• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Upset ENFPs: Handle With Care

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
on one hand, i love it when those i love will help me work through my feelings via talking about them. it's how i convert from pure feeling to feeling tempered with logic.

on the other hand, this thread seems annoying in and of itself. i'm surprised as Fi aux, wonka, you are so quick to talk for all of us.

i agree that it sounds like you are being defensive.

ohhhkay. never mind. bye?

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
One thing I know for sure, whether people affirm it or not, is I made this forum more fun, and made some pretty insightful contributions along the way.

I think most of you realize that.

I provide a lot of fun, but since people want to SPOIL MY FUN, I'm gettin the fuck outta here.

Why cast my pearls to swine?

And if you guys had heeded the advice in the OP, I wouldn't be so fuckin emo-hurt right now in the first place, would I? :( :emot-emo:

Once again, the truth I speak has fallen on deaf ears.

Have fun, if that's even possible anymore, in this soul-crushing, boredom-inducing piece of shit forum! :D

I hope you all CHOKE on your seriousness and DIE!!!

LOL. :smile:

As soon as I figure out how to change my password I'll be ridin off into the sunset.......

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
OK, just changed my password.

PEACE, you FUCKERS!!! :devil:

HAVE A NICE LIFE.

I'm OUT.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Awwww... it would've been nice to get to know you more. We could've been perfect, you and I. Toodles! :smile:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
oh quit trying to make a spectacular exit and go have fun elsewhere already.

note: for those who don't catch the joke, most ENFPs suck at actually leaving. :D

ps wonka nothing against you, you seem cool enough. why don't you just take a hiatus and come back after a while?

maybe the timing for your wisdom just wasn't right. :yes:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
An addict has certain needs. Is there a no wrong way to treat an addict? This isn't a debate about moral objectivity; it's about the understanding that certain medicines help relieve symptoms and certain medicines exacerbate them or just don't treat them at all.

This is hardly the same. To untangle the mess that is Ne, you need a sounding board, you need to feel like someone can give you a baseline so you can sort out the emotions going through you. To then be told that *that* is the wrong way of going about it, messes things up even more and causes even more pain...coz that means that you're condemned to that turmoil as the rest has made it clear that your own escape is not acceptable....and that's something that festers, and that acts as a ticking timebomb.

Are we talking about venting here? Because I'm fine with venting. I'm less fine when someone is venting about me, TO me, because I can't detach from that situation and not take it personally. But yeah, if an ENFP friend needs to vent to me, I'm not going to tell them to calm down or just breathe or some such patronizing bs. I wouldn't necessarily want someone to vent to me multiple times a day or something, because that would drain me.

We are. ENFPs need a sounding board, someone who will understand that their rambling is a draft and that helps them untangle the mess in their head. Their head is literally too small at that point to really organize stuff, and it is greatly appreciated that you would help them with that.

I'm not sure why people are having such a hard time understanding the OP. The issue here is about language, I think. Let me give you a uh, subpar example with no real content because I'm lifting from old (un)successful conversations and taking out the personal details :alttongue:

:steam:: blah blah blah
:shrug:: well no, that's wrong.
:steam:: but it just feels like blah blah blah
:shrug:: well that doesn't make sense. you have (x, y, and z) and so even being upset about it is pointless.
:steam:: ....but i do feel upset about it, because (a, b, and c)
:shrug:: well alright but being upset about it is stupid.
:steam:::steam:

vs.

:jew:: well now, do you think that's really accurate? because maybe (x, y, z)?
:steam:: well yeah, but it feels like blah blah blah
:jew:: i'd imagine so.
:steam:: yeah, i dunno why but it just made me feel so blah blah blah because (a, b, and c)
:jew:: i know it did, but do you think maybe (d, e, or f)?
:cry:: yeah i know. that probably is what's best but i don't know it's just really upsetting and it's hard to think things through properly amongst all the inner turmoil.
:jew:: it's cool, you're ENFP

that's it! We're approaching our feelings of conflict and being upset by seeking outside stimulation in order to make sense of it all. Inside i'm so all over the place that i need to seek stability from outside, NOT within...at least not until later when I'm able to take all the info I've gathered from others and have cooled down enough to process it all.

Conversations like the first throw us into further turmoil because it's all criticism and no content; tough love in the form of "get over it" like this isn't usually helpful (there are exceptions, of course).

Conversations like the second, however, are much more constructive. I'm willing to see my lapses of judgment pointed out to me; hell most of the time it's because i WANT to see them but I can't so I'm seeking out others for an Ne-fest.

Like Little Linguist mentioned, my process of "thinking things through" is external and this is what I'm doing: seeking out other viewpoints in order to get the bigger picture. It's not about coddling, it's about needing some help seeing through the fog and this is how i do it. Telling me it might be helpful to think about it another way is helpful; telling me "you shouldn't feel upset" is useless because hello, I'm already upset!

Now of course there is a responsibility on the ENFPs part to walk away from a conversation that is agitating or not helpful; I have to from time to time or it will escalate things and yeah, I don't want that. It's not why I went into the conversation in the first place. but that's not what the OP is about: it's about the OTHER side of the issue and the ideal exchange between an upset ENFP and the lucky other ;)

This. :yes:

The idea is this, and this goes back to the OP. Just because you want to be heard or because you want to vent, doesn't mean you should. Deciding the best course of action requires that you appreciate the consequences of your course of action. With venting, for example, research shows that venting is not cathartic. It might make you feel better in the moment, but in the long run, it leaves you feeling more frustrated. If you want to feel better, then don't vent. Likewise, as I've argued, muting the community's objections so a poster can feel "heard" is a bad idea; even though it might feel good to one person in the short run, in the long run the community as well as the person suffer. Wonkavision took this for granted and made the same mistake you did, equating feels good immediately ("I want") with wise and intelligent.

There are occasions where people stay stuck in the anger they express when venting, true. And they keep on venting. That loop is toxic, no doubt. But venting itself is a natural process of figuring things out, ime. Take that away from me and I will collapse, coz it's the only way I can sort things out.

As to the topic, I will say that it would be wise for an ENFP to have a friend they can do this with, a friedn who understands. Experience has taught me not to do this in a group. Too many people are incapable, unwilling, unqualified and basically uncomfortable with dealing with *that* much intensity. And make no mistake, we are a frigging emo-bomb going off and not everyone knows how to deal with that. Which is natural. We cannot expect others to take care of us like that, just becoz it's something we naturally do with others. That's ludicrous. And to expect a group to do so is...well, setting yourself up for disaster.

I've found NTJs to be ok with listening, even INTPs are not bad at it, when they know you well enough, and if you truly need to unload, get another NFP, INFPs being the best at this (we tend to be too easily distracted ourselves, I think). NFJs are great, but often have a different method for destressing people than what we need, so it depends on whether or not it works for you. Vent to them and once you're passed the emotions, go and ask for advice from T's as they will be more than willing to help you with that part. But it is not fair to ask them to handle stuff they are uncomfortable with in the first place, so get passed the emo-stuff first. You have a right to vent, and to be heard, but those people also have a right not to wanna go near something that makes them that uncomfortable, and not having to deal with something they aren't equipped to deal with.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
See you, Wonka

why don't you just take a hiatus and come back after a while?

:yes:

As to the topic, I will say that it would be wise for an ENFP to have a friend they can do this with, a friedn who understands. Experience has taught me not to do this in a group. Too many people are incapable, unwilling, unqualified and basically uncomfortable with dealing with *that* much intensity. And make no mistake, we are a frigging emo-bomb going off and not everyone knows how to deal with that. Which is natural. We cannot expect others to take care of us like that, just becoz it's something we naturally do with others. That's ludicrous. And to expect a group to do so is...well, setting yourself up for disaster.

Exactly.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
What on earth is going on here? I mean, I don't understand anything, even after reading this thread. Some other thread caused this?

It's like 1+2 = -5
or something.

I found the tone here quite disturbing.

Peace man, and women too!

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What the holy flying carpet tricks bag full of fun in a hand basket up in the attic full of kittens shittin in a mitten is going on in here??????

:shock: :D

You guys went apeshit in my absence!!!!!!! :solidarity: ROCK ON!!!!!!!!! :workout:

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I feel kind of bad now. My initial not-entirely-serious post seem to spawn this huge debate over the merits of venting. Good grief, that wasn't where I was going with that! :shock:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
My initial not-entirely-serious post seem to spawn this huge debate over the merits of venting. Good grief, that wasn't where I was going with that! :shock:

Nah, you didn't do it. The thread was already a vent, and I think someone had mentioned it as well.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Get-in-a-fight-with-eveyone-Then-hug-it-out.jpg

That's how you deal with irate ENFPs. They just want your love.

I don't think ENFPs are so unreasonable, merely that they get upset when others aren't willing to tolerate their opinions, just like other Fi-Te types.

Besides they need that activity to sort through their emotions and thoughts on issues. It is important to their health.

KDude

^I wanted to just say we should hug Wonkavision, but it wouldn't come out right (probably doesn't now either :rolleyes:).

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
I'm not sure why people are having such a hard time understanding the OP. The issue here is about language, I think. Let me give you a uh, subpar example with no real content because I'm lifting from old (un)successful conversations and taking out the personal details :alttongue:

:shrug:: well no, that's wrong.
:steam:: but it just feels like blah blah blah
:shrug:: well that doesn't make sense. you have (x, y, and z) and so even being upset about it is pointless.
:steam:: ....but i do feel upset about it, because (a, b, and c)
:shrug:: well alright but being upset about it is stupid.
:steam:::steam:

vs.

:jew:: well now, do you think that's really accurate? because maybe (x, y, z)?
:steam:: well yeah, but it feels like blah blah blah
:jew:: i'd imagine so.
:steam:: yeah, i dunno why but it just made me feel so blah blah blah because (a, b, and c)
:jew:: i know it did, but do you think maybe (d, e, or f)?
:cry:: yeah i know. that probably is what's best but i don't know it's just really upsetting and it's hard to think things through properly amongst all the inner turmoil.
:jew:: it's cool, you're ENFP

that's it! We're approaching our feelings of conflict and being upset by seeking outside stimulation in order to make sense of it all. Inside i'm so all over the place that i need to seek stability from outside, NOT within...at least not until later when I'm able to take all the info I've gathered from others and have cooled down enough to process it all.

Conversations like the first throw us into further turmoil because it's all criticism and no content; tough love in the form of "get over it" like this isn't usually helpful (there are exceptions, of course).

Conversations like the second, however, are much more constructive. I'm willing to see my lapses of judgment pointed out to me; hell most of the time it's because i WANT to see them but I can't so I'm seeking out others for an Ne-fest.

Like Little Linguist mentioned, my process of "thinking things through" is external and this is what I'm doing: seeking out other viewpoints in order to get the bigger picture. It's not about coddling, it's about needing some help seeing through the fog and this is how i do it. Telling me it might be helpful to think about it another way is helpful; telling me "you shouldn't feel upset" is useless because hello, I'm already upset!

Now of course there is a responsibility on the ENFPs part to walk away from a conversation that is agitating or not helpful; I have to from time to time or it will escalate things and yeah, I don't want that. It's not why I went into the conversation in the first place. but that's not what the OP is about: it's about the OTHER side of the issue and the ideal exchange between an upset ENFP and the lucky other ;)

Okay so to say it again, this is valid. But I just think that what the OP outlined is still going to sound egocentric and immature. Not something I understand that healthy ENFPs would be in their communication. But just remember that when you feel upset you might get so focused on your own emotions that you lose touch with reality. And you might be responsible for people reacting against this in ways that might not be what you wanted. Communication is a give and take, which wonka started fine to underline but he lost track of this in the end of the OP by putting all responsibility of the communication on the other person. That is why I concluded that this behavior must have been meant in extreme situations like death and so on. And not regular frustration that we all experience.

PS what is the difference between venting and expressing frustration btw?

PSS Yes I still think that everyone needs to express themselves it has never been about it being right or wrong to express oneself. If you think so, you seriously need to learn how to read.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think ENFPs are so unreasonable, merely that they get upset when others aren't willing to tolerate their opinions, just like other Fi-Te types.

I was trying pretty hard to get him state his opinions and stand up to them on one aspect of all this but if my options are limited to either agreeing with him or shutting-the-f*ck-up I really don't know what else there is to do...

I mean, how is it supposed to work, this extroverted idea bouncing, if the person is only taking in the thoughts he agreed with in the first place?