User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: NF Honesty?

MBTI
    INFP
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Flamingo View Post
    Also, I think you should rip the bitch a new one. Or else find a way to clean up your reputation; I feel you, because recently at my work a 100 dollars or whatever went missing, and I wasn't accused, but I did tell one of the managers (whom I'm friends with) that nobody better accuse me of stealing shit or else BITCHES WILL BE SLAPPED.
    A similar situation happened to me at work once, except kind of the opposite in the end. I worked as a cashier at a restaurant, and the drawer I was using the night before was short something like $40. So the manager called me into her office to ask me what happened, and she was VERY clear in telling me that she was not accusing me of taking it. In her words, it would be "complete bullshit" to accuse me of such a thing, and then she went on for about a minute and half about how she knows I would never, ever steal and anyone who would accuse me of that is crazy. But she had to ask me if I knew what could have happened to the money, like perhaps some bills were stuck to one another when I gave a customer change, or one of the other cashiers could have gotten into my register. I was honored that my Fi was so apparent.

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

This
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Basically, I'm always honest because:

2. Lying bites you on the ass later
    10. It destroys trust
    I can withhold the truth to avoid complications and keep secrets safe, but if asked I have to tell the truth. I'll lie to the police though.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Okayyyyyyyyyy in extreme situations I might lie - but not to my loved one. Only to protect my family if need be. But that's different.

I'd prefer simply to be silent, though.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

In some ways I am probably more honest than others, but sometimes I will lie too. Mostly though when someone bugs me out because he wants something and doesn't accept a no and just keeps on annoying me. Then I will say "ok" but won't do it sometimes. Not nice, no, but it is what the other person apparently wants.

Then I lied sometimes because it is something what would make me feel very umcomfortable if answered truthfully. But I think I am doing it less often nowadays. And probably that is also mostly when people cannot accept a "no".

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I don't think not lying=honesty. I lived 10 years of life where I didn't out right lie. I was a fundamental christian who refused to VERBALLY lie about the most minor details. I was the most dishonest person at that time, because my life was a sham. So to me you can go through live never uttering a lie, but still be dishonest... I pride myself more in being honest than "not lying".
    http://bohemianextrovert.wordpress.com/
    Please excuse the long drawn out ramble above.
    I have to hear what I've said before I know what I think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I am bad at lying. Mostly because it makes me feel like shit and people notice that. This means lying to people I care about. It is almost impossible for me, unless it is something that doesn't matter at all...

But I can lie to unknown people or people I don't like that much, when I think they shouldn't be asking the question in the first place. I don't feel like I am obliged to tell the truth about me to the phone salesman or such. I don't feel bad telling them I am busy, instead of saying that I hate it when someone I don't know calls me and tries to sell something. Usually I do keep in the truth, though... I don't like lying.

I do keep other people's secrets and not tell the whole truth if not pressured.

Quote Originally Posted by angelhair45 View Post
    I don't think not lying=honesty. I lived 10 years of life where I didn't out right lie. I was a fundamental christian who refused to VERBALLY lie about the most minor details. I was the most dishonest person at that time, because my life was a sham. So to me you can go through live never uttering a lie, but still be dishonest... I pride myself more in being honest than "not lying".
    Very good point!

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Anyone coming to the conclusion that I am a liar may very well be correct.

It all depends on where your moralities lie. I lie to strangers all the time, and never think twice of it. (Examples include: I cannot attend a school function because of x, I write my friend's names and numbers down as my supervisors of resumes, I shouldn't be charged an overdraft fee because of y, etc.) These sort of things I care little for, they don't conflict with my moralities. I have no qualms lying my way out of a speeding ticket.

However, when it comes to things near and dear to my heart, I cannot lie about them. I go to stupid lengths to ensure I am not lying, or that I couldn't be perceived as lying.

People accusing me of lying through my actions is what upsets me more than anything else. Communication always breaks down, it's understandable.. But to give an example of what I mean: I had a date that I was considering actually getting into a relationship with. A group of 'friends' were fueling the rumor mill, and soon it got around that I may have been talking to another man.. and instead of approaching me and asking me what happened, he just believed these rumors. Then he was confused when I was furious at him and called our brief dating life off entirely.

The point was, he thought I was lying to him by not telling him I was involved with someone else. He found out the truth far too late to salvage anything we had built up. When it comes to my friends or relationships, I will always come forward and say something. My heart can't handle anything less.

The few times in my life I ever tried to withhold information, they have never left me, and will hold my heart like little weights of shame to remind me why I am honest.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

garbage

echoing a lot of what people said here

When the stakes are insanely low, it's hard for me to care. Sometimes, for example, I'd rather not be probed into sharing particular details to absolute strangers, which would be impossible to avoid if I told the truth instead of a white lie. A mentality of "It's not your business." won't provide me with good customer service, but a mentality of politeness will.

The language of politeness is one huge white lie, anyway. "Do you want me to do such-and-such?" "No, I don't.. you don't have to bother.."

I don't protect my ego with lies, even though sometimes that would be the route with fewer consequences to me. When the stakes are high, I definitely attempt to avoid it.

For some reason, I never get accused of lying, and my friends tell me that I have a lot of integrity. Maybe because they're not the targets of white lies. In actuality, I pull off lies quite well

I can use it as a tool for others' benefit, too. I helped someone I know dearly lie about something huge, helping present a plausible story with every possible angle covered. But it helped this particular person immensely, and that's what mattered to me.

go go personal integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Flamingo View Post
    YOU ARE SO DUMB
    this was literally about ten minutes down the road from me

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I am bad at lying. Mostly because it makes me feel like shit and people notice that. This means lying to people I care about. It is almost impossible for me, unless it is something that doesn't matter at all...

But I can lie to unknown people or people I don't like that much, when I think they shouldn't be asking the question in the first place. I don't feel like I am obliged to tell the truth about me to the phone salesman or such. I don't feel bad telling them I am busy, instead of saying that I hate it when someone I don't know calls me and tries to sell something. Usually I do keep in the truth, though... I don't like lying.

I do keep other people's secrets and not tell the whole truth if not pressured.
    All the bolded.

I will sugar-coat something that might come off as "bad", or I might try to spin it in a positive way but it would still be an honest statement. But to outright just lie to someone, I can't do that to someone I care about.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Oh, I assumed we were talking about people who mattered.

People I don't know or who I don't care about, fuck 'em.