User Tag List

First 91011121321 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Me and you probably won't be getting along, realistically.

Are you saying that talk therapy isn't beneficial? Really? Are you saying that when people are overwhelmed by stress that it doesn't make them feel better to scream or cry (even if it's alone in their car or locked in the bathroom or with their face in a pillow)?
    Not with that grammar we won't.

We're talking about venting, not therapy. See Catharsis (hope that links to the scientific study; I don't have time to look right now, meditation calls)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

lulz I majored in English you freak and was a straight A student, I also minored in French and was president of Alpha Mu Gamma one year

I know it's supposed to be you and I, but then again, I also have enough knowledge of dialect to appreciate that speaking "properly" is largley a load of bunk. Southern dialect, ebonics, and interwebz speak are all valid forms of dialect.

I used me and you intentionally. ME FIRST.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

well then i guess it's a good thing that we weren't actually talking about what the study you provided was talking about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by stringstheory View Post
    well then i guess it's a good thing that we weren't actually talking about what the study you provided was talking about.
    It only makes sense that physical tension is released through things like crying and exercise.

I don't give a shit what his article says. I mean, he linked us to a web site called "you are not so smart."

He also has a Buddhist agenda. Just know.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

It only makes sense that physical tension is released through things like crying and exercise.

I don't give a shit what his article says. I mean, he linked us to a web site called "you are not so smart."

Well yeah, exactly. The article itself even admits that "venting feels great", it only claims that it "doesn't do much else".

Which is like, duh, that's the purpose of venting

I'm just not sure what the point is. "you'd all be wrong if we were talking about something else *off-topic study*"?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Crying isn't venting, first off. Second, it's possible that emotions can be discharged by waiting them out. If you think of emotions as linked to hormones, depleting the supply of that hormone by not triggering its production (through acts of aggression, ala venting) would cause an corresponding emotional change.

Double ad hom!

Bushman, Baumeister, and Stack don't have a Buddhist agenda, and if they did, it would still be irrelevant if the research was sound. Besides, Buddhists aren't morons. Here's the same research written up in Psychology Today. Remember, this article was originally published in J. of Pers. & Soc. Psych, which is preeminent journal for social psychology scholarship.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well, I don't see the results of the study as being conclusive, either. Just because people were less inclined to catharsis when they didn't read the article just means they were following their previous training to be emotionally repressed. The U.S. and England (all English speaking cultures, I think) are very emotionally repressed to begin with...so, not fucking surprising.

It's a philosophical difference between repression vs. expression. I don't think one study disproves centuries of wisdom.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well yeah, exactly. The article itself even admits that "venting feels great", it only claims that it "doesn't do much else".

I'm just not sure what the point is. "you'd all be wrong if we were talking about something else *off-topic study*"?
    Yeah, I don't see how NFPs are going to take too kindly to a theory that states that intense emotional experiences (music, romance novels, horror movies, whatever) aren't healthy or productive.

It's a hilarious example of Ti coming in and telling us we're wrong for being who we are again. It's fantastic.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

It's a hilarious example of Ti coming in and telling us we're wrong for being who we are again. It's fantastic.
    "well if we were talking about X topic then you would all be wrong!"
    *topic is switched by virtue*
    "HA you're all wrong!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

The idea is this, and this goes back to the OP. Just because you want to be heard or because you want to vent, doesn't mean you should. Deciding the best course of action requires that you appreciate the consequences of your course of action. With venting, for example, research shows that venting is not cathartic. It might make you feel better in the moment, but in the long run, it leaves you feeling more frustrated. If you want to feel better, then don't vent. Likewise, as I've argued, muting the community's objections so a poster can feel "heard" is a bad idea; even though it might feel good to one person in the short run, in the long run the community as well as the person suffer. Wonkavision took this for granted and made the same mistake you did, equating feels good immediately ("I want") with wise and intelligent.