User Tag List

First 343515253545563 Last

Results 521 to 530 of 938

  1. #521
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    At any rate, in regards to why people care how others perceive them...could it be embarrassment? Embarrassment that other people would think of them as "angry" or overly dramatic? I know sometimes I don't want people to get the wrong idea about me simply because I care about that individual's opinion of me. I wonder in this case if Tallulah felt embarrassed that the ENFP was perpetuating rumors that she might be an angry person? I dunno.
    Hmm, that could be a possibility... will have to think about it.

    Edit--I honestly don't think that's all of it, though it probably bothered me that SHE thought I was an angry person. I am a super-calm person, and I know that IRL people see me that way. And I knew when she told my friend that I was so angry, that my friend would know I'm not a seething cauldron of repressed anger, so it didn't concern me that my friend would perceive me that way. It really is like Jennifer said--the inaccuracy--that bothers me.
    Something Witty

  2. #522
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    While it may feel like Fe formality to you, there are a lot of the beginning stages of establishing a relationship that we haven't even begun to do. I mean, if we knew each other in real life, I'd put us at an acquaintance stage. I know your real name, what type your husband is, what you look like, and I've seen a few of your interactions on here. That is not enough information for me to base a deep, deep friendship on.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    ^ thanks for that fidelia. I respect your expression and where you are. You're being honest and that's as much as I would hope for. I don't have any questions about it, because I don't want to pry further, and it makes me glad that you've shared as much as you have.

    [...]

    That being said, I'm not trying to skip past anything in the formation of a friendship ... for you and I, I am aware it would take a lot of time. I'm open to that though, so you can consider it an invitation you can RSVP to at any time, and I look forward to getting to know you better too, as you feel is right for you.
    I'm not sure if this post is going to be 100% BS or if I'm onto something, so please keep that in mind. If I'm dead wrong here, call me out on it!

    I think this is a pretty enlightening example of Fe vs Fi in action. Even in the above exchange, where both PB and Fidelia are being admirably honest, it seems to me that there is still a disconnect. (Although very possibly only a slight one.)

    Fe has steps, and needs to undergo a procession in getting to know someone. It's sometimes like an elaborate dance, and each correct step of the dance works towards deeper layers and depth. On the other hand, two Fi users are more apt to keep each other on polite surface levels until they find that Fi-Fi connection that will allow them to take the direct pathway to the other person's core. (Hence the "journey" metaphor.)

    With Fe-Fi, you have one person trying to build a relationship via a process, and the other trying to build a relationship by deep connection. There are numerable ways this can go awry.

    So, using the above:

    Fidelia is saying, "we are at a stage of our interaction where I consider us acquaintances", and seems to be saying that deep friendship, and it's associated incidental revelations, are still many steps away. Fidelia can't (or won't) give PB the deep level honesty PB desires. On the other hand, PB understands and respects this, but then offers a passive RSVP for friendship instead of re-engaging Fidelia at the level of acquaintanceship and building a friendship from there (after which Fidelia may eventually feel more comfortable opening up).


    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Anyway, relevance ... there's a lot of factors that go into how friendships develop and to what degree.
    Even in the above example, though, I wouldn't tell a guy about the exciting changes I'm planning on making in my life just because we inappropriately oogled the same girl. It might be a start, though, cuz us guys do love our inappropriate oogling!!

  3. #523
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    I'm not sure if this post is going to be 100% BS or if I'm onto something, so please keep that in mind. If I'm dead wrong here, call me out on it!

    I think this is a pretty enlightening example of Fe vs Fi in action. Even in the above exchange, where both PB and Fidelia are being admirably honest, it seems to me that there is still a disconnect. (Although very possibly only a slight one.)

    Fe has steps, and needs to undergo a procession in getting to know someone. It's sometimes like an elaborate dance, and each correct step of the dance works towards deeper layers and depth. On the other hand, two Fi users are more apt to keep each other on polite surface levels until they find that Fi-Fi connection that will allow them to take the direct pathway to the other person's core. (Hence the "journey" metaphor.)

    With Fe-Fi, you have one person trying to build a relationship via a process, and the other trying to build a relationship by deep connection. There are numerable ways this can go awry.

    So, using the above:

    Fidelia is saying, "we are at a stage of our interaction where I consider us acquaintances", and seems to be saying that deep friendship, and it's associated incidental revelations, are still many steps away. Fidelia can't (or won't) give PB the deep level honesty PB desires. On the other hand, PB understands and respects this, but then offers a passive RSVP for friendship instead of re-engaging Fidelia at the level of acquaintanceship and building a friendship from there (after which Fidelia may eventually feel more comfortable opening up).
    I don't know if this is Fi/Fe or not (again!) I have noticed, IME, that INFJs are very guarded emotionally. That is, they aren't going to let you in easily. This may be due to the process or "steps" thing, I don't know.

    I've had people IRL tell me I'm guarded or mysterious or reserved though. I'll talk about things very openly with particular individuals - and I find the fact that I can express myself in writing on the Internet makes me pretty open about things I normally might not be. I actually got really pissed at someone on-line because he presumed to know me so well that he thought he knew who I was better than I knew myself, even though I'd never met him in person.

    On the other hand, it seems like I'll just pick particular people and seem to randomly decide to form a strong connection with them. But in my mind, it's not random at all. Maybe that's what you mean when you're talking about the difference between Fidelia's Fe and PB's Fi. Where as Fidelia sees it as a process, PB with her Fi will seem to randomly choose to strongly connect, but really it's just Fi's way of forming closer friendships and relationships.

    I don't know if what i said even makes sense.

  4. #524
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I don't know if this is Fi/Fe or not (again!) I have noticed, IME, that INFJs are very guarded emotionally. That is, they aren't going to let you in easily. This may be due to the process or "steps" thing, I don't know.
    I'd expand that to IFJ. Maybe the steps are more obvious for ISFJ, but they're still there. If you don't have the right "key" / role in the relationship, you only get so far; and you still have to walk through the steps to prove yourself. They'll be very cordial, but there are still requirements to meet before getting "deep" access; you can't just leap into the core.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  5. #525
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Fidelia is saying, "we are at a stage of our interaction where I consider us acquaintances", and seems to be saying that deep friendship, and it's associated incidental revelations, are still many steps away. Fidelia can't (or won't) give PB the deep level honesty PB desires. On the other hand, PB understands and respects this, but then offers a passive RSVP for friendship instead of re-engaging Fidelia at the level of acquaintanceship and building a friendship from there (after which Fidelia may eventually feel more comfortable opening up).
    The only part I specifically disagree with is the passivity on my part. I will keep trying to engage at the acquaintance level, but I feel the blocks between us.

    I recognize that fidelia is in control of how much she allows me to proceed, so my statement is more of an acknowledgement that she is driving the car here.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  6. #526
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post

    I recognize that fidelia is in control of how much she allows me to proceed, so my statement is more of an acknowledgement that she is driving the car here.
    Is this an IxxJ thing, in general?

  7. #527
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I recognize that fidelia is in control of how much she allows me to proceed, so my statement is more of an acknowledgement that she is driving the car here.
    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise
    Is this an IxxJ thing, in general?
    I can't speak of fidelia or this particular situation, but from my own viewpoint, if I want to deepen a relationship, and desire that, I will, and if I don't, I won't. I don't really see myself in the role/capacity of 'allowing someone to proceed' -- I mean, they are, after all, their own person and can do whatever they want and be as open as they'd like, or whatever. It's just that on my end, I may have no interest in reciprocating in the same way. So yes, in that sense, my own choice is thereby setting some sort of vibe as to the nature of the relationship. I guess I never saw this as something tied to any one personality type, though -- I mean, each and every one of us desires relationships with some, and don't go deep with others. And, obviously the pacing is going to vary pretty greatly from one to another; but even for myself, I can't even say pacing is that cut and dry - it's highly dependent on the other person and how the connection between us starts off and whether it flows or not. I dunno.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  8. #528
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,658

    Default

    I actually do agree with Udog on this. And I udnerstand PB's description of driving the car.

    As much as I've learned to Fe it when I need to be in agroup or get to a goal via a group, allowing for the acquaintances phase and perhaps even final stop, when I'm *genuinly* interested in someone, they drive the car.

    What I mean by that is...I tend to want to jump ahead. And I've found that what I consider to be a starting point of a relationship is for them already far into the relationship...it's only once we're at a serious friendship level, that I'll start pacing myself and testing to see if they're best friend material...even soulmate material and perhaps..(if male) lifepartner material. Since many will already hit the brakes long before I do, I usually know what I want already way before they've even gotten their heads around the potential that's there between us. And in most cases, I'm ok with way more intimacy than they are.


    So yeah..they get to dictate where the boundaries go and how fast we go, since otherwise, I'd be ruining it anyways and making them uncomfortable.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  9. #529
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Satine View Post
    when I'm *genuinly* interested in someone, they drive the car.

    What I mean by that is...I tend to want to jump ahead. And I've found that what I consider to be a starting point of a relationship is for them already far into the relationship...it's only once we're at a serious friendship level, that I'll start pacing myself and testing to see if they're best friend material...even soulmate material and perhaps..(if male) lifepartner material. Since many will already hit the brakes long before I do, I usually know what I want already way before they've even gotten their heads around the potential that's there between us. And in most cases, I'm ok with way more intimacy than they are.


    So yeah..they get to dictate where the boundaries go and how fast we go, since otherwise, I'd be ruining it anyways and making them uncomfortable.

    I relate to this.

  10. #530
    Iron Maiden fidelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Posts
    11,132

    Default

    Udog's post resonated with me. Cascedeco describes my feelings on it exactly. It's not that I dislike being friends, but what if I'm at the top end of my capacity maintaining relationship with closer friends and I want some acquaintance friends? Or what if there are other people that I end up immediately connecting with? It still feels like it's an assumption that we're in the car together sharing the same destination. Just because I'm driving my own car, doesn't mean that she isn't free to also drive hers to wherever she would like to be. It feels like an assumption that we must be in the same car, or that choosing to keep things on a lower level of depth is somehow a judgement on the other person or on my feelings about them. Sometimes it's timing, sometimes it's having enough in common, sometimes things change along the way. It seems to me like PeaceBaby either feels rejected if I don't want to take that journey with her specifically, or that she feels like I have too many gates and sometime when I can summon the courage to let people through them, all will be well and she'll be there waiting. While I appreciate the openess, it bothers me because I still feel like she doesn't get what I'm saying.

    Right now, I am browsing in the store. I want to better understand the product they are selling. I've not committed to buying at that store. In fact, I'd like to visit several different ones to see if there is conflicting information or if what one says confirms the other. I'm on a fact-finding mission. I feel like she's trying to get me to seal the deal, when buying something is not even my objective. I want to know how to relate better to Fi people that I love. I'm not asking to go on a Fi journey with just anyone, even if they're a wonderful person. That's no judgement on her. It's not about me having walls up that are hard to get through. It's just not what my initial intent is. That may change, but it makes me feel pressured and obligated, much like if the clerk were to say, "I'll just put this dress away for you in case you decide to come back and buy it". I don't want her to. It's not a bad dress. I'm just not buying dresses right now. I may change my mind later, but right now, I'm not in the market.

Similar Threads

  1. When Fe meets Fi......
    By RedAmazoneFriendZone in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 05-15-2016, 08:09 AM
  2. Fe vs. Fi, Disloyalty, Allegiance, Or the Lack Thereof…
    By Esoteric Wench in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 01-13-2011, 07:55 PM
  3. [NT] Fe and Fi, the NT version
    By BlahBlahNounBlah in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 04-20-2010, 09:55 AM
  4. Let's end the Fe/Ti - Fi/Te wars once and for all...
    By onemoretime in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-16-2010, 12:00 PM
  5. Why does Ti always go with Fe and Fi with Te?
    By sofmarhof in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 02-23-2010, 03:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO