You

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

I think melancholy in general can be beautiful in art, music, cinema, and literature. It has a strong emotional effect on me. When it comes to my own life, sadness is an essential part of it, because without sadness, joy wouldn't feel the same. It can be beautiful when the sadness is turned into art and music, which is often the case for me... I need to express it in some sort of creative work. Do I enjoy sadness? Not necessarily, but it is a component of life that I don't shy away from.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I’m a bit schizophrenic on this, and I put it down to being 5 with a strong 4 wing (occasionally I test 4w5). The 5 is highly intolerant of mawkishness and sentimentality and the glorification of misery – it’s self-indulgent and I hate it. But the 4 is also highly susceptible to melancholy (which makes me hate it even more).

So why do beautiful things move us to sadness, or why do we find sad things beautiful? I don’t know. I have a couple of ideas.
    Keat’s wrote “Beauty is truth, truth beauty - that is all/Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know”.
    Schopenhauer said that life is essentially a painful and miserable experience for most creatures, and I would tend to agree with that. So there is a universal truth in sadness that is beautiful, when contrasted with superficial elations and minor triumphs. (That just begs the question, why is truth beautiful? though...)

Beauty has an intrinsic sadness in that we perceive it’s ephemerality – we mourn it before it is lost because its passing is sad, and everything that is beautiful must fade, every beautiful experience must eventually end. I think maybe it’s more poignant for Ns since we are rarely completely immersed in the moment, but always looking ahead to what might be and what will be - dissolution.

Beyond that, I think maybe we find sadness in others (or in works of art) beautiful because it means we are not directly experiencing it ourselves – it’s akin to rejoicing in someone else’s misfortune. As Victor would say, “we perceive by making distinctions”: without sadness, there would be no joy. I think there is a kind of sadism in enjoying another’s sadness, Schadenfreude. And a kind of masochism in enjoying our own. (We all know NFs are masochists ) Of course, masochism emerges as a psychological defense against childhood injuries we are powerless to prevent. Finding pleasure in pain as a way to endure the unendurable - escape through transformation.
    So yeah, a slightly cynical take, but I’m a 5 at heart.
    I don’t find my own sadness beautiful. It’s ugly and dark. And anyone who has really been depressed knows it’s as far from beautiful as it’s possible to get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
    Mostly an INFX thing. The sad fucks.
    Don't be silly. Stop imagining stuff. If you're Ne and inclined to see the big picture, then you would actually search for ways to see it. And not just, like, randomly make up ideas - that's not Ne. That's just being arrogant. It's kind of simple in this case too - you could read to get a better picture of things. Problem solved. I was just reading Naomi Quenk's book on the inferior function, for example. She coauthors the official MBTI manuals by the way, and isn't some random dipshit. So you have a good start here.

She says that INFPs are self-confident, don't bottle up, and are likely to try to confront and solve stressful situations. It applies in all kinds of ways. Also, that they are among the types with the least reported cases of hypertension and emotional burnout. Go figure!

The minute people realize that Fi types are driven by their independence, ideals, and values, and that it is has nothing to do with being highly emotional, then posts like yours will stop (I don't expect that to happen though ).

ThatGirl

I never understood the whole sadness is beautiful thing. I always found sadness just sad.
    Not that I don't respect it, just that I don't find it to be pleasing in any way.

I suppose if I believed in ritual more, the symbolism would seem meaningful, but I don't.

Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

When I think of the best films I have watched, Franco Zeffirelli's Jane Eyre, Christian Duguay's Joan of Arc and The Green Mile come to mind. They made me weep for like an hour during and after the film. I think sadness is beautiful because it so true and so honest.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I'm not attracted to sadness. It's never a theme in the things I make, I feel more attracted to absurdity. Death is a subject, but moarning never is. I once made a portait of myself, sitting on a fork stoicically, while nearly getting eaten by a dinosaur-Pacman hybrid while thinking "Oh, shit". I need to find that painting again, I'm afraid my art teachers threw it away. I also wrote a long story a while ago that was about cannibals, so you could say "getting eaten" is one of my main subjects. It's some sort of fear all creatures on earth have, it's the oldest of fears, that's what I like about it. Sadness, however, isn't as old and universal, it's an emotion that has nothing to do with the survival strategy of your earliest ancestors. Then I haven't mentionned I find sadness really depressing and not exciting at all. The fear of getting eaten, however, is exciting in a strange way, it's essential if you want to stay alive, it makes you want to go faster, stronger, smarter, it makes you go back to your REAL roots. That's why I prefer the fear of getting eaten over sadness.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Don't be silly. Stop imagining stuff. If you're Ne and inclined to see the big picture, then you would actually search for ways to see it. And not just, like, randomly make up ideas - that's not Ne. That's just being arrogant. It's kind of simple in this case too - you could read to get a better picture of things. Problem solved. I was just reading Naomi Quenk's book on the inferior function, for example. She coauthors the official MBTI manuals by the way, and isn't some random dipshit. So you have a good start here.

She says that INFPs are self-confident, don't bottle up, and are likely to try to confront and solve stressful situations. It applies in all kinds of ways. Also, that they are among the types with the least reported cases of hypertension and emotional burnout. Go figure!

The minute people realize that Fi types are driven by their independence, ideals, and values, and that it is has nothing to do with being highly emotional, then posts like yours will stop (I don't expect that to happen though ).
    I was joking.
    Oh, its
    You

MBTI
    ISTx

I don't find any sort of artistic element to it. People are able to channel their sadness into art forms, but as for the emotion itself, it's just.... sad.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

not really. i think it blows.

i think sadness is a useful emotion because it reminds us to slow down and recenter on what is really important to us, and to gather with others, but in and of itself i really think it blows.

there is just that one deep freeing feeling of being at one with everything and feeling strength enough to move on that sometimes i get as i'm coming out of a dark moment that makes it somewhat worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude
    Don't be silly. Stop imagining stuff. If you're Ne and inclined to see the big picture, then you would actually search for ways to see it.
    i think it was in part a joke. but i think amongst the people i know IRL, INFxs are willing to stay in sadness longer than other types. T types just don't emotionally wallow as much and ENF just finds something else to do.