Socionics
    ILE

There is no triumph without sadness.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Vamp View Post
    I completely forgot that your opinion is truth. Forgive me.
    Okay. Just don't do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    There is no triumph without sadness.
    Nonsense. You just keep moving words around in an attempt to sound profound. And fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

First of all, like some others, I don't find the OP pictures so much sad as disturbing, or creepy. I actually think there are some pretty nifty pictures there, but they aren't beautiful because of sadness or any other mood they express. They are beautiful because of their artistic qualities.

I guess I'm not much of an expressionist. I'll only bother to ask what mood is being conveyed if I've first decided that the work is aesthetically pleasing enough to be worth paying attention to.

I don't think sadness or any other mood is particularly beautiful. Some moods/emotions/feelings certainly are good and desirable, and sadness is absolutely not one of them. Happiness is in my mind the only really characteristic of anything being good at all. That puts sadness in a bad spot, essentially the worst spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    When one starts saying stuff like "beauty can be ugly" it might sound profound but in reality it's completely meaningless.
    That's because it's a contradiction.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i didn't look at the op because i'm not in the mood for potentially sad pics...but to answer the question...yes i do think it can be...some of the most beautiful songs are ones that break my heart...i find beauty in the things that connect us...the experience so many of us share...that emotion we all know so well...that pain none of us are immune to...there's an odd beauty in that...in the depth of emotion.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post

Nonsense. You just keep moving words around in an attempt to sound profound. And fail.
    But without that sadness/pain you'd have nothing to compare/contrast the triumph with.
    George Bernard Shaw in cartoon form.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

But without that sadness/pain you'd have nothing to compare/contrast the triumph with.
    Yup. You can feel victorious without pain, but you cannot feel triumphant without conquering those who have done you grievous harm.

Sadness is beautiful when associated with "making things right once again." It's beautiful when an intense, but star-crossed relationship comes to an end, because the sadness comes from the warmth of memories. It's not from the loss of something good, but from the realization that it just was never meant to be. It's similar to a beautifully played chord in a sad piece, gorgeous because it makes you feel something, and by god, that reminds you that there's still something human inside you.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

That's definitely not beautiful but I can't just turn away. I have to figure out some way to fight it or "reverse it" by donating or volunteering and correcting others when they spout ignorance about such things.
    I didn't mean metaphorically, i meant literaly...visually.
    Also i'm not sure you purse is big enough or your body omnipresent enough to be able to respond in the way you suggest to everything along these lines that goes on, or (even) that you are aware of...it's just not possible.
    That does not mean you shouldn't try of course, i try myself but it's a long old road.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    I didn't mean metaphorically, i meant literaly...visually.
    Also i'm not sure you purse is big enough or your body omnipresent enough to be able to respond in the way you suggest to everything along these lines that goes on, or (even) that you are aware of...it's just not possible.
    That does not mean you shouldn't try of course, i try myself but it's a long old road.
    I try. I shouldn't but I try. Otherwise it'd just eat me alive. Hard to explain.
    George Bernard Shaw in cartoon form.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I try. I shouldn't but I try. Otherwise it'd just eat me alive. Hard to explain.
    No i get it. I sometimes feel i am a misplaced warrior.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ISTP

I don't find sadness particularly beautiful....bitter-sweet sure is though.
    Weathergirl: District 38 is sunny. Slight rock showers this morning. Chance of rock showers into the afternoon—20 percent. District 39 is cloudy. Chance of rock showers this afternoon—10 percent.
    Edward: Bebop here here! Alright woo hoo!
    Weathergirl: Chance of rock showers today upgraded to 90 percent.
    Edward: Really.