User Tag List

First 34567 Last

It depends on what the component of sadness is. Anyhow, I think the first and second images are just creepy.

^Agreed! I don't embrace joyfully swinging around dead people. How that's associated with NFP, I have no clue.

I prefer the bittersweet to the sad (those pictures just unsettle me). I'm not a big fan of the grotesque in art, though I appreciate dark romanticism.

I also find it particularly poignant in storytelling when the protagonist "loses" but goodness triumphs. Far more touching (and potentially life-changing, if done well) than a feel-good happy ending.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    ^Agreed! I don't embrace joyfully swinging around dead people. How that's associated with NFP, I have no clue.
    I'unno. I want to visit the museum of death. I've never liked horror movies, especially the modern ones, but I have a fascination with real gore. I think La Carmina is INFP.
    George Bernard Shaw in cartoon form.

I feel like vomiting around real gore. I admire people who can stomach it enough to help and be EMTs or to be the guy that picks up roadkill, but I couldn't do it.

Morbidity/movie wise, Tim Burton is my limit.. and I imagine he's NFP too. Ultimately he's pretty upbeat though, right? (except for Sweeney Todd..)

Kultainen Kuningas Devil Flamingo's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    LOL

I think sadness is very beautiful, which is why I love tragedies, and most of my favourite stories and such don't have a happy ending (or at least ones with a relatively happy ending after lots of strife and misery). Sadness in real life is beautiful too, though the difference is we can do something about it, unlike in works of fiction.

I hate horror, gore and such things, though. o_o Not the fictional kind - I find myself laughing at movies like The Grudge, and most forms of horror in fiction is honestly quite laughable and not scary at all (because I can't disassociate it with it being fictional), but the real kind. Films with the Holocaust as its subject, for example? Yeah, I can't really handle those.

So I guess you could say it depends on the kind of sadness; the sadness of two lovers when dying, that's beautiful. The misery of the people who lived (and/or survived) the Holocaust, that's not beautiful, that's horrible.
    4w3 sx/so ·· ISFP (?) ·· rcu|E|n
    gryffindor-ravenclaw ·· chaotic neutral
    leo sun ·· scorpius moon ·· earth dragon

metsän ukko halliparta, metsän kultainen kuningas,
    ava nyt aittasi avara, luinen lukko lonkahuta!

MBTI
    ISFJ

Sadness is ugly and I'm forever the ugly duckling. Does that make me paradoxically beautiful?

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Flamingo View Post
    I think sadness is very beautiful, which is why I love tragedies, and most of my favourite stories and such don't have a happy ending (or at least ones with a relatively happy ending after lots of strife and misery). Sadness in real life is beautiful too, though the difference is we can do something about it, unlike in works of fiction.

I hate horror, gore and such things, though. o_o Not the fictional kind - I find myself laughing at movies like The Grudge, and most forms of horror in fiction is honestly quite laughable and not scary at all (because I can't disassociate it with it being fictional), but the real kind. Films with the Holocaust as its subject, for example? Yeah, I can't really handle those.

So I guess you could say it depends on the kind of sadness; the sadness of two lovers when dying, that's beautiful. The misery of the people who lived (and/or survived) the Holocaust, that's not beautiful, that's horrible.
    Finding sadness/tragedy/pain beautiful does not equal to being immune to or able to make light of the pain and suffering. I think the use of the word "beautiful" is confusing people about how others can find beauty in pain and suffering. Beauty does not have to be pleasant. Beauty can be ugly and unpleasant.

In school, the picture of the Holocaust victims or the butchered face of Emitt Till make me physically ill but for some reason I cannot turn away. The same thing with the written format- historical slave narratives are hard to read and an emotional overload but I'd never throw any of it out or remove it from my studies and collection just because it's unpleasant or physically/emotionally painful.
    Last edited by Vamp; 09-05-2010 at 10:14 PM. Reason: clarity on the value of pain
    George Bernard Shaw in cartoon form.

Sadness can be beautiful when it is presented artistically and speaks to the human spirit. You can say that a sad song is beautiful. Or that a sad poem is beautiful.

Kultainen Kuningas Devil Flamingo's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    LOL

Hmmm, I think I'm beginning to understand what you mean, though for me beauty almost always has an element of pleasantness or some such? Or rather, no, what I want to say is that I prefer the kind that has some element of pleasantness to it rather than one that's ugly and unpleasant and discomforting. To continue with my Holocaust example, a lot of movies with such themes are masterpieces of American and European cinema, so in that sense they're beautiful, I guess. I agree with the last bit (about not throwing out or dismissing this type of things because it's painful to deal with), though I nevertheless avoid that sort of thing because it's too painful for me and I know how I'm going to react (in other words, badly). In high school every time the topic of the Holocaust came up (wether in history class, or the couple films we watched a this one semester or the other) I always got very uncomfortable and squirmy and stuff.

But yeah...
    4w3 sx/so ·· ISFP (?) ·· rcu|E|n
    gryffindor-ravenclaw ·· chaotic neutral
    leo sun ·· scorpius moon ·· earth dragon

metsän ukko halliparta, metsän kultainen kuningas,
    ava nyt aittasi avara, luinen lukko lonkahuta!