Enneagram
    5w4

i wallow in self-pitty

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx

Yes, very beautiful.

no. sadness is only beautiful when i am learning something from it and when it smells like a new beginning.
    so not pure sadness.

EDIT: All pics from the OP do nothing for me, except that its obvious how badly photoshoped they are.

Quote Originally Posted by ubee0173 View Post
    sadness with that tinge of hope (in writing, music, art) always knocks the wind out of me- in a good way. its the feeling you get after bawling your eyes out for hours when you suddenly realize 'hey- im gonna be okay!' and your heart swells with this weird euphoria and your on top of the world again. if something makes me feel that without having to do the crying part... amazing. there is a song by bright eyes called 'an attempt to tip the scales'- makes me feel that way every time i hear it. so i wouldnt really say its sadness that i find beautiful, but the hope that comes from rising above your lowest. i think as with most nf's, we are capable of feeling immense sadness, but the other end of that spectrum is what draws us to the sadness sort of a 'the lower you can fall, the higher you can fly' sort of thing. we're emotion-junkies.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

No. Sadness is a bad thing for me, and I'd rather get out of it than contemplate it.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    As a minor point of connect, yes -- no matter what I look like, I see the beauty and life in the face of death, and I see the pall of death upon that which is alive. I see it all at once, I can't separate it or stay in the Now. I see someone in front of me, I can simultaneously see them at their decline as well as in their youth. It's all the same to me, and it stirs up a mix of feelings.

Just watched Pan's Labyrinth again over the weekend with my son, and that movies really captures a lot of that feeling for me... ephemerality of life, and what a beautiful and tragic thing that is. That whole concept is only accentuated with existential awareness, which suggests that there is no real eternity where life continues, that death is the end, and yet life and one's existence is even more beautiful because of its fragile, temporary nature.

I would like to say that I disagree with some of the rest, since I find sadness in this vein beautiful and moving... but your comments about masochism might have some truth in them -- the pain and push/pull of opposing emotions for some reason feels pleasurable on some level.
    I balled my eyes out watching that movie.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Not really. Well, certainly there are sad works of art, literature, music, film etc that I find extremely beautiful and moving. But it's not really the sadness that makes them so, it's the whole picture... If I'm going to experience something (in terms of art) that's sad, I kind of want it to be somehow uplifting as well.

I think I was more like to feel that sad was beautiful when I was in my teens. I guess I'm more...practical...now. And I feel like life can be sad enough without celebrating it, so to speak.

I think it's more of an enneagram 4 thing and I am definitely not an e4. My INFJ best friend is, and she is much more drawn to "sad is beautiful" than I am.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING