User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE None

Red face NFs, Self-Knowledge & Type: Learning about Yourself from Others of Your Type

Self-awareness may be boosted by close proximity of others of your type.

According to Socionics theory, this is indeed the case.

How would you rate your self-awareness, and has it been boosted from others of your same exact type?

Types with a lower prevalence, I believe, are at a disadvantage due to the scarcity of self-knowledge learning experiences available.

Sure we can still learn about ourselves...while all by ourselves but are such experiences *really* AS helpful as learning from someone else of your type?

Learning about your type is more possibly objective, less subjective (or less painful and thus easier to stomach), when traits are viewed in another person.

Lessons learned from members of your type? Please share....
    Last edited by Afkan; 09-16-2010 at 12:01 AM.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Afkan View Post
    Self-awareness may be boosted by close proximity of others of your type.

According to Socionics theory, this is indeed the case.

How would you rate your self-awareness, and has it been boosted from others of your same exact type?

Types with a lower prevalence, I believe, are at a disadvantage due to the scarcity of self-knowledge learning experiences available.

Sure we can still learn about ourselves...while all by ourselves but are such experiences *really* AS helpful as learning from someone else of your type?

Learning about your type is more possibly objective, less subjective (or less painful and thus easier to stomach), when traits are viewed in another person.

Lessons learned from members of your type? Please share....
    I would rate my self-awareness as "very high", and if it has been boosted by contact with other INFP's, it has not been by much. Actually, I've not many INFP's in my life, and I don't think any in my childhood. I should point out that I would expect INFP's to score extremely high, probably the highest, of all the 16 types. Kroeger and Theusen have described ENFJ's as "relationship junkies" and INFP's as "self-actualization junkies" Self-actualization definitely requires plenty of self-awareness

I suspect that there is extravert bias ["what do *other* people think of me???], and perhaps Fe bias [how do I make other people *feel*] as well, in the assumptions above. In particular, I feel that the following is very biased: "Sure we can still learn about ourselves...while all by ourselves but are such experiences *really* AS helpful as learning from someone else of your type"

I think I've learned more about myself by finding types that are mostly opposite to myself, it really highlights the differences!

I don't know any INFPs, but I'm fairly sure I know ISFPs (they're close, but not quite. I'm pretty borderline, and don't identify heavily with Ne.. although I've typed as INFP years ago, with some consultation, and recently as well.. so I might as well stick with saying I'm INFP.). Two ENFJs were somewhat similar, but different for all of the obvious reasons. NF's are hard to come by.

This sounds funny, but I get a lot of inspiration from fiction. The realm of archetypes, more like. Personally related matters have helped too (for example, I kind of went through a whole coming to terms with family stuff and heritage within the past 3 years.. I suppose that was Si oriented. :confused: I'm better for it though.. It expanded my mind in all kinds of ways I didn't expect. I'd say my Fi oriented "actualization" is from spiritual or philosophical matters..and archetypes, like I said.. and has been a part of me for awhile, and ongoing. This is without ever reading Joseph Campbell either... maybe I should do that).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

I learn a lot from other types, esp. Te dom/auxs, which is my inferior function. Other INFPs or NFPs in general helps me accept myself as who I am. I am always wanting to change, to be better, to be different, but when I express something personal and different and they agree/have gone through the same issue, I feel that perhaps I am not so odd after all. So yes, self-knowledge. Knowing about MBTI helps me 1) know myself and 2) change the weak points.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I learn more from other types than my own really. But I do admire other ENFP's ease with some things. Well, admire is not the right word. Crave. Crave is more accurate.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

What ease...?
    Oh, its
    You

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
    What ease...?
    Going with the flow. Not obsessing over the implications of some of their actions.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I tend to learn more from other types as well, though I don't interact with that many on more than a superficial level. I find the contrasting perspectives and interaction styles informative.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    I would rate my self-awareness as "very high", and if it has been boosted by contact with other INFP's, it has not been by much. Actually, I've not many INFP's in my life, and I don't think any in my childhood. I should point out that I would expect INFP's to score extremely high, probably the highest, of all the 16 types. Kroeger and Theusen have described ENFJ's as "relationship junkies" and INFP's as "self-actualization junkies" Self-actualization definitely requires plenty of self-awareness
    I would agree with Scott here about INFP's scoring highest on the self-awareness but I do think ENFP's are quite high too. But ENFP's wouldn't be that when young but more when they are maturing. If they/we are, lol.

I myself don't think I know too many ENFP's in real life, maybe some, it is difficult for me to identify my own type among other people. But I've learned a lot from ENFJ's in my life (about the feeling!) and from INTP's about the intuition and the flow of thought. I had some acquitances with INFP's and I think that would be very "fruitful" connection in the real life (as well as online). I think I could learn a lot from INFJ's too and NT's. I've had a lot of SP friends and I've learned the enjoyment of life from them but not really affecting my "whole-life-long-self-development-project".

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE None

Hm, interesting
    According to my so-called theory, INFPs may know just as many ENFJs, or even slightly more in some populations, due to prevalence of these types. I agree that INFPs are very self-aware. However, Abraham Maslow = reportedly enfj. Although I do believe that enfjs are synonymous with a life quest of helping others to self-actualize- that is our self-actualization. Or at least that's the case for me.

I suspect that there is extravert bias ["what do *other* people think of me???], and perhaps Fe bias [how do I make other people *feel*] as well, in the assumptions above. In particular, I feel that the following is very biased: "Sure we can still learn about ourselves...while all by ourselves but are such experiences *really* AS helpful as learning from someone else of your type"

I think I've learned more about myself by finding types that are mostly opposite to myself, it really highlights the differences!
    Good pt.

I notice that I learn from all types really.

But sometimes its easy brush off "criticism" that comes from viewing others- since its easy to say, "I'm not like that."

Through this method, we can learn what we are not like, but I am not used to learning what I am like from those I am not like.

That said, Scott, I agree; my statement is very biased, and based on my opinion.