFP is much more pleasant and useful than an emo time bomb one, as satine accurately phrased it.

GET IN A FIGHT WITH EVERYONE. THEN HUG IT OUT.
:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Okay so to say it again, this is valid. But I just think that what the OP outlined is still going to sound egocentric and immature. Not something I understand that healthy ENFPs would be in their communication. But just remember that when you feel upset you might get so focused on your own emotions that you lose touch with reality.

the OP was - and no offense to wonka, but - strongly and very personally worded. it irks me as well as you. the funny thing, though, is that the OP was also voicing the desire to reconnect with reality. we simply can't do it internally, thus his asking patience in letting us be informative. ENFPs know that we need it, we just have a hard time getting back there because we don't have Ti assistance and Fi is throwing our ability to judge out of whack - unlike in a Te dom/aux where Te can just tell Fi to shut the fuck up until it feels like being helpful again. though the more we develop Te, the more it can help us with that.

I'm glad I'm one of the rare NF females that doesn't need to be saved by an NT male's quick non-feelings.

yeah, brief note to some Ts - because you guys don't use emotions on a regular basis, i think sometimes it's hard to grasp that they can be terribly subtle and very useful on an everyday basis, and not just manifest as tidal waves that mess us up (though to be sure, they can mess us up.)

the funny thing about Fi in particular is that we really appreciate your wanting to help set us straight, but we need to get over things on our own terms. we really love your support and redirection, but just like you wouldn't appreciate an F restructuring your Ti for you, we don't really have much interest in you telling us how we should be, or devaluing us for our way of being. it is entirely possible to be a reasonable and intelligent ENFP, which does entail being in touch with emotion. someone - maybe satine - has likened Fi to a wild horse. amazing to ride, but what a bitch sometimes. and she needs to be - not tamed - but befriended. if you would really like to help us, then point out where we're going wrong. Ti and Te are awesome at this. but we are not interested in hearing that the things that matter to us, should not. just as you are not.

that said, lord knows i could learn a lesson or two from your logic and i generally appreciate and admire you and your rationale. nor does this apply to every T by any means. most Ts in this thread have been great when it comes to all this.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4

I have encountered it all my life aswell.

But I cant change peoples mind, I can only change how I feel about it and how much focus I want it to take on me. I can continue to bitch about it until the day that I die but it will only make me even more bitter and reclusive than I already am now.

And yes some people are idiots and jerks, actually I think theres really too many of them out there. But only I am responsible for my own feelings and emotions, I can blame on others that they made me feel this way, but how does that help me?

And if you know some people will respond in a certain way, why continue the same behavior that will only hurt yourself even more, by engaging them all the time? Its like a boxer that continues to keep their guards down eventhough they get knocked out all the time. Its just as silly as dismissing people.

What Im trying to say is that I understand what you say, sure there will be people that dismiss my feelings, but then I know and can keep away from them in the future.

But when people I am friends with or lovers tells me to calm down I dont neccesarily attribute them into the same category as those that I attribute abusive behavior to. Why would I do that? There is feelings of closeness and a long history of them sticking by me so I when they tell me to calm down I respond more casually and know it is for my own good they say such things. And not because they want to dismiss my feelings.

As I said before communication goes two ways. So I have as much responsibility that the communication is succesful as the other person. As much as that may be hurting my sensitivities.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is the difficult part. What is considered non-imposing?

haha, sorry, i was editing while you wrote this - i know that was vague. maybe it makes more sense now?

what i'm trying to get at is that helping us see rationally is awesome, but suggesting changing who we fundamentally are is really frustrating.

i know the divide between those two probably seems fairly blurry, but i think maybe thinking in situational terms would be helpful. how did the situation logically proceed to me getting so upset? that's what i have trouble figuring out internally, and what i always want to talk about. and what i can do differently next time.

as opposed to how i have things wrong in general (though if you wanna offer that one to me when i'm calm, that's cool. it's just not gonna help anything when i'm flipping out already.)