User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: NF Honesty?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    iei

I am apparently incapable of lying, which is not actually a great thing. my husband informs me that if i dont want to tell the absolute truth i will word something in such a way that im telling the truth and making it sound like what someone wants to hear. if that makes any sense (and it probably doesnt.) If i am accused of lying, though, you will see a horrifying side of me that i like to pretend doesnt exsist. latley though i have come to realize that the truth always comes out, sometimes you just have to wait for everyone else to come around to the truth side of things.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by ubee0173 View Post
    I am apparently incapable of lying, which is not actually a great thing. my husband informs me that if i dont want to tell the absolute truth i will word something in such a way that im telling the truth and making it sound like what someone wants to hear. if that makes any sense (and it probably doesnt.) If i am accused of lying, though, you will see a horrifying side of me that i like to pretend doesnt exsist. latley though i have come to realize that the truth always comes out, sometimes you just have to wait for everyone else to come around to the truth side of things.
    This approach sounds dreadfully familiar to me. I'm not proud of the fact that I can carefully phrase things to be technically true, while allowing others to continue to apply their own (mis)interpretations. This rarely ends well, so I try to squelch my tendencies on that front.

I don't claim to be incapable of lying, but I do find it fairly painful and try to avoid it when possible. I just have to remind myself to be direct, at times, rather than merely avoid technically lying.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    This approach sounds dreadfully familiar to me. I'm not proud of the fact that I can carefully phrase things to be technically true, while allowing to continue to apply their own (mis)interpretations. This rarely ends well, so I try to squelch my tendencies on that front.

I don't claim to be incapable of lying, but I do find it fairly painful and try to avoid it when possible. I just have to remind myself to be direct, at times, rather than merely avoid technically lying.
    You are correct, Brother Seymour.
    It is better to be vaguely precise.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ENJF

Haha, I lie about really dumb stuff when I'm drunk.

Example: I spent the night with a guy friend the night before... The next night my mom calls me and I've had one too many shots of alcohol, she asked me where I slept and I'm like, "on his couch.", the next day I talk to her and she asked me about it, just out of curiosity and I say something and pretty much, flat out tell her I slept in his bed. But, yeah, I don't know it's always something really stupid that I would tell her sober. I don't know if it my conscious thinking, mom doesn't want to hear that.. or what. Lol, to add to it I'm 22, like it would matter, she wouldn't care anyway. And no, I'm not a drunk texter, but I will without thinking answer my phone.

I also tend to leave out facts instead of outright lying.
    Last edited by Alexia; 09-16-2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: added more information

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

imo, i'm honest when it really matters.

i white lie occasionally, mostly as a joke. exaggeration, pretending like i did something that i should have done and didn't, etc. i'm a great liar if i want to be though haha. i also see a pretty big difference between benevolent lying and malevolent lying. example: lying to cover up a surprise party versus lying to make someone embarrass themself.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexia
    I also tend to leave out facts instead of outright lying.
    ditto

to be honest (lol) i don't get the RAWRRR HONESTY RAWRRR thing. in fact, it bothers me a good deal, because i see it as a very oversimplified and rather stuck-up way of understanding the world. there are thousands of interpretations and there are thousands of truths, depending on how you look at things. i do not believe in one fundamental Truth. plus, your Truth might be a lie for all we know. remember when "the earth is flat" was Truth? truth seems so simple of a concept until you really look at it. it's much more complex underneath than so many people like to pretend.

to me, two things really matter:
    1. everyone needs to try to be up front most of the time for society to function. if we're all deceiving each other all the time things will break down and be completely counterproductive.
    2. not trying to deliberately harm anyone

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

I can lie, I just choose not to.

1.) Getting caught (when it happens) is more painful than it would have been to just tell the truth.
    1.a.) On top of that, the necessary paranoia to maintain the lie isn't worth it even if I get away with the lie, so...
    2.) Why lie? Communication lets emotions to openly flow between two people, and that's the only way anything can really ever get done in life.
    3.) "Karma". 'Nuff said 'bout that...
    4.) Being honest takes 1/2 the energy and 1/10 the time.
    5.) It makes me feel cleaner inside.
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

Nope. I do what needs to be done to best benefit 1. others and 2. me. Ironically enough that often includes telling to truth. But in some cases it means lying.

What about this situation? You are dependent upon someone for survival (money/food/shelter/either or/etc). But you are something or do something that the person you are dependent upon greatly disapproves. If you admit what you are/do, they will not let you depend on them anymore. Isn't it necessary to lie, even if it's a big one, in this situation?

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

lying to yourselves about lying, that's a nice way of saying it.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Random Ness View Post
    Nope. I do what needs to be done to best benefit 1. others and 2. me. Ironically enough that often includes telling to truth. But in some cases it means lying.

What about this situation? You are dependent upon someone for survival (money/food/shelter/either or/etc). But you are something or do something that the person you are dependent upon greatly disapproves. If you admit what you are/do, they will not let you depend on them anymore. Isn't it necessary to lie, even if it's a big one, in this situation?
    That one's easy, you just don't tell them. What they don't know can't hurt them.
    I tend to lie by omission, and reprashing things so they are technically true. All humans lie, whether it be white lies, or what ever.

Having said that, I don't lie well. The truth is easiest. The only person I have ever lied to is my mother, only because she never could bare the truth. It's easiest not to talk to her, then I don't have to lie all the time. She never believed the truth any way, most of the time.
    I prefer to be around people who I can be honest with, no matter how it hurts or dissapoints them. It's not issue with most people.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    fool

I'm always questioning my motives. I feel like in the past, in the situation, I was acting upon authenticity, but later on started thinking what if I was fooling myself and was indeed manipulating someone.

I think I have a lot of mighty powerful defenses which I don't even recognize half the time. I hate the idea of being inauthentic but I guess it has happened because of them. Sometimes I think I might not even know the real me, so how can I be honest?

Funny thing though, the more honest (in a brutally honest kinda way) I try to be, the more it seems like it's going to come and bit me in the arse. Feelings change, thoughts develop. What might've been true once is no longer. I guess that's how NiFe functions, I just feel like my views on things are constantly changing or open to challenge.

Whatever. I was a pathological liar almost when I was a kid. I wanted to make people laugh I guess. To this day I've had to learn about honesty. And yet I like honest people myself.

I don't make a good liar, but it's frightening how I can sell almost anything to my brain, any idea. And monitorning my motives close enough would make almost everything dishonest.