User Tag List

First 6789 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm moved most by sadness that I feel as a result of a personal experience. I'm seldom in love with a sad situation that I hear about third-hand. But yes, especially in my 20's I was moved deeply by sad situations. As I got older, I discovered that sadness is a luxury, and that most of the time, there's not enough time in the day to be in that place. I have to make time to find that place within me to celebrate what I see as truths that have, typically, yielded a good deal of sadness. Like creating a regular internal mourning period. It helps me come full circle if I do this on a semi-regular basis. But like I said, it's a luxury and I know I'm not supposed to be engaging in this type of activity too often because it distracts me from happiness, which I've discovered, it just as lofty a goal.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    iei

sadness with that tinge of hope (in writing, music, art) always knocks the wind out of me- in a good way. its the feeling you get after bawling your eyes out for hours when you suddenly realize 'hey- im gonna be okay!' and your heart swells with this weird euphoria and your on top of the world again. if something makes me feel that without having to do the crying part... amazing. there is a song by bright eyes called 'an attempt to tip the scales'- makes me feel that way every time i hear it. so i wouldnt really say its sadness that i find beautiful, but the hope that comes from rising above your lowest. i think as with most nf's, we are capable of feeling immense sadness, but the other end of that spectrum is what draws us to the sadness sort of a 'the lower you can fall, the higher you can fly' sort of thing. we're emotion-junkies.
    I will buy you a drink and I'll tell you what I think, and tomorrow, in the morning, I won't be sorry that I didn't sleep.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Only certain types. The stock, cry your eyes out kind feels cheap, like most things that only involve one emotion. The kind of sadness that's mixed with more complex, gritty overtones though...
    "Wait, time out. I just wanted to ask real quick, if I can. You believe in rebellion, freedom and love, right? "

You! Yes, you there! What's on your mind when you're just walking along not thinking about anything?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Yes, very beautiful. Good eye.

Enneagram
    4w5

Sadness isn't a feeling I would wish to keep for long periods of time. I do find it beautiful though. It's been a part of who I am for so long that when I'm sad it's almost comfortable. I am a friend of sadness. When I see sadness from an outside perspective, it truly touches me. Music, art, stories, movies, all of it. It's some of the best art overall in my opinion. It's also kind of more inspiring to me. I can look at something sad and my heart just reaches for it. I can't help but put myself in their shoes. I want to help a little bit, or let them just talk and hope they feel better. It's an expression that is more real to me than anything else and when I'm not sad for awhile and am happy, I don't know how to handle it, though I love it and embrace the unfamiliar territory. I find happiness facinating and also beautiful in a different way, though I'm much more inclined to throw it off as hokey or over the top. I like witnessing a transformation of sadness into happiness. Sadness is completely realistic and I think it's healthy to embrace it when it occurs instead of ignoring it. If you completely let it become you though, it's unhealthy, obviously. I think that embracing it makes you stronger in the long run. Feeling of melancholy or sadness seem to annoy most people though.
    I absolutely love those pictures.

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by kccrush View Post
    But like I said, it's a luxury and I know I'm not supposed to be engaging in this type of activity too often because it distracts me from happiness, which I've discovered, it just as lofty a goal.
    from a personal outlook on inner sadness, I really think those are wise words.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Beauty has an intrinsic sadness in that we perceive it’s ephemerality – we mourn it before it is lost because its passing is sad, and everything that is beautiful must fade, every beautiful experience must eventually end. I think maybe it’s more poignant for Ns since we are rarely completely immersed in the moment, but always looking ahead to what might be and what will be - dissolution.
    As a minor point of connect, yes -- no matter what I look like, I see the beauty and life in the face of death, and I see the pall of death upon that which is alive. I see it all at once, I can't separate it or stay in the Now. I see someone in front of me, I can simultaneously see them at their decline as well as in their youth. It's all the same to me, and it stirs up a mix of feelings.

Just watched Pan's Labyrinth again over the weekend with my son, and that movies really captures a lot of that feeling for me... ephemerality of life, and what a beautiful and tragic thing that is. That whole concept is only accentuated with existential awareness, which suggests that there is no real eternity where life continues, that death is the end, and yet life and one's existence is even more beautiful because of its fragile, temporary nature.

I would like to say that I disagree with some of the rest, since I find sadness in this vein beautiful and moving... but your comments about masochism might have some truth in them -- the pain and push/pull of opposing emotions for some reason feels pleasurable on some level.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

There have been a couple very sad moments in different movies that I have found poignant. I think it must be because of something about the human spirit...

A lot of the times I cannot imagine the present moment or condition is not going to last because of how powerful it is at the moment. But from time to time, I feel a little wistful, because I know that something beautiful isn't permanent, like on some autumn afternoons, with the brilliant trees all around me. It is breathtaking, but a little sad, because it changes so quickly and the colors are gone so quickly.

Is it what you're talking about?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ILI

A long time ago, as a kid, smitten for a decade with my inseparable tomboy girlfriend, I thought I could die of sadness if anything ever happened to her, and I found I rather liked the idea. I wonder what ever happened to her?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    As a minor point of connect, yes -- no matter what I look like, I see the beauty and life in the face of death, and I see the pall of death upon that which is alive. I see it all at once, I can't separate it or stay in the Now. I see someone in front of me, I can simultaneously see them at their decline as well as in their youth. It's all the same to me, and it stirs up a mix of feelings.

Just watched Pan's Labyrinth again over the weekend with my son, and that movies really captures a lot of that feeling for me... ephemerality of life, and what a beautiful and tragic thing that is. That whole concept is only accentuated with existential awareness, which suggests that there is no real eternity where life continues, that death is the end, and yet life and one's existence is even more beautiful because of its fragile, temporary nature.

I would like to say that I disagree with some of the rest, since I find sadness in this vein beautiful and moving... but your comments about masochism might have some truth in them -- the pain and push/pull of opposing emotions for some reason feels pleasurable on some level.
    I think a perfect example of beauty in sadness and happiness, emotions being pushed one way and pulled another, and expressed in the form of art through a movie has to be 'What Dreams May Come'. Transcending from despair to euphoria. It really touches on so many levels of emotion and is stimulating through visual beauty as well. I will admit, I cry like a lil' bitch multiple times every time I watch that movie. Tears of joy and of sadness. It's absolutely beautiful. Celine Deon's song 'My Heart Will Go On' is another example of art that I find so beautiful in it's expression of sadness that I get goosebumps. 'Black' by Pearl Jam is another, though that one is mostly sad with some resolution in the end that isn't quite as happy, but resolution none the less.